End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Update 2/22: A message from our CEO

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I already ordered a completely new system from Teufel/Raumfeld.

Frank  

Didn’t know that brand but looks attractive - thanks for the hint!

I’m based in the UK, this company seems to have pre-empted Brexit - it seems just about every EU/EEA country is listed in their drop-down except the UK (tip: choose Ireland for English). That’s not to say I won’t be tempted anyway…

This for example, is what Sonos should be charging for the Port:

https://www.teufelaudio.com/multi-room/teufel-connector-p18477.html

I mean, how much electronics are needed to stream music and send the signal to my Pioneer SC-LX81 (which, incidentally, is a bit outdated but I’m able to upgrade at a time of my choosing)?

I’ll miss my ZP-80 when it eventually gets replaced. Why on Earth should I pay Sonos £279 (assuming 30% discount)? The usual answer is vendor lock-in, but if Sonos break compatibility, even that won’t matter anymore.

Userlevel 3

Hi Ryan,

Do you have anything to share with us to calm us down or are we all correct that Sonos is shafting us?

To be specific:

1. Will Sonos continue to allow multi room synchronised audio with all products people have in their homes regardless of age?

2.  If we choose to buy a new Sonos device, will this device function as part of our complete home system as described in point one without hobbling the new device by putting into a legacy mode?

1. Is it true that you will only guarantee support for 5 years in new devices?
  2. finally, why does the current marketing material for sonos on your website still claim that “everything works together”?

I am surprised as to why we haven’t been put at ease yet? Is this because we have been dumped as customers? I’m asking because it is only fair to let us know... as The Clash famously asked: “Should I stay or should I go now”?

Userlevel 3

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Update 2/22: A message from our CEO

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

Patrick

This is not a misstep, this is a horrendous business decision bordering on arrogance.  You've let customers purchase your products knowing they will be obsolete sooner than anyone would normally anticipate in the hope that they will part with their hard earned money to upgrade.  Do you realise how that actually looks to us the customer?

You've not addressed the issue of the measly 30% discount offered, which considering the cost of the equipment is nowhere near enough.

Nothing in this email has given me any incentive to change my views on Sonos so I will use the system until it no longer functions for how I use it then I'll dispose of it and find another non Sonos solution.

"Without us Sonos wont exist" - Having seen all the feedback to date i suggest you have another rethink on your strategy before your concern becomes a reality.

I am a long time Sonos user and have spent thousands of dollars on your products. I am no longer going to spend a single penny on your products any more. 

I don’t even own these ”obsolete” products. I’m just worried now you’re going to do the same thing to the speakers I bought only 4 years ago. I can’t trust any speaker you sell today will become obsolete in a couple of years. I want my system to continue to receive updates and work with older speakers.

What a shame. I felt so much loyalty to Sonos

Couldn’t agree more; this is utterly abhorrent and completely against everything Sonos have stood for in the past. 

Not to be able to add your new products to your existing set up just means people will switch to other set ups in protest at you forcing them to ugrade.

Running two separate systems separately is NOT a fix..the whole point is that people will want to continue to add to their existing system - not create two separate ones!

Ridiculous idea unless you want to provide closer to 100% discount on your new products?! 30% is not reasonable at all. 

There is clearly huge anger by many here at Sonos.

I am more hopeful.  They are not Apple or Google: they have heard from us and done their best to act to reassure.  If purchased by Apple or someone else, I would absolutely bet the obsolescence train would already be running. 

Time, of course, will tell how well they can deliver on their promise of “co-existence” of older kit with new.   Working in tech, I absolutely get the limits on the older units, and am glad they will try to address that.  Makes sense.

For us, their speakers have pretty well worked for many years.   I move downstairs for a break from my study and continue listening to the music or radio show I was on upstairs with minimal effort.   We have celebrated 18th, 21st and many parties with sound around our rooms: Happy days!
To those who stomp and promise to leave the Sonos family: I understand the anger….but I do wonder about cutting noses off to spite faces: I have not seen *any* solution that works so well (& that would never run into issues 5-10 years down the line!).

I get that we all think of ancient speakers that still work in our old hifi systems….but these are not IoT devices, offering many varied services to play through what I still feel are pretty decent pieces of kit.

In short: many people and companies make mistakes.   I like that they have tried to listen, and look forward to see how they navigate 2020.  Maybe I’ll put off any new purchase to 2021 though ;)

Userlevel 1

What a move Sonos. You're holding me to ransom. Spend more money or the whole network gets it. Why would I ever give you another penny when any new purchases will become hobbled the moment I connect them to my existing products, and when I now know that every purchase runs a high risk of being forced into obsoletion from afar. I loved my modern young speakers, but this hobbled network, with talk of dropping services rather than adding, is not what I was sold. You've lost me as a customer. And I can't help but feel that there's still one more announcement on the horizon ... this awkward change to your business model surely isn't the sound new foundation from which you plan to build a future on; this is surely a first step towards something more dramatic. I'm out. I want my money back. Such a shame.

This is utterly abhorrent! Me, like so many here have bought into the Sonos family to be able to continue to add to their system set ups.

We’ll just move onto other systems in protest at you making our products obsolete.

Permitting them to work on a separate system is NOT a fix..we want them to all work together on the same network!

A 30% upgrade discount is also not at all reasonable. Closer to 100% please or do a U-Turn on this ridiculous idea and protect your customer base.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Let's be under no illusion this 32mb limit is simply guff.

These "legacy" devices, when in a mixed environment with non legacy devices, need to be nothing more than thin TCP clients streaming an audio feed.

There is absolutely nothing preventing software being written that allows the newer clients to serve legacy devices in a mixed environment, software updates or otherwise.

The ONLY thing preventing this is the ability or desire for sonos to do this.

Effectively they would operate in a very similar way to thin client PCs.  Those haven't got the power to run desktop apps, so they just serve as a dumb terminal to a server elsewhere on the network.

This is absolutely NOT about the hardware limitations, and everything to do with sonos's ability and effort to serve the loyal customer base. Let's not forget the expensive connect:amps were being sold as little as few years ago.

Hello

If an end of life option for the amps would be that they could simply be grouped in and play from more capable units, that could be fine,  Remove all their music selection / queuing etc capabilities   Just volume.  Free up their compute resource, and make them dumber.

Perhaps even remove wireless capabilities , wired only - since one can get a wired connection from a wireless bridge these days easily and cheaply

One would need a more up to date unit to interface to services / airplay and so on, but that is how most of us with big systems work today anyhow,

A change like this would not harm my usage of my 26 unit sonos setup and render it pretty future proof.

michael

Let's be under no illusion this 32mb limit is simply guff.

These "legacy" devices, when in a mixed environment with non legacy devices, need to be nothing more than thin TCP clients streaming an audio feed.

There is absolutely nothing preventing software being written that allows the newer clients to serve legacy devices in a mixed environment, software updates or otherwise.

The ONLY thing preventing this is the ability or desire for sonos to do this.

Effectively they would operate in a very similar way to thin client PCs.  Those haven't got the power to run desktop apps, so they just serve as a dumb terminal to a server elsewhere on the network.

This is absolutely NOT about the hardware limitations, and everything to do with sonos's ability and effort to serve the loyal customer base. Let's not forget the expensive connect:amps were being sold as little as few years ago.

Entirely agree..I have one of the connect amps and love it! It means I can play my old analogue mission speaks through a mission amp and have fantastic sound! 

cant understand why they wouldn’t opt for the ‘thin client’ solution you’ve so eloquently put!!

Userlevel 1

This whole issue highlights the dependence of the IT industry on built-in obsolescence and the consequent constant replacement of hardware, in this case Sonos products. I no longer have any faith in any manufacturer. Luckily, I still have my vinyl collection, turntable and Rotel amplifier, all bought in the 1970s and working perfectly...

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This whole issue highlights the dependence of the IT industry on built-in obsolescence and the consequent constant replacement of hardware, in this case Sonos products. I no longer have any faith in any manufacturer. Luckily, I still have my vinyl collection, turntable and Rotel amplifier, all bought in the 1970s and working perfectly...

Ditto. Time to dig out the Leac deck.  The Rotel amp and Celestion Ditton floor speakers are still present, using the line out from the legacy Play 5...could never see the logic of the Connect when Play 5 offered same connectivity and player as well.

Userlevel 1

As has been said in previous posts the 32MB internal memory limit is “simply guff” and may be viewed as poor software coding.  How hard is it to download a track, queue the next one, play it and control the volume on a dedicated device?

While I remain happy with the Sonos products I have today (4) any changes that separate or limit the functionality/features that I have today will mean than I cannot trust Sonos not to cut me adrift in the pursuit of sales of newer devices.

I have accepted the high price tag associated with Sonos as I beleived that this meant the product will work for many years to come.

Time will tell how many customers Sonos looses - at the moment I will not be investing in any more Sonos kit as I cannot be sure they will last.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

What a shockingly poor decision.  I've already invested thousands in my Sonos system, and have always explained to others how brilliant in is that Sonos are always innovating and improving even existing systems by releasing regular updates.  I had always assumed that the company ethos was to build up a strong and loyal band of supporters and admirers, buying into this Sonos ecosystem.

That respect has vanished overnight.

Because my system has one legacy device, the whole system will be cease to receive updates?  Wow!

And this "clarification" that you will seek to separate legacy from new, so that they operate independently?  Not good enough.  The beauty of the Sonos system is that they form a network between themselves, and if you lose one link in a crucial part of the network, the whole network suffers.

This is just so disappointing.  I would possibly consider upgrading that device, but my sense of loyalty has gone.  Next year, will it be other devices that are deemed to be "legacy"?

It seems that this is the thin end of the wedge.

And this loss of trust will affect not only existing customers, but will make potential new customers think twice about paying a premium for a disposable device.

What a shame.

Userlevel 1

Lost my trust from Sonos today. Will switch to B&O or some other brand for my next sound system. Never heard om anything like this threatening customers to buy the latest hardware. Catastrophic. 

Userlevel 2

@Patrick Spence

Thanks for the update email, which fails to address the fundamental issue.

Try listening again.

THE LEGACY AND MODERN UNITS MUST CONTINUE TO WORK TOGETHER - NOT SPLIT SO THAT I CANNOT PLAY SYNCHRONISED MUSIC ACROSS MY HOME.

Please go away and speak to your developers who will tell you how much effort this is, then come back once more to tell us it’s sorted.

Userlevel 3

I came back after a hectic week of traveling. Went through my private e-mails. And found a casual notice from Sonos my products basically will be obsolete going forward?

I find that scary and shocking and frankly also totally out of sync with sustainability.

It is a shame as I have made, for me, a big investment in Sonos and have been happy.

I will NOT replace my products at 30% discount or honestly at any discount. Those products will likely become obsolete too in some years?

Vow!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As has been said in previous posts the 32MB internal memory limit is “simply guff” and may be viewed as poor software coding.  How hard is it to download a track, queue the next one, play it and control the volume on a dedicated device?

While I remain happy with the Sonos products I have today (4) any changes that separate or limit the functionality/features that I have today will mean than I cannot trust Sonos not to cut me adrift in the pursuit of sales of newer devices.

I have accepted the high price tag associated with Sonos as I beleived that this meant the product will work for many years to come.

Time will tell how many customers Sonos looses - at the moment I will not be investing in any more Sonos kit as I cannot be sure they will last.

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t need “new” features like not being able to use my iPhone and not having lock screen controls. The system was at its peak two years ago and really doesn’t need to do anymore than that. 

I totally understand Sonos need to make money but with the price of their products compared to the market they have achieved this aim already. The more I’ve thought about this situation over the last few days the more furious I’ve become. 

Sonos if they don’t adjust this will lose me as a customer.  And I also spent thousands on Sonos

I bought into the whole SONOS quality and good vibe characterisation and was dismayed when evil crept-in.  ‘Is fabulous price and constant nagging to buy more insufficient?’ I thought, ‘trashing older products is environmentally and socially unhelpful.’

OK I am glad to see that open revolt has had an effect but whomever thought it a good idea to take the path of badness is still there!  I do not mean to be rude but if your interest is only in money, then work in banking. 

Other things; reduce the frequency of updates if you can.

All the best!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

4. There is quite an amount of anger on here.  It's very understandable, given people have made big investments.  A number of users seem to be making a big effort to hurt the company with bad ratings on Amazon and elsewhere.  But from the many reviews I've read over the last few years of Sonos and the alternatives, it does seem to be that in terms of audio quality and reliability, Sonos is still one of the very best products in the wireless speaker market.  And it looks like most or all of the competitors' control apps are poor.  If Sonos were to be bought by Apple or Google, or to go out of business, the end of life date for all Sonos products would be much earlier than if Sonos continues to grow.  And then we'd be forced to switch to a poorer setup.  

Great post, and I can agree with you that Sonos is a good product.

However, back at the start of 2018 my whole five-zone Sonos system was acting up. I lost countless hours and days trying to diagnose it, support brushed it off as being a problem with my network but I replaced the switch with a managed one just so I could Wireshark the Sonos traffic.

In despair I bought a Bluesound Node 2 to start replacing the Sonos... and it was great!

The controller wasn’t as good as Sonos, but it was steadily improving while Sonos’ offering was getting less polished and usable with each update. The hardware was beautiful - and far better specs than even the latest Sonos models released since. Anyone familiar with the Sonos products would be at home with Bluesound - they have the equivalent of ZP80/90/Connect, ZP100/120/Connect:Amp, phone apps and even a desktop controller (PC/Mac). It plays music from your NAS (I still use Samba shares). The even have their own NAS but it’s not necessary. The only bummer is that, being quite similar to Sonos, they chose to differentiate themselves by being even more expensive.

But then I had two incompatible systems, Bluesound and Sonos. The only link between the two was through Line In, which caused delays and meant I needed to use two apps - one to select the music (Bluesound), one to control the volume (of the Sonos players feeding off Bluesound). Needless to say, this is not going to give the best sound quality and could only work as a temporary solution while upgrading Sonos for Bluesound one by one. An expensive proposition.

After a while and another round of factory resets, the Sonos system eventually started working again. I cancelled plans to switch over, because it was an unnecessary cost. I stayed with Sonos because of compatibility and put the Bluesound Node 2 on eBay.

If I had known that Sonos was going to impose the same situation on all its early customers as the one I faced above, I would have put the Sonos gear on eBay and proceeded with the switch to Bluesound and to hell with the cost.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

This whole mess has killed the concept of whole home audio solotions like sonos, all the other types of home system is going to be prone to this, other manufacturers must be equally hating sonos at this point for showing the weakness in these type of meshed network systems. Hence if I do invest in another system I will get one or maybe two devices and scrap the whole home audio thing. Or possibly convert my old sonos to dumb speakers and get a central device to stream from. This is my favoured route A. My exposure to this type of event will be minimal and B. the cost will be minimal. I now have got the email from our mate Patrick and I'm not even going to waste my time in a response. I think the routes sonos can really now take and that is exchange like for like our systems for these new units, find a way to upgrade our units at there cost via your local vender. But upgrades with any % reduction will just not cut it, split systems will not cut it, the envoiromentl cost won't cut it. I think sonos won't change there mind on this which is a shame as my system works as expected at this time but maybe the shareholders meeting might be a glimmer of hope as they can force sonos to change there view so I urge our US users to get just one share and attend that meeting and force the minds of the ostriches at sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

4. There is quite an amount of anger on here.  It's very understandable, given people have made big investments.  A number of users seem to be making a big effort to hurt the company with bad ratings on Amazon and elsewhere.  But from the many reviews I've read over the last few years of Sonos and the alternatives, it does seem to be that in terms of audio quality and reliability, Sonos is still one of the very best products in the wireless speaker market.  And it looks like most or all of the competitors' control apps are poor.  If Sonos were to be bought by Apple or Google, or to go out of business, the end of life date for all Sonos products would be much earlier than if Sonos continues to grow.  And then we'd be forced to switch to a poorer setup.  

Great post, and I can agree with you that Sonos is a good product.

However, back at the start of 2018 my whole five-zone Sonos system was acting up. I lost countless hours and days trying to diagnose it, support brushed it off as being a problem with my network but I replaced the switch with a managed one just so I could Wireshark the Sonos traffic.

In despair I bought a Bluesound Node 2 to start replacing the Sonos... and it was great!

The controller wasn’t as good as Sonos, but it was steadily improving while Sonos’ offering was getting less polished and usable with each update. The hardware was beautiful - and far better specs than even the latest Sonos models released since. Anyone familiar with the Sonos products would be at home with Bluesound - they have the equivalent of ZP80/90/Connect, ZP100/120/Connect:Amp, phone apps and even a desktop controller (PC/Mac). It plays music from your NAS (I still use Samba shares). The even have their own NAS but it’s not necessary. The only bummer is that, being quite similar to Sonos, they chose to differentiate themselves by being even more expensive.

But then I had two incompatible systems, Bluesound and Sonos. The only link between the two was through Line In, which caused delays and meant I needed to use two apps - one to select the music (Bluesound), one to control the volume (of the Sonos players feeding off Bluesound). Needless to say, this is not going to give the best sound quality and could only work as a temporary solution while upgrading Sonos for Bluesound one by one. An expensive proposition.

After a while and another round of factory resets, the Sonos system eventually started working again. I cancelled plans to switch over, because it was an unnecessary cost. I stayed with Sonos because of compatibility and put the Bluesound Node 2 on eBay.

If I had known that Sonos was going to impose the same situation on all its early customers as the one I faced above, I would have put the Sonos gear on eBay and proceeded with the switch to Bluesound and to hell with the cost.

How did the Bluesound app compare to Sonos in your experience?

Userlevel 1

This whole mess has killed the concept of whole home audio solotions like sonos, all the other types of home system is going to be prone to this, other manufacturers must be equally hating sonos at this point for showing the weakness in these type of meshed network systems. Hence if I do invest in another system I will get one or maybe two devices and scrap the whole home audio thing. Or possibly convert my old sonos to dumb speakers and get a central device to stream from. This is my favoured route A. My exposure to this type of event will be minimal and B. the cost will be minimal. I now have got the email from our mate Patrick and I'm not even going to waste my time in a response. I think the routes sonos can really now take and that is exchange like for like our systems for these new units, find a way to upgrade our units at there cost via your local vender. But upgrades with any % reduction will just not cut it, split systems will not cut it, the envoiromentl cost won't cut it. I think sonos won't change there mind on this which is a shame as my system works as expected at this time but maybe the shareholders meeting might be a glimmer of hope as they can force sonos to change there view so I urge our US users to get just one share and attend that meeting and force the minds of the ostriches at sonos.

Couldn’t agree more. As mentioned in my previous post, I still have my Rotel amp and Pioneer turntable bought in 1976, and also my Technics CD player from the 90s. Now I just need to retrieve my vinyl and CD collections from the attic, connect it all up to my Tannoy speakers and I’m all set! And it’s all 100% future proofed, no pesky software updates necessary 😀

Userlevel 2

From the Roon support site. Someone asked the question and got the following answer from a Roon developer.

benRoon Labs: Developer

17h

My question is if Roon will continue to support the Sonos Connect after May. Since it appears that Roon’s software is controlling the Connect unit, can I make the assumption that we should be able to use our Sonos Connect units with the Roon software if the upcoming Roon updates supports the Connect Unit?

Yes, you can assume that. Making things like this keep working is what we do, and I’d like to think we’re good at it.

If that is the case then there may be an easy solution