End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Update 2/22: A message from our CEO

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 3

Whilst i understand the need for software updates, this smells like a really stinking marketing strategy to me. Customers buy the products and because they are expensive (lets not kid ourselves here as they really are compared to other brands available) they buy them once, perhaps add one or two more and then do not purchase any further Sonos products over a length if over ten years. Then Sonos realise they are not making enough revenue so they decide to make existing customers products obsolete so they have to spend money again with Sonos to trade up to the latest technology.

30% off to trade up! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA……Surely you can do better than that if you want to keep these effected customers?

To be honest, we should all have seen this coming. Look at mobile phone manufacturers. It has been proven that they incorporate planned obsolescence in their products. That’s why your phone starts getting glitchy when your contract is up for renewal. Encourages us to buy the latest products again.

I also love how Sonos will recycle the old products for us. So we send them the products and then they can strip them and use the parts again in their manufacturing saving themselves money in the long run. You couldn’t make this up!!! Ha ha ha ha

Once my Sonos system is bricked i will move my business elsewhere. But saying that, this will happen with other speaker brands so is there any point purchasing wi-fi speakers at all when they will become obsolete so quickly. They are obviously not good value for money

Maybe it’s time we all stuck two fingers up to streaming products and go back to playing music on traditional speakers like our grandads old hi-fi!

Great customer service Sonos!

Userlevel 4
Badge

As a Sonos customer, add me to this feedback. I find the way you word your communication is misleading saying that you are stretched in cpu and memory. I get it the same analogy that if a company releases a game that is multiplayer online only for $60. They can’t continue to provide updates for that game for the next 10 years without a revenue stream. 

However, your whole brand is based upon the modular approach that people can keep on adding to their system and it will be supported. You certainly did that when Air Play 2 came out. You were able to keep non-Air Play 2 compatible products on the same version / network. Coming from a technical background, I don’t buy the fact that if a streaming service changes it’s API, the reason you can’t do it is because of CPU/RAM. It’s a API call changes, it’s a code change. Just say the truth and tell us that you need to increase the customer lifetime value of existing customers by forcing us to spend money. 

I am even fine with a subscription service fee to get the coders to update their API calls but to cripple my entire system with NO updates, that’s completely BS.

Also, probably the more important part is your brand. One of the pillars was that we can continue to add products to our existing ecosystem. As you said, over 90% of speakers are still supported...and then within one news release from yesterday,  you’ve killed one of the core values of the brand. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You seriously locked the feedback thread on the disgraceful announcement after 56 pages?

what complete nonsense!

i sent an email letter to your CEO yesterday.  Any idea when I will get a response?

Reminder, I have 26 SONOS devices and feel betrayed.

richard 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features.

So sounds like you’re saying that if a third party - Apple, Amazon or whoever - changes their software you won’t update legacy products to cope? I find it very hard to believe that the “lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products” would stop you.

Perhaps you need a new way to deal with the community response, which isn’t to close the thread?

Lol. Made my evening, that bit!

Userlevel 3

Have Sonos closed the other thread to stop the negative feedback? They clearly do not know who to deal with customers. I am yet to come across a customer who thinks this is a good idea.

Sonos has some of the loyalist consumers you will find I imagine as we buy products to extend our current system without giving much of a thought to other manufacturers. For me that will change and almost ten years of loyalty to Sonos has ended and I will look to replace my “legacy” Play:5 device with something non sonos and leave the rest of my “Modern” Sonos system intact.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Any reason you need until May to tell us the finer details of Legacy product operation due to your decision? 

I suspect this thread will continue to grow with complaints and more questions.

Why not tell us now? Hopefully you have figured out the details and aren’t making things up as you go.

Userlevel 2

Sonos looks like it underestimated the furor the announcement would cause.  I think the legacy products will remain functional longer now based on the feedback. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

None.

Dont buy sonos.

Your overpriced equipment will be 'bricked' by the company on a whim.

Check out Bluesound…

A disgruntled ex-sonos fan now stuck with year-old play5s ehich woll be landfill in June. 

Shame on sonos.

Userlevel 3

As long time loyal customer and shareholder with now 5/13 devices being threatened to be disconnected from the network I’m very upset. 

sonos was a brand which grew off of a loyal following of customers / advocates who touted Sonia’s merits to friends and family. Who bought Sonos as gifts for friends and family. 37% of your sales are to existing customers. 

This is one of the key points that supported you valuation and IPO. In one action you’ve destroyed so much good will. Your recycling scheme was an own goal promoting customers to destroy good hardware and this step goes further and promotes it. 

Please listen to your customers!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

You seriously locked the feedback thread on the disgraceful announcement after 56 pages?

what complete nonsense!

i sent an email letter to your CEO yesterday.  Any idea when I will get a response?

Reminder, I have 26 SONOS devices and feel betrayed.

richard 

It wouldn’t surprise me if the 56 page thread disappeared altogether.

That’s how I now feel about Sonos, all trust has gone.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’m not going to repost all my annoyances from the other thread but I would like to state again on here that Sonos has now become a company that I have very little trust and confidence in.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

After 24 hours and 55 pages of comments (before it was closed) none of which are complimentary, here is my 2p worth.

As a past product marketing manager, here are a few key points to take into consideration when announcing a products end of support.

1. Give lots of notice and take into account how recently customers have purchased the product.

> 4 months is no notice at all really, I would expect 12 months to be reasonable, or 6 as an absolute minimum. I bought my first components in Jan 2015 and now my Connect Amp and Play 5 are declared end of support after this relatively short time.

2. Offer a painless route to upgrade the system.

> Offering 30% discount is far from painless, it is a significant additional investment just to retain current functionality. The idea also of scrapping the old hardware to recycling or worse landfill is outrageous. At least leave the units to be used for as long as they can, as by your own admission, that may not be long.

Consider a swap out at cost plus support expenses to make the exchange palatable. The current discount must still bring a good profit unless your margins are poor.

3. Be VERY clear about why you are doing this, the future benefits and the implications of retaining the current hardware.

I expect cost is the real driver here, memory and processing power is just a limitation as branching code and distributing two versions is  not rocket science, but at least he honest. I understand that sonos cannot predict what may happen with future changes to streaming services, but the total lack of clarity and certainty beggars belief. How long till the rest of my system is obsoleted as I now know I will be lucky to get 4 months notice. What great new ground breaking features are coming in May that is forcing this end of support for older speakers? The dual system possibly seems to something that may or may not work, but little information is being offered about it, we are promised more info in May. Will there still be an upgrade offer when the system breaks eventually, or is this just a short term offer? 

So in all you have made a real error of judgement here and have an uphill climb to resolve it, if that is even possible now. The sonos name is now badly tarnished and only a retraction and complete rethink of this proposal has any chance to recover the mess created. I really do hope some people from sonos are taking action based on this thread. Having closed the old tgread, posted a few minor clarifications and started a new one, I fear sonos simply aren't listening and underestimate the impact this will ultimately have on the company. 

Userlevel 2

Agree with others was really bad to close that thread!!  Will this one be closed too when it hits 50+ pages?

I will reiterate:

Long time Sonos user, eight zones, many legacy.

Very disappointed.

Sonos needs to revisit this decision and find a way to enable older devices to keep working in the network with updated newer devices.  Clearly the older devices won’t have the latest features, but they should be able to interoperate with similar functionality to today.

Sonos is an expensive product.  As an example, we just bought two Sonos Ones for children’s bedrooms.  The alternative was two echo dots.  Clearly inferior product, but would have been ¼ of the price and would have kept the kids just as happy.  The draw of staying with the Sonos ecosystem was the interoperability with all the existing zones, including the now legacy products.

Was planning to scale up number of zones.  Seriously reconsidering now.

Sonos - please try to come up with another solution here.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

“We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, ...”

Sonos, please commit to maintaining integration of legacy equipment to platforms like Spotify.

If Sonos is unwilling to take that little step, can Sonos at least commit to open-sourcing the software that supports the legacy system so that the community can provide legacy support?

How can a company decide to treat its early adopters and greatest advocates so poorly? Sonos is turning its greatest advocates into its harshest critics.

Methinks this may be the end of Sonos as a viable company.

What well-informed person would buy Sonos equipment now?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

For Sale: Complete Sonos Syestem, Works great! ….. for now.

Userlevel 3

To the FOOLS @Sonos who thought that abandoning a dedicated existing customer base w/forced obsolescence was a good business decision, #FAIL Like others, I have $1000’s of dollars invested in a system that you now tell me is obsolete & might as well be bricked. I have “evangelized” Sonos for MANY years, have systems all over my house, & its likely the most used of any technology, except our phones, in our house.

I will NOT “trade-up” NOR purchase another Sonos product & will now proceed to ditch every last one of these bricks while I can get some $$ on eBay or other site. Perhaps some other SPEAKER company will take my $$$ w/o killing the hardware I already own.

Goodbye, Sonos.

Userlevel 2

Sonos customer for seven years.  I have spent a lot on a Gen1 Play 5, a Connect, a Connect Amp - all of which are being abandoned by Sonos - but only one of which I can trade up.  I also recently bought a Beam and a couple of surround speakers.  They are going to be dropped too if I don’t spend hundreds more updating the Play 5 and unplugging the Connects.  This is a very shoddy way to treat your customers, and you should be ashamed of yourselves Sonos.  I am not stupid though.  This is going to keep happening isn’t it?  Just ordered a Naim Muso qb Gen2 (thought I would stretch to the Gen 2, but I could have ordered the Gen1 as Naim … get this… still support their legacy products).  Will keep the Beam, because it’s providing the sound for my tv.  It will be the last Sonos product I ever own though.  It’s goodbye from me.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Answers to these questions would be appreciated:

I understand if I have a mixed system of legacy and modern, after the May update it will no longer receive updates and future features will not be supported. After the May update can I still add new products to my legacy/mixed system, like a Move? Would the Move software roll back to my May software?

If I have a legacy system after the May update can I add more legacy devices without issue?

If I have a mixed system after the May update can I split it into two separate systems, legacy and modern, or do I need to do that before the May update?

If I have a mixed system after the May update, can I remove a modern device and add it to a modern system without issue.

If I have separate modern and legacy systems in my home I assume they will use separate versions of the app. Will there be any conflict running two different app versions on the same mobile device?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Have Sonos closed the other thread to stop the negative feedback? They clearly do not know who to deal with customers. I am yet to come across a customer who thinks this is a good idea.

Sonos has some of the loyalist consumers you will find I imagine as we buy products to extend our current system without giving much of a thought to other manufacturers. For me that will change and almost ten years of loyalty to Sonos has ended and I will look to replace my “legacy” Play:5 device with something non sonos and leave the rest of my “Modern” Sonos system intact.

Hey, Johnny, 

Who's gonna buy your play5 for 100quid when you can get a brick to do the same job for less than one pound? 

I've got two of the effin paperweights. 

Shame on sonos. Shame on Patrick Spence, CEO of sonos. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

You missed out a vital point, does this mean the legacy and modern will be interoperable? Or completely seperate? I am fine with my legacy speakers not getting updates, but I want my modern speakers to get updates and new features. I then EXEPCT to be still able to group music between legacy and modern.

LOL no, that would have in big bold capital letters if they were gonna let you do that. You will be able to have 2 separate Sonos setups that won’t group together

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Have to say a new thread with direction and answers is appreciated and what was requested.

Shutting off a strong message  by simply closing a thread is pouring petrol over a firework box! Why on earth would you?

My input to date has been measured. At this point I’m about to join the **** You tribe.

Really? Is this the way to do business? This is mutually assured destruction on a commercial scale I’ve never seen.

On every level possible totally mis-managed. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

My product has not reached the end of it’s useful life.
Do you even care about the environment? This stinks...

Userlevel 3

Given I have QUAD equipment from the 1950’s (22 and IIs) and that they still support it by way of repair at a reasonable cost, I don’t expect all my SONOS kit to become redundant after 10 years or less. In addition QUAD has been owned by a Chinese company for a number of years but still support legacy kit.

Quick question: even with a 30% discount, who in their right mind would replace redundant SONOS kit with new SONOS kit????

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Remember, SONOS is now a public company (SONO).  It’s got shareholders to answer to which makes it a very different company than the one I bought my legacy products from.