News

Community Platform Updates are here

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
  • Community Manager
  • 11005 replies
Exciting news everyone! You’ve probably already noticed that we’re now live with the changes to the community pages and platform as announced here. Along with the visual changes, we’re now highlighting additional useful pages on the home page, and will be adding refreshing content more often in the future.

Check out some of the new features:

First off, you can now have User Mentions that let you to bring someone’s attention to the thread. Throw an @ before their username and they’ll get a notification.

You can also now hover over the number of likes on a thread to display usernames of who gave the likes. So make sure you’re liking things you’re proud of, and give likes for posts that you think are helpful or good.

There’s a brand new set of Emojis to enjoy. A full range of emoticons to add fun emphasis to posts.

Finally, there are now profile cards for users. Hover over the avatar of a user and you’ll see a popup with some user details, showing the basics of their activity as a preview to loading their full profile.

Let us know what you think in the community board or by replying to this thread.

13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Beautiful! Now, what about the other announcement coming this week?...
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I hate to be the guy saying "it used to be better", but, at least on a desktop, it used to be better. At first glance, this layout looks like the responsive design was not so well executed, at least when scaling to a desktop.

On my screen (24", 1080p, nothing special), there's way to much gray, the panel with messages uses only 1/4 of the screen width. The links to "Our Company", "News" etc. are huge compared to the body text, as are the items in the hamburger menu on the left. The Sonos logo at the top is tiny. It all looks out of proportion.
If I resize my window to make it smaller, then the responsiveness does kick in and it's more bearable, but after all, I'm looking at the site on my desktop because of the screen real estate. I can't imagine how this must look on a 4k monitor.

Also, not a fan of the grey itself and the brownish color, the black and white looked much cleaner to me, but that's a matter of taste.

Because I'm not sure if it will look the same for everyone, I took to MS Paint to illustrate my points...

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
You think that text size is mismatched, try going to the new Sonos home page :o

I'm guessing the understated logo is intentional. But some of the oversized text is silly. Nevertheless, I don't mind it. I imagine the intention is that the page keeps the same layout on any screen.
The look and feel of this "improved design" is clearly optimized for mobile screens. Copy & Paste (e.g. from the support pages) is a pain because the copied text/url is retaining its raw font and size with no facility to edit it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I just noticed that on the old layout (the Dutch community is still on that), the message panel is just as wide as it is currently, so that's my mistake. However, because the original background color was white, the same color as the messages, it drew less attention to the blank space on either side.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Beautiful! Now, what about the other announcement coming this week?...
What announcement? 😀

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We'll be working on a few things as we go, so let us know if you see anything else.
@Ryan S , Please bring back a shortcut to the "Recently Active Topics" (replacing "Related Topics") without the need for digging into the 'Menu' to get to the latest questions, comments and statements.

Edit: I think I've found a shortcut. 😌
Yes, it looks fine on the phone, but on my 27" monitor via the Chrome browser, WAY too much gray.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Finally, there are now profile cards for users. Hover over the avatar of a user and you’ll see a popup with some user details, showing the basics of their activity as a preview to loading their full profile.

All I see is an "avatar" tool tip.

You're using the wrong view 🙂 Go to the en.community.sonos.com view, not the admin console.
The spamfilter is also in desperate need of "improvement", it is dumber than dirt...
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I can't imagine how this must look on a 4k monitor.

On my 32" 4K monitor it looks very bad.
Badge +5
Definitely looks great from a phone/tablet, which I'm sure was the primary target.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Zoomed out to 125% it is usable on my screen and the vast wasteland of gray does cut down on the glare you'd get from white.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings