BBC Radio Maintenance - 1 to 9 June 2015

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
BBC have informed us that they will be performing maintenance on their streaming services between Monday 1st of June and Tuesday 9th of June.

We’re expecting a very low impact, but it is possible that you could experience a playback failure during the maintenance period.  If that happens after the 9th of June please submit a diagnostic in the settings of your controller and post the diagnostic number in this thread.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I got excited then and thought it was an announcement about Hls streams 😞
Userlevel 1
Thank heavens for a good old DAB radio.  TuneIn is useless today.  Diagnostic number 4612122 refers
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled BBC radio streams no longer work on Sonos. Until two weeks ago, BBC radio streams worked fine. Now none work - they start for 3 or 4 seconds then stop.  Other radio streams work fine (e.g. Wreckingball Radio).  A pity, as I have just added a Playbar to my system at massive cost!

I have submitted diagnostics (4612250)
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
After, reloading the station as advised above, BBC Radio 2 has just cut out on me again.  Diag.  4612503 submitted.
Thanks for the information.  I have implemented an minimserver on RPi to get the direct HLS streams into my Sonos kit.  It had been working perfectly, but this morning it was like going back to the mp3 stream (i.e. dropping out ever 10-30 seconds).  At least I now know its them fiddling this time.

It made me wonder if the beeb actually has the capacity to meet it's streaming demand during peak listening hours..
Could someone please explain why Favourites v's searching on Tunein and playing there makes a difference. I have continual problems with BBC R1 and if using favourites less flexible then I would like to know.. many thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Could someone please explain why Favourites v's searching on Tunein and playing there makes a difference. I have continual problems with BBC R1 and if using favourites less flexible then I would like to know.. many thanks
Hi Paul,

There are multiple streams available for stations like BBC R1. When you favorite it in Sonos, your system favorites one of those streams. Searching for the station and playing it through Radio on Sonos might get you a different stream which isn't not having trouble.
Excellent - thanks for letting me know that..... I will try the other way for a while to see if we have better continuity.
At 07:00 on 3 June. Blip on BBC Radio 2 for approx ten seconds, stream stutters and appears to restart on 'Kitchen' & 'Conservatory' in this diagnostic: 4615300
How does this work if you want to use the radio station as an alarm? I can only select from My Radio Stations. If this is a link to a broken stream as you state, then my alarm will not go off.
At 07:00 on 3 June. Blip on BBC Radio 2 for approx ten seconds, stream stutters and appears to restart on 'Kitchen' & 'Conservatory' in this diagnostic: 4615300
Same again at 07:10 diagnostic: 4615311
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great question Gary.

You could remove the old stream favorite, and add a new one, then try that with the alarm. When it goes off, the players will try to play that stream and if it's not working correctly it might skip, stutter, or fail to play entirely. If it fails to connect to the stream to start with, the alarm may play a chime which is a back up alarm. But in this case it may or may not switch to the chime depending on how the stream is behaving. 

During this maintenance period, it might be best for you to use a different alarm audio source depending on what it takes to wake you up, and hoe important it is to rise.