End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Update 2/22: A message from our CEO

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

... For some of us who want to just purchase a few newer Connect or Connect Amps so we can get past this May shut-out/forced obsolesce/split system issue, There may be some economical options out there instead of the reduced functionality (and stupid expense) of the Amp and Port or the environmental disaster of the “trade-in” program.  Of course Sonos isn’t clear about how much longer their so-called (Modern) units will be supported either...​​​​​​

@kassey22000, I know it’s buried several times in the pages of this thread and others, but we’ve committed to supporting our products with updates for at least five years after they’re no longer sold by us, after they’ve been discontinued. And as you all know, we have a track record of doing so for much longer than that. The 2015 Connect and Connect:Amps are only recently no longer sold, or in some cases still available at very limited stock levels. So you’re looking at at least five years worth of updates from when they were discontinued.

Hey Ryan, thanks for your reply and I hope you are feeling better. 

Hey is there a way to tell by serial number or MAC address which components are recent (Connects that have had the memory/performance update?)  That would really help folks selling/buying used (or even left-over inventory at retailers)?  These would have that increased performance that will help them behave better in the system/Sonosnet (words from Sonos support regarding trading out an old ZP90 for one built last year).  Is using the icon on the volume rocker enough? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

So are we done getting updates till May?

@Danos1, assuming you mean software updates, there probably are a few more to come to all devices before the legacy changeover in May.

Good to know, but I meant from Sonos about how they are going to handle this situation post CEO email. Many are still upset after the CEO’s Email because he said he heard us but didn't acknowledge that customers are angry about having to split their older systems or stop receiving feature updates for their newer systems.  Will we have to wait till May till we hear more?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

... For some of us who want to just purchase a few newer Connect or Connect Amps so we can get past this May shut-out/forced obsolesce/split system issue, There may be some economical options out there instead of the reduced functionality (and stupid expense) of the Amp and Port or the environmental disaster of the “trade-in” program.  Of course Sonos isn’t clear about how much longer their so-called (Modern) units will be supported either...​​​​​​

@kassey22000, I know it’s buried several times in the pages of this thread and others, but we’ve committed to supporting our products with updates for at least five years after they’re no longer sold by us, after they’ve been discontinued. And as you all know, we have a track record of doing so for much longer than that. The 2015 Connect and Connect:Amps are only recently no longer sold, or in some cases still available at very limited stock levels. So you’re looking at at least five years worth of updates from when they were discontinued.

Hey Ryan, thanks for your reply and I hope you are feeling better. 

Hey is there a way to tell by serial number or MAC address which components are recent (Connects that have had the memory/performance update?)  That would really help folks selling/buying used (or even left-over inventory at retailers)?  These would have that increased performance that will help them behave better in the system/Sonosnet (words from Sonos support regarding trading out an old ZP90 for one built last year).  Is using the icon on the volume rocker enough? 

Nope, still sick.

If you can see the serial number, there are 4 digits that are at the beginning before the serial number starts (before the 00:0E) which should be the month and year the speaker was manufactured YYMM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

So are we done getting updates till May?

@Danos1, assuming you mean software updates, there probably are a few more to come to all devices before the legacy changeover in May.

Good to know, but I meant from Sonos about how they are going to handle this situation post CEO email. Many are still upset after the CEO’s Email because he said he heard us but didn't acknowledge that customers are angry about having to split their older systems or stop receiving feature updates for their newer systems.  Will we have to wait till May till we hear more?

In that case, I don’t know. But if there is, I’ll be sure to share it in here with you all.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I'm sorry Ryan, but this was not what I was told when I brought into the sonos concept. It was sold as a hifi streaming system which could be added to make a truly remarkable system. But now products have an EOL policy, let me put it this way if I were to see a cake that cost £50 and I know that cake has a sell by date of a week. And there was another cake that costs £20 but has no use by date which one would you buy?? But again you have the £50 cake and the £20 cake both have no use by date, you buy the £50 cake as it a better quality but find out later it does have a use by date how would you feel about that.you would think I might as well got the £20 cake, this is exactly what sonos has done and frankly has killed the brand. Sonos may come up with this solution or that explanation of what will happen but non of the statementments returns us to the status que we had when we brought our systems. The sonos board ignore this fact at the company's peril but it's not to late to turn this around but I fear you won't.

Ryan you seem to have ignored this or I hope just missed it. It would be god to get your thoughts on my example

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

In addition to my many legacy components (2 Connect, 1 Connect Amp, 2 Play 5, 1 CR200), I purchased a pair of Play 1 from Costco in the last month because I thought my Play 3s were overkill in my 5.1 system (playbar and sub) and I could re-purpose the 3s in my guest rooms (thereby introducing more of my friends and family to Sonos). Given this new policy I see the writing on the wall for the Play 1s and Play 3s so no point in spending more money.

I will now, for the first time, try to take advantage of one of the benefits of a Costco membership, the no questions asked return process as I have disposed of the packaging. 

If asked why the return, rest assured that I will be explicit that it is solely as a result of this new policy.

Just wanted to share that Costco had no problem accepting my return. In fact they told me that as these are speakers there is a longer return window than just 90 days. The person at the return counter told me that he heard that something was going on with Sonos.

I will wait and see what is actually announced in May and may choose to repurchase at that time.

Disappointed to say the least will not be buying anymore Sonos and gutted I sold my separate system now. 

Userlevel 1

Well, I have conventional speakers still working fine after 30 yrs and that is what I’m going to stick to or at least just Bluetooth ones. I can’t see why an app can’t be ‘set’ for control of the speakers via any music streamed source. They might not work within newer released speakers but these should be sold as a new line separate from the older ones and the incompatibility defined on release. Due to the uncertainty and the investment I’ve made, 2 play 5 1st gen, 2 play 1’s. It will be my last. Was just going to get a sound bar, not now. Any trage up at 30% would be at full RRP and that just isn’t enough. Bye bye SONOS. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Frankly, this statement of five-year support “[a]nd as you all know, we have a track record of doing so for much longer than that” is tone deaf at this point. Your company’s prior track record is plainly irrelevant now because it’s clear Sonos’ business model has changed. As a multi-room audio company, ongoing support for those core audio features was part of the deal. I understand that the smart speaker business is different, and Sonos’ ability to operate effectively in both markets has expired, but let’s not pretend that Sonos’ prior track record speaks to its new business model.

It speaks volumes that Sonos specifically designed a mechanism to brick Legacy devices and implemented detailed rules for its so-called Trade-up program but was ill-prepared to offer details on the effects of this announcement on its core customers.

Question 1: In five years, it is likely that at least some “modern” devices will become Legacy 2.0 devices. Will those Legacy 2.0 devices need to revert to Legacy 1.0 software, or does Sonos intend to provide its minimal software support to Legacy 1.0 and Legacy 2.0, and so on?

Question 2: The paltry 30% discount contingent on bricking a Legacy device is a clear statement to consumers that Sonos expects periodic obsolescence every 5 or so years. Otherwise, it would make business sense for Sonos to offer a reasonable “tradeup” program to not antagonize its core customers. Is Sonos rethinking the terms of its trade-up program?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

This email (Update 2/22: A message from our CEO) changed my decision: my Sonos systems is no longer up for sale!

But on May 1st, if you don’t have a very efficient way to split my system so that all my Sonos speakers work together and you keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches, I’ll will get rid of them!

Based on the communication we’ve had so far I’m pretty sure the definition of splitting your system is that the legacy and the current will have absolutely no contact with each other.

The whole house audio facility will no longer exit. 

That’s if you personally choose to split the system.. you might want to keep it whole legacy for the foreseeable future. You wil still get the fixes and security updates, just no additional new features or newer hardware. If you prefer to standstill you will lose nothing and still have the whole home audio multiroom experience. 

Again, this is not my understanding. No new features, yes. No new hardware, no. Adding additional speakers and units, legacy/used or modern/new, to a legacy environment is reportedly still going to be possible. Any device added to a Sonosnet receives controller version information from the environment when you add it and is given that version during the setup process. A new device, as any other, will be given the firmware required to operate in the environment its being added to at the time of registration/setup. If anyone has direct info that contradicts this please link it. (seriously, if i’m wrong I want to know).

While I agree that this is what they are saying I have a hard time believing that it will be possible and I have asked this question and was told to wait until May.

Here is why I believe that this will at best be a stopgap solution that will have to be dropped in the not too distant future:

• They have never said that they are going to change the requirement that all components have the the same firmware version;
  • They say they are announcing new features and I can only assume new hardware; and 
  • They have now taken a step back from the cliff by announcing that they will provide fixes and security updates for legacy components but I expect that they will do so if absolutely necessary;

Based on the above I have a hard time believing that they will update the “legacy” firmware to recognize components that are introduced after May, so if you stick with a “legacy” network then how are you supposed to add components that it doesn’t recognize?

Does anybody really believe that Sonos will support the ability to install a version of the firmware that was introduced before the new component was even introduced on the market? Will these new components even be tested to work with older firmware? Will the future hardware even be compatible?

I see no long term path forward for users that decide to maintain a network that contains legacy devices to add components other than those presently on the market, and maybe, if Sonos is feeling pressured, the first batch of new devices.

As I see it, the only way this works is if either:

1. Sonos allows different versions of the firmware to live on the same network;
  2. Some sort of bridge device is created; or
  3. legacy components receive minimal updates so that their version numbers continue to follow that of modern components.

I hope to be proven wrong.

Userlevel 3

https://www.slashgear.com/sonos-nightmare-was-inevitable-24607638/

Userlevel 2

Here in the UK we once  had a high street jewellery shop chain known as ‘Ratners’.

Just like you guys at Sonos they did very well and were very popular with their customers.,until in April 1991 the owner of Ratners (Mr Gerald Ratner), in a foolish and arrogant way, took his customers for fools, and proudly explained that some of Ratner’s products were “total crap” (that is a quote).

This Legacy statement really amounts to much the same thing.

So Sonos are now ‘doing a Ratner’.

Nobody is going to be purchasing Sonos products from this day forth……...That’s a sure bet.

This points to the major problem the whole Sonos community faces, whether or not we have legacy items.

The last email from the company openly admits that they only aim to support products for five years. Who is going to buy their systems knowing that? If sales fall off a cliff, they make no profit. No profit leads to bankruptcy. Then we will all lose support and updates because no company will be theee to provide. 

Ratners went bust…..

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

not great. The wording of that clarification, whilst on the face of it seems to try and backtrack...they haven't stated specifically that the units will work fully for as long as you want them. Imagine spending 2k on a HiFi system only to have to replace it in 5 years because the manufacturer deliberately built it of parts that were non replaceable and would only last 5 years. really angry about this.

I was in the proces of acquiring a Sonos SUB for my Playbar + 2 Play 1 “sorround sound”

Come may, i wont even be ABLE to buy that one and incorporate it into my setup, because i will be in legacy mode to keep my Play 5 in the loop, and a new SUB will probably have new firmware out of the box, that can not be downgraded to run in legacy mode.

So they not only angered a lot of current costumers, making them not want to upgrade, they also prevented anyone with a legacy system from buying any new sonos products in the future because the new units can not be enrolled in a legacy system.

How’s that, for a poor “Lets trip ourselves up big time” decision

This isn’t accurate as to my understanding. One thing Sonos has stated is that it will be possible to add a newly purchased modern device to a legacy network. But quite honestly, financially, if you’re in legacy only, purchase Sonos sub from the used market instead.

The only time this would not be possible (in your instance particular) is if you’ve split the network into 1 for legacy devices and 1 for modern devices, your surround system is on legacy and you’re trying to add the sub to the modern system. (Clear as mud?)
Short answer - if you only run a legacy network to keep everything grouped and happy as it is today (which is what I’ll do), it will possible to add a new device to that environment, regardless of the firmware it ships with initially.

If I’ve missed some communication (entirely possible) that directly contradicts this please point to it.  

Have they said you can add a New modern item to a legacy system?  I had concluded from all the comms that you could not. If legacy and modern have to operate separately, as I think they are saying how would that work?

Any device being added to a network updates its firmware to match the environment its entering at that time. There should be no change to that. If you're adding a new/modern device to a legacy environment, this should still hold true. (I suspect you’ll be a choice as to which you’d like to do at that time.) That’s my understanding
@Ryan S , this would be one time, amidst the fray of this thread, it’d be nice for a quick pop-in.

If you bring modern devices along with legacy devices into a legacy build it’ll still be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale to a legacy system. They’ll all update to the correct legacy build.

I think this is the first time I see that someone say that the ability to add new components to a legacy network will be for “Sonos products currently available for sale”.

As I read it it means that this is only buying a bit of time until new products are introduced. Could that begin to happen in May?

How could anyone GUARANTEE that all unknown future products could be added to legacy systems? It doesn't mean that they definitely won't be. 

Some people are clearly determined to put the worst possible interpretation on everything Sonos says. 

Your current action is-

Holding existing customers systems for ransom who have from one to many legacy items and expecting them to just cough up £100's if not £1000's.  A vield threat to let your own product break and ruin both new and old alike in one swoop. 

Then a sort of half hearted apology about we communicated this wrong ,a restating of previous information and rediculous offer of splitting of legacy components that ruins interoperability which is the main selling point of the system.

Is the person making these decisions out to ruin the company or on drugs?

This action is putting current and prospective new customers who own  no legacy items on notice that they are on the same time line awaiting the ransom note to arrive or expect them to become useless as they won't be able to form a part of the system as they will be split off.

Do you really expect existing and prospective customers  buy into this?

Have you been asleep the last few years?

You are no longer the only player in this market.There are now many other options which are cheaper and higher spec not to mention the nasty and  unethical way you're conducting business.

Did you really think you could get away with this and prosper?

Funny how this is the first I have ever heard anything about 5 years support limit. It was never mentioned  when I was researching and paying  Sonos my hard earned money for their premium products.

As many have said this is a Ratner moment and the damage could be too big to recover from.

Prospective and old customers trust in the brand is now gone.

Sonos,well done on committing suicide.

I can see the company going bust in very short order which no one Including us,your customers will benefit from.

R.I.P Sonos 2020

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We who jumped onboard and traded up have now been mislead following these backtrack statements.

The 30 percent discount doesn't come into this. In fact high street prices already have a significant saving on the Sonos retail price so it's hardly been a brilliant deal.

99 percent of the people on this forum will be Sonos supporters/fanatics even.

Look how many are seriously not happy.

Again Sonos need to do something to sort this. In my instance you've had my money and really don't give toss about my old Play 5 that I traded up  So let me keep it and revoke the 21 day brick as a gesture of goodwill!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

How could anyone GUARANTEE that all unknown future products could be added to legacy systems? It doesn't mean that they definitely won't be. 

Some people are clearly determined to put the worst possible interpretation on everything Sonos says. 

I agree that I didn’t believe they could guarantee this given the new trajectory, this is why I’ve been asking the question. This changes the definition of a “modern” component in my mind. I now understand that “modern” does not include future products.

As I assume that your comment was aimed at me, I’m not trying to put the worst possible interpretation on what is said. I’m trying to fully understand what is being communicated and what is clear to me is that the website is no longer accurate.

Here are current examples of what I was told I was buying:

https://www.sonos.com/en-ca/listen-your-way

Create your perfect sound system.

Everything works together, and Sonos works with all your favourite services so you can listen to what you want, where you want, how you want.

Customize your system

Start with one speaker and easily add more later. Stereo pair speakers in the same room for bolder, richer sound. Connect Sub to Playbar, Playbase, or Beam for deeper bass, then add a pair of rear surrounds for immersive surround sound. Hook up your turntable to Play:5 (doesn’t specify Gen 2) or Amp to stream vinyl all around your home.

Listen in any room

All Sonos speakers and components connect over WiFi so you can build the system you want. Put on a podcast in the bedroom while someone else watches TV in the living room, or group all your speakers to play music in sync.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I don’t, with respect, think that’s the point. 

Sonos themselves have retired equipment over the years; CR100 & 200 controllers, for example. The problems for them now are that their owner base is large, there is much more competition, their changes to the product range have been driven by a perceived need to provide functionality that much of that base either don’t want or use at the expense of technical improvements, they are now a listed company with investors to placate, sales to drive up, costs to drive down & their marketing department has displayed grade A incompetence with its advertising strategy. 

A de-facto guarantee has been offered by promising that old hardware will work with their new offerings; that is still the case in current advertisements. Now the company has revealed that it doesn’t have much of a plan for when that promise can no longer be fulfilled technically, although I would dispute that this is the case; thin clients, an inexpensive piece of hardware, for example. Instead, a clunky solution of splitting systems is touted; the promise remains unfulfilled. 

No-one should be surprised at the reaction, especially after the abysmal way in which the process has been handled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I'm sorry Ryan, but this was not what I was told when I brought into the sonos concept. It was sold as a hifi streaming system which could be added to make a truly remarkable system. But now products have an EOL policy, let me put it this way if I were to see a cake that cost £50 and I know that cake has a sell by date of a week. And there was another cake that costs £20 but has no use by date which one would you buy?? But again you have the £50 cake and the £20 cake both have no use by date, you buy the £50 cake as it a better quality but find out later it does have a use by date how would you feel about that.you would think I might as well got the £20 cake, this is exactly what sonos has done and frankly has killed the brand. Sonos may come up with this solution or that explanation of what will happen but non of the statementments returns us to the status que we had when we brought our systems. The sonos board ignore this fact at the company's peril but it's not to late to turn this around but I fear you won't.

Ryan you seem to have ignored this or I hope just missed it. It would be god to get your thoughts on my example

I understand your feelings and what you’re trying to say. But there’s only so much that I can say, so I’m going to generally stick to things I can properly answer in a thread like this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have mostly Play:1s and Play: 3s in my system. I suspect they’ll be next to be bricked.

Userlevel 3

The genie is out of the bottle. It is going to be impossible to put it back in without applying a machete to the people who thought this was a good idea. Look to Hong Kong to see what an announcement of this nature will create in the market. And Hong Kong leaders have the might of China backing them. No one can reasonably help them. Sonos is all alone.

Sonos is a mouse in a field of elephants. Elephants like Apple, Google, Facebook and Microsoft. Despite not having a trunk or sufficient mass, Sonos thinks it is an elephant and can trample its customers. This view is grossly myopic and an inversion of the facts.

What Sonos does well (but not perfectly) is distribute sound amongst its speakers. No additional memory is required and all devices do that currently. Many users are not looking for more, but rather than trying to be all things to all technologies, Sonos would be best advised to create an environment where they can integrate new and developing standards. Sound is not going to change and has a low data requirement. It is accepted that new technologies may require additional resources.

If say DTS is a requirement, I’m sure anyone wanting this would be prepared to pay for an interface. Not all TVs support DTS, but many do and the experience is compromised by Sonos’s obstinance. The same is true of Dolby Atomos, but there are even fewer sets capable of transmitting this protocol. Oddly despite all the protestation and fight-back on Bluetooth, there is now a product. It can be done. Endless complaints about the complexity of the revised operator interface also fall on deaf ears. We are (were) here for you. Listening to your customers is in your interest. If your developers are incapable or unwilling to develop functional solutions, find new ones who will. This isn’t rocket science just coding.

Taking on the behemoths like Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Apple is folly. Don’t stop dreaming or developing, but you’ll never supplant them. Work with them and anyone else with newer ideas. You’ve already solved sound distribution. Become the bridge between other systems and the path is clear. The universal interface.

Listen to your supporters and customers.

Userlevel 2

I’ll just add my voice - that this behavior from a company is unacceptable. I’ve invested nearly $5k into Sonos products, have 3 Sonos Connect:Amp’s that power in-ceiling speakers that work EXACTLY as i need them too. Why would I spend ~$2k to upgrade them to get something I don’t need?

My expectation of sound hardware is that it will last nearly forever. I have speakers and amps that are 30+ years old and work amazing.

I’m a huge fan of Sonos and I’ve literally spent $1500 on Sonos gear in the last 90 days and I’m seriously regretting all of it.

What a horrible decision - even a split system is unacceptable - it all needs to work together.

This is just lazy engineering. :(

Userlevel 2

So after sending this, I shockingly received this reply from Patrick. I believe they have heard us. I will try to calm down and take a couple of weeks to see what happens.

To:xxxxxx

Jan 24 at 11:50 PM

Mr. Hedrick,

Thanks for being an early adopter. My apologies for the mistake here, and I am not proud. I'm sorry that didn't come across in my email.

I understand & respect your decision. Thank you for having been a customer & sorry for letting you down.

Sincerely,

Patrick

I’m not clear on what’s made you feel better about the situation in that message (though I agree it’s surprising that you got a personal reply at all)? All he’s said is sorry (again) and that he can see why you didn’t buy more units. Nothing that suggests a change of course, or even that they’re trying to find one.

It almost literally says ‘it sucks to be you’...

I don’t feel better and i’m pissed over it. I do however feel like we’ve been heard and they understand the scale of pissing off their entire customer base. All we can do now is wait and see what (if anything) happens as a result. Beyond that, continuing to stress over it will not yield me anything.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Perhaps when Sonos stop selling a product they need to pull all the supply out of their supply chain?

Nothing new I can add outside of thoroughly disgusted with how Sonos is treating its customers. Poor communication strategy - it’s clear none of us expected to be reinvesting only a few years after we bought this equipment. And to many of the other points, how do we know we won’t be in this position again soon?