BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra No Longer Available for Streaming Outside of the UK

• 25 July 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
The BBC has notified us that due to a change in international streaming rights, they have stopped making Radio 5 live sports extra available for any streaming outside of the United Kingdom, including Sonos. Radio 5 live will still continue to be available. This change goes into effect today, July 25th. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
So will UK sonos users still get it?
I thought the BBC were moving to end all free streaming of both visual and audio content, and only allow it's tv licence payers to continue to get it without paying extra. This could be the start.
Is sonos working on adding bbc iplayer radio as a service?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So will UK sonos users still get it?
I thought the BBC were moving to end all free streaming of both visual and audio content, and only allow it's tv licence payers to continue to get it without paying extra. This could be the start.
Is sonos working on adding bbc iplayer radio as a service?

Max Ps post is quite explicit in that UK users will still receive Radio 5 Live Sports Extra. Now the Americans won't be able to enjoy the delights of Test Match Special!

The Government has, I believe (or they will), closed the loop-hole that meant if you only watched TV via the iPlayer you didn't need a TV license. You do NOT need a license to listen to radio however you receive your broadcasts.

There was, during the end of the BBC HLS stream debacle, a thread where a Sonos person made allusion to the fact that they would like to integrate iPlayer. However, since then, it has become clear that there does not appear to be plans** beyond ensuring that Sonos can play the BBC catch-up content available within TuneIn on Sonos.

**We know Sonos don't post roadmaps so this is speculation on my part.

I for one would love an iPlayer integration as BBC catch up via TuneIn is, let's be charitable, GARBAGE and barely fit for purpose. EG I wanted to listen to a recent series of 5 broadcasts from Radio 4 - They didn't appear in Sonos and nor did they appear on the TuneIn website. But they are on iPlayer. I got them and moved them to my music file and indexed and they played lovely but it took me an hour longer of messing about.

Frankly I'm amazed people aren't complaining about it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well he said what was not available, didn't actually confirm what was still available to UK sonos users, pedantic I know, but that's me for you ;)
Does it go by what country you stated when sonos account set-up?
I think old users probably gave up on BBC catch-up on sonos long ago, and so gave up complaining. But a lot of post recently have moaned about it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't know if this is going to be controlled by TuneIn checking the IP address and working out the country from that or using the country indicator in your Sonos user profile.

This is a good question. AFAICT Tunein geoblocks on their own apps by your IP.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

This is a good question. AFAICT Tunein geoblocks on their own apps by your IP.

This is correct, TuneIn does use geolocation to determine where you're trying to play off their service from, including playback on Sonos.
I can still get Sports Extra but 'regular' Five Live has disappeared from my choices? Any ideas? Bad timing with the football season now upon us.