Compatibility with Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Staff
  • 8453 replies
The new release for Mac OS X 10.11 named El Capitan is released and after thorough testing we've found no issues with the Sonos system or controllers. Feel free to upgrade with confidence and enjoy.

If you do see anything please let us know, we're happy to help.

26 replies

Badge +4
Great news.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi

just updated my controller on my mac book pro running El Capitan and the dock icon has beta in red across it? i don't think i asked to subscribe to the beta programme - any ideas how i got it?

Regards
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
ic2 wrote:

Hi

just updated my controller on my mac book pro running El Capitan and the dock icon has beta in red across it? i don't think i asked to subscribe to the beta programme - any ideas how i got it?

Regards

It really should only happen if you are on beta. Open your software and check under Sonos > About my Sonos system. What's the build number that shows up? The version number will show it too, 5.4 is the non-beta software. 6.0 is beta.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks. Apparently i am running version 6. I installed it previously but it then updated itself to this beta version?

regards
Userlevel 1
Badge
sorry...build number is 31321290

regards
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
That is indeed beta. You can follow the directions here to remove yourself from beta if you'd like: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1707/ Make sure you're logging in with the proper account, the one your system is registered to.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, i will do that but don't understand why i have it when i never enrolled?

regards
Userlevel 1
Badge
done that, now running 5.4 - still not sure why i was invited to go to 6.0?

regards
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hard to say, but it's most likely to have been someone with your credentials. Perhaps if you were part of an open beta previously it rolled over.
Just installed El Capitan on my iMac and the Sonos controller (v 5.4) no longer works. I double click and I get the spinning beachball and then it just hangs. Doesn't crash, but doesn't work at all. Anyone else see this behavior?
Took it a long time to see my Sonos system initially. After that it was fine. El Capitan killed my Office 2011, so beware of that if upgrading to EC. 2011 isn't compatible with it, and outlook 2016 isn't compatible with Exchange 2007. But who needs email when my Sonos works? :D
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sonos controller working fine with EC on my MacBook Air. As an aside, Microsoft are working with Apple on a fix for the Office issues.
testcard wrote:

Sonos controller working fine with EC on my MacBook Air. As an aside, Microsoft are working with Apple on a fix for the Office issues.

Thanks. Interesting because they didn't have that information last week. I got the new Outlook working with Exchange 2007 by using IMAP instead of a direct Exchange connection so it isn't urgent anymore. One annoying thing with it though is it still doesn't move to the next email when deleting. MS told me that Apple prevents them from doing that.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Way, way off topic, but...
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/05/microsoft-office-2016-el-capitan-bugs/
I've noticed that the play/pause button is taking a few seconds to work sometimes.
Hi, After upgrading to EL Capitan the Sonos Controller can't find my Sonos system. It still works fine from my phone so the system is obviously working. Any other experiencing this problem?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
User898896 wrote:

Hi, After upgrading to EL Capitan the Sonos Controller can't find my Sonos system. It still works fine from my phone so the system is obviously working. Any other experiencing this problem?

Generally speaking, that sounds like the firewalls or security settings on the computer are now changed. It could also be an issue on the network. If you're still having trouble getting the Mac to connect to Sonos I'd recommend starting with the guided assistance here. Let us know how it goes.
The Sonos controller on my Mac OS 10.11.2 cannot find the Sonos system. I have reinstalled the controller three times. It says it finds it after walking through the check list of steps and then once I click done, it says it cannot be found again. Ideas? Works fine from iPhone and iPad.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
CharlieVancouver wrote:

The Sonos controller on my Mac OS 10.11.2 cannot find the Sonos system. I have reinstalled the controller three times. It says it finds it after walking through the check list of steps and then once I click done, it says it cannot be found again. Ideas? Works fine from iPhone and iPad.

It's unlikely related to the operating system specifically. From the symptoms, it sounds like an issue with firewall or security software. Do you have anything of the sort installed? Net Nanny, Mcafee, Norton, are all examples of things we've seen cause this sort of issue.
Yes, I running Norton on this Mac though earlier versions of the controller worked fine. I can pause Norton for a bit and see how that goes? Thanks for the feedback.
The Sonos controller on my Mac Problem now seems solved. If you suspend firewall protection for a while, in my case Norton and then relaunch the Sonos controller it comes up with all services in tact. The controller then asks that you update to the latest version (even though I supposedly downloaded and installed the latest version from Sonos - three times). Once the updates are installed, close the controller and restart the firewall and Norton suite. Then restart the controller and it all works. So the message here is that the Sonos controller and firewall tools are battling each other, with the firewall apparently winning!

Thanks for the help ideas :)
You resolve my problem,
Had to upgrade to El Capitan because Sonos got into a loop with "Would you like to upgrade Sonos now, yes/no?". If no then Sonos quit and if yes then "There is no upgrade available". After installing El Capitan I had to:

1) Ensure iTunes Music Library loads in iTunes
2) Reinstall Sonos with the current version
3) Remove iTunes Music Library from Sonos
4) Add iTunes Music Library to Sonos again
5) Use Terminal to see if anything is happening during step 4, as described in my previous post
6) Wait about 10 minutes for step 4 to complete
7) Start Apple Maps, allow access to Location Services
8) Download and run iPhoto Library Upgrader
9) Start iPhoto, wait 10 minutes while it rebuilds the photo library
10) Start Skype, re-enter Microsoft Account username and password (not Skype Name username and password)
11) Upgrade Skype to the current version, make sure it still works
12) Upgrade Video LAN Client (VLC) to the current version, see that it still works
13) Upgrade NeoOffice to the current version because 3.1.2 does not work at all on El Capitan due to Java error.
14) Ensure Samsung XPress M2070W laser printer/scanner still works.
15) Ensure Google Earth still works.

So there you have it, 15 consequential jobs I have had to do for my customer, when it was all working fine before and the customer never wanted any upgrades of anything in the first place.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hey Phil Jones Computers,

Was your clients computer on OS X 10.6 or earlier before that update? If so, they probably updated their Sonos players from another controller before you got there. At that point, if you're on a non-supported operating system then you need to update to one that will work.

It sounds like everything worked great after the OS update. Sonos remove and re-add on the music library is usually very simple and in the case of a OS update, it usually just takes a re-index. If you have any trouble we're happy to help too.
The customer's desktop Mac had OS X 10.10 Yosemite before. The customer also has an iPhone with Sonos Controller on it. You think it could have been an update of Sonos Controller on iPhone that caused it?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)