BBC Radio HLS Now Available in Public Beta

• 1 October 2015
  • 18 replies

Badge +3
We have an important update to share with you today. In addition to some exciting product and software news announced earlier this week, we are proceeding with the next testing phase of BBC HLS support through our public beta program, starting today. This will mark the first time BBC streams are made available in HLS through Sonos for a wide audience. Once the beta program concludes, the change will be made available to all Sonos users.

If you’re currently a public beta tester, you already have everything you need to begin receiving HLS. Just update to the latest build using the Update Now prompt in your controller. If you’re not currently a beta tester and would like to help test HLS, you can sign up at http://beta.sonos.com. For all testers, new and old alike, we’re seeking your input on how well the implementation is working, especially in terms of quality and reliability.

After updating to the latest build of the public beta (version 6.0), Sonos will automatically receive an HLS stream provided by the BBC through TuneIn instead of the MP3 versions being provided at the moment. You’ll notice an immediate increase in audio quality, as well as the removal of restrictions on local streaming content for listeners in the UK. What’s not changing over the current version is archived listen again content. This programming will continue to use the current MP3 implementation (not HLS) until a future Sonos release, currently targeted for 2016.

Many of you are also wondering about our long-term plans for the BBC on Sonos. While we don’t have any specific details to share at this moment, we also believe that for many, the BBC is a vital part of daily listening. We’re currently engaged in discussions with the BBC about how we can partner to provide the best possible BBC experience on Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Many of you are also wondering about our long-term plans for the BBC on Sonos. While we don’t have any specific details to share at this moment, we also believe that for many, the BBC is a vital part of daily listening. We’re currently engaged in discussions with the BBC about how we can partner to provide the best possible BBC experience on Sonos.

This sounds exciting. The BBC produces some amazing content. I spend a huge amount of time listening to Radio 4 and 6 Music. Looking forward to the improvements.

(How about displaying the song they are playing on the controller - they do that on the iplayer web interface.)
I have just seen the Sonos release regarding this ..fantastic news especially the Podcast stuff...brilliant!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Sonos version 6.0, containing HLS support, has completed beta and is now fully available for all systems. You can update your devices from a controller under Settings > Online Updates, or by clicking Update Now from the music menu. Once you’ve updated to 6.0 on your system, all of your players will automatically be receiving the HLS streams for BBC stations when you go to play from them.

Please note that this update contains support for the HLS live streams, but not recorded or “listen again” content. We’re working to get those recorded BBC shows playing on Sonos as well, and are looking to a 2016 release date. We’ll let you know when we have more details to share on that release in the future.

For more details on Sonos version 6.0 please see here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-60-available-trueplay-tuning-and-more-6732708
BBC RADIO 2 still dropping out can anyone help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you haven't done so remove it from your Radio Stations and favourites. Then search for i again and re-add it.
Thanks I'll try your suggestion and see what happens

All the best
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks I'll try your suggestion and see what happens

All the best

Let us know how it goes. If you do still have trouble, can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?
Still dropping out and have tried to send diagnostic but without success. Could this ba a wifi problem only signal is showing 5 bars out of 5
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It could be an IP conflict issue so try the following:-

Switch off your Wi-Fi Router
Switch off ALL your Sonos kit
Switch off ALL devices connected to your Network
- Computers, Laptops, Tablets
- Smartphones, thick phones
- NAS

Switch on Router. Wait until it has re-connecte to the internet
Switch on Sonos Bridge and/or Boost, Connect - Wait a minute or two for them to connect
Switch on your Sonos Plays and Playbar
Switch on all your other network devices

You don't say if all other stations are working ok or if it is just Radio 2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You can try Stuart_W's suggestions, also if you can't send diagnostics it's likely something specific to your environment, such as wireless interference on the players or network trouble.

Do you have trouble playing other sources of audio too on Sonos?
Thanks I'll try Stuarts suggestion and see if it cure. The problem only seems to happen on BBC - other stations have been fine as has music playback from music library imported songs.
I'm not using a sonos bridge - is a bridge likely to help?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a samsung smartthings device that allows me to input URL's of radio stations, just wondering how I can go about setting this up?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have a samsung smartthings device that allows me to input URL's of radio stations, just wondering how I can go about setting this up?

Ask Samsung?
Userlevel 1
Badge

Ask Samsung?

the smartthings plugs into my soons. I found the HLS links, but unsure how to modify them to work with sonos. Essentially what I am trying to do is make my sonos play a uri from the SmartRules app that, allows a sonos device to play from a link.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I haven't tried with radio stations but with Smartthings what I normally do is play the song etc. that I want to automate. Then go into the settings for the Smartthings plug in and then I can add that song as a stream I can pull up using Smartthings and automate with rules. I haven't tried with a radio stream vs. a song but I would assume it would work the same way.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'm guessing there is still no news about finally getting the BBC listen again content running yet ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm guessing there is still no news about finally getting the BBC listen again content running yet ?

We'll be posting an announcement as soon as there's anything to share, but currently it's still being worked on. We'll let you know when there's an update.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Thanks Ryan