Beats Music Shutting Down November 30th

• 12 November 2015
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11532 replies
Beats Music is ending all service on November 30, but don’t worry — Apple Music is coming to Sonos soon. By moving your Beats Music account to Apple Music, you’ll be able to keep your playlists and preferences and listen on Sonos as soon as it is available. Keep an eye out for your invitation with all of the details.

To get ready, be sure to sign up for Apple Music now—free for the first three months—on your iOS device, Android, Mac, or PC. All of your music picks and playlists will be moved from Beats Music to Apple Music, and you’ll be able to browse more than 30 million songs, listen to worldwide radio with Beats 1, and more.

For more information about Apple Music, visit apple.com/music.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

The question is, "when" is Apple Music coming to Sonos? Will it be before November 30th? Because if not, what sense does it make for me to change now? If I do, I won't be able to listen to Beats/Apple Music until you provide support for that service, whenever that may be. I might as well use it for as long as I can until that point.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I echo Ferraro41's query. Also, I'm not on the Cloud. Do I have to sign up for it in order to transfer playlists and preferences from Beats to Apple when the time comes?

Also, does Apple stream over Wi-Fi at the same bitrate as Beats? Because that's the only reason I'm on Beats, the fidelity over Wi-Fi. Whichever streaming service has the highest Wi-Fi bitrate is the one I want.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We don't have an announced timeline right now for Apple Music support on Sonos, but if you're following this thread we'll be updating everyone as soon as that information is available.

I echo Ferraro41's query. Also, I'm not on the Cloud. Do I have to sign up for it in order to transfer playlists and preferences from Beats to Apple when the time comes?

Also, does Apple stream over Wi-Fi at the same bitrate as Beats? Because that's the only reason I'm on Beats, the fidelity over Wi-Fi. Whichever streaming service has the highest Wi-Fi bitrate is the one I want.

You can find answers to all of your migration from Beats to Apple Music questions here: https://support.beatsmusic.com/hc/en-us

As to the bitrate, Apple Music is streaming 256kbps tracks encoded in the AAC format while Spotify uses Ogg Vorbis and Beats Music runs 320kbps MP3s. That doesn't tell the full picture though. The format is just as important as the bitrate it's streaming at as some can do a lot more with less.

If you're wondering who streams at the highest bitrate, Deezer Elite streams 1,411 kbps FLAC in the US for Sonos, as does TIDAL HiFi.

In general, we recommend testing out a couple services and seeing which one fits your personal service requirements the best.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Other than people wanting their free 3 months - I have yet to figure out the big draw when it comes to Apple Music.
Having used Rdio and Apple, I'd say it is much the same cake. The only difference is in the icing - the interface. Which will be nullified using the Sonos controller hosted app, if the way Rdio through Sonos looks like is any indication. I don't see that this matters a great deal, but people that want Apple Music for the native interface and features may end up disappointed. Waiting to see how the integration icing looks like is probably a good idea.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ryan S, thank you for your candid reply. I get it, it's not apples to Apple, so to speak.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Beats Music is ending all service on November 30, but don’t worry — Apple Music is coming to Sonos soon. By moving your Beats Music account to Apple Music, you’ll be able to keep your playlists and preferences and listen on Sonos as soon as it is available. Keep an eye out for your invitation with all of the details..

Many thanks for that tantalising update. I currently listen to Apple Music on my Sonos set up via one of the old Sonos docks (remarkably easy). What is this invitation you speak of and how would I make sure I get one.

Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes,

Graeme.
Looking forward to Apple music on Sonos. Please keep me updated
Userlevel 2
The question is, "when" is Apple Music coming to Sonos? Will it be before November 30th? Because if not, what sense does it make for me to change now? If I do, I won't be able to listen to Beats/Apple Music until you provide support for that service, whenever that may be. I might as well use it for as long as I can until that point.

Completely agree. Beats is my primary listening source, I'm in no hurry to move to Apple Music until Sonos supports it. Hopefully this will happen before November 30th in order to minimize down time. Maybe I missed earlier notifications or announcements, but 3 weeks notice seems short on Apple's part.

Let's just hope that the Sonos team doesn't wait until December 31st to meet their vague "End of the year" deadline.
[quote=reu2]
Let's just hope that the Apple team doesn't wait until December 31st to meet their vague "End of the year" deadline.

Fixed that for ya.
Userlevel 2
Badge
We don't have an announced timeline right now for Apple Music support on Sonos, but if you're following this thread we'll be updating everyone as soon as that information is available.

Let's try it a different way: Will Sonos support Apple Music before December 1, or not?
Let's try it a different way: Will Sonos support Apple Music before December 1, or not?

LOL at someone thinking they will answer that. And are you going to sell your gear if the answer is no?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

We're working to get Apple Music playing on Sonos by the end of the year, beyond that, we can't comment further on a timetable for the development. As soon as there are more details available, rest assured that we'll let everyone know.
Please release a patch for Sonos Playlists to recognize beats tracks in Apple Music. I have thousands of tracks across multiple playlists from beats, and need to play them through Apple Music when it is available. This patch was released when MOG became Beats. Please do the same for Apple.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
With Beats music going silent, we wanted you all to know that Apple Music will be available on Sonos through a public beta starting on December 15. We expect Apple Music to be fully available on Sonos outside of our public beta program in early 2016. Find out more about Apple Music on Sonos here: http://blog.sonos.com/news/sonos-welcomes-apple-music/