Audible on Sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12389 replies

Starting today, Audible is now available on Sonos! You can now play from Audible on Sonos using the Sonos app or directly to Sonos players using the Audible app. Later this year, you’ll also be able to use Alexa to control what’s playing from Audible on Sonos.

Audible hosts the world’s largest selection of audiobooks, and now you can listen to any of those, out loud, in any room of your home on Sonos.  

Catch up on a biography while you cook dinner in the kitchen or queue up a favorite in the living room with the family. We already have a few favorites we’re planning to listen to this week, check them out here.    

To get started, just add Audible as a service to Sonos in the Sonos App by going More > Add a Service or play directly from the Audible App to Sonos. Once added, pick your favorite book and easily navigate chapters, or jump forward and backward by 30 seconds to skip parts or hear something again.

For more details on setting up Audible, please see our page here.

Audible will remember where you last were listening using your Audible app and you can pick right back up again on Sonos when you get home.

Audible is available on Sonos in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, and Canada.

Still want to read more? Check out our home page here.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

102 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, for those looking forward to Alexa control of Audible on Sonos, it's now available today on Sonos Ones. For more details, see our announcement here.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I have a US and a UK account under the same account name - when I first login and click on Audible, I see audible.co.uk and audible.com, and both have my books under each section - great! However, when I start to listen to one, if I go back to audible later, it goes directly to the region that book is in and I can't change region and go to the other region. I can't add a second account as sonos says that account is already added. Is there a way to force sonos to not remember the region, or to allow me to change it without having to remove and re-add audible to sonos?

Seems to be an issue for other users too. I have same login/passwords for audible/amazon US and AU. When I add Audible initially it shows all countries as options, and I can then access my libraries in the US and AU. However, Sonos soon reverts to US only access - the other country options are no longer displayed. Appears to be a bug - when will this get fixed?

Yep, I have the same issue: I have US and a UK audible accounts. When I first add the audible music service I can swap between libraries. But once Ive picked a book there’s no way back to the other marketplaces. You also can’t simply add the second marketplace as a separate account. The work around is to remove the audible service and re-add it to once again get a choice of marketplace.

However, as pointed out by “chicks” earlier in the thread, you can also cast from your phone, so I can have the Sonos signed into the uk marketplace and choose from all my uk books, but cast a US book straight to the Sonos zone if I have that book downloaded onto my phone.

So, its not the end of the world, but would be nice to see it fixed.
Userlevel 2
I have a US and a UK account under the same account name - when I first login and click on Audible, I see audible.co.uk and audible.com, and both have my books under each section - great! However, when I start to listen to one, if I go back to audible later, it goes directly to the region that book is in and I can't change region and go to the other region. I can't add a second account as sonos says that account is already added. Is there a way to force sonos to not remember the region, or to allow me to change it without having to remove and re-add audible to sonos?

Seems to be an issue for other users too. I have same login/passwords for audible/amazon US and AU. When I add Audible initially it shows all countries as options, and I can then access my libraries in the US and AU. However, Sonos soon reverts to US only access - the other country options are no longer displayed. Appears to be a bug - when will this get fixed?
Userlevel 2
Badge
account subscriptions in Italy and Japan are unique in the way they're licensed and handled on the server side at Audible. They work differently from the rest of the world and aren't compatible with the way our integration works with Audible right now.

Yes, that's what I've been thinking in the last hours. The strange thing is it's still possible to authenticate it. For instance, I found a way for letting iTunes on my Mac play audiobooks manually downloaded from the Android phone on which the Audible.it app is running. I don't have a HOWTO since it involved trying to authenticate with my Italy account on Audible.com through iTunes authorization process. After forcefully trying a bit, it simply worked, so I presume it might be possible to cross-authorize apps via audible.com since the Amazon API can log on every marketplace if the accounts exists (before Amazon.it came to life, I had an Amazon.com account, so that might be it).

But of course Italy (and Japan?) are behaving like frogs in the well and cannot see far from their nose 😕 thus deciding to authorize and handle accounts by themselves...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi docfuz, thanks for sharing what you've heard from the Italy team at Audible. I just responded to your question in the other thread, but to clarify, account subscriptions in Italy and Japan are unique in the way they're licensed and handled on the server side at Audible. They work differently from the rest of the world and aren't compatible with the way our integration works with Audible right now. We know there's a lot of interest from these countries and are looking into it, but don't have any specifics to share on them coming to Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge
OK, here you go: there are technical problems with Audible Italy. I will spare you the emails I shared with Audible Italy customer support.

I cannot elaborate on the differences with every other Audible marketplace, but there are some very definite one between Audible in Italy and the USA. For instance, in audible.com you can export and play files with iTunes, just to name one. You can authorize the iTunes app with audible.com to play the audiobooks. In Italy you can't.

There isn't, I presume, support for the audible/amazon API to authorize playing/streaming of the files. You can only do it with the Audible apps. In fact, the Audible Italy app cannot even be installed on the Amazon Fire, since that would imply having access to the Amazon API for content sharing and playing.

So, unless Audible Italy (Japan?!) will get its thinking straight in this century, streaming on Sonos will probably not be available anytime soon.

I hope to stand corrected 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, in case you missed it, yesterday Audible went live in many new regions for Sonos. See here for the announcement. It's not available on Sonos everywhere, but many of the places you've been asking about.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Ryan,
Please help me understand what the issue is here, I've read through most of the comments here and it seems to me you are for some reason reluctant to simply say why this is taking time.

Please note that this is just speculation.
Last time I checked in Audible USA, you could link your account to play selected books (not to stream, just play the downloaded ones) on external PC/Mac players, for instance iTunes. To my knowledge, my local marketplace, in Italy, never allowed this: you can only stream/play from the Audible apps.

So while the first levels of Audible support are giving inconsistent responses to our questions, is it possible there is some sort of technical limitation in the localized Audibles marketplaces apart from legal ones?

Of course with Sonos you never know 🆒
Userlevel 2
Badge
[quote=Gran Maestro]Hi.
ciao docfuz, non sei selfish siamo apparentemente noi utenti italiani “figli di un Dio minore” :8

gia', peraltro audible.it non supporta (facilmente) neanche l'uso di itunes o analoghi e direi che l'app collegata al marketplace italiano non supporti il connect to device per lo streaming :8
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well, that's great (not). The Audible.it support replied to my query telling me that they do not know whether their service is compatible or not and that I should ask Sonos support.... :?
Badge +2
Hi.
Sorry if my first message is so selfish :8 but I'd love to push for Audible support in Italy, too. Since you're probably asking Audible in many countries to work around/with this, please add Italy, too.
ciao docfuz, non sei selfish siamo apparentemente noi utenti italiani “figli di un Dio minore” :8
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi.
Sorry if my first message is so selfish :8 but I'd love to push for Audible support in Italy, too. Since you're probably asking Audible in many countries to work around/with this, please add Italy, too.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I would also like to see Audible supported by Sonos in Norway without any hacks by the end user. Audible works in Norway, please support it.
Badge
Hi Ryan,
Please help me understand what the issue is here, I've read through most of the comments here and it seems to me you are for some reason reluctant to simply say why this is taking time.
Perhaps it would help calm the community if you could go through what the process of clearing a country entails?
I've been subscribed to Audible for years now in my country and I can listen to it on all my devices except Sonos.

Part of the Sonos community is feeling left out (even discriminated against) and it is causing a lot anger. Please just be honest and make it clear why this is taking time. Even better make an implementation plan with goals and share it with the community to show that you care.

I was in touch with Audible about this and they confusingly told me it should already be available.

Thanks from Iceland
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, exciting news for you. Starting today Audible is available on Sonos in The Netherlands in addition to the countries above. I'll be editing the list to include that location. As soon as we have more news as Audible expands to more countries on Sonos we'll be letting you know. Thanks for your patience and if you have a book to recommend feel free to share it here.

Audible is available on Sonos in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

Please add Norway, there's no reason not too
For the scandinavians out there. I also could not setup Audible through the sonos app. So i changed the country in my sonos app, restarted the app and viola Audible available as service.
Badge
First, I want to say thanks for getting Audible on Sonos. I was wondering if there will by an update for speeding up the playback, as well as the other features that don't work through Sonos?
Still no support for Italy either, and no word from Sonos about why it's restricted or when (if? ) they ever intend to fix this. Having waited so long for this essential feature, it looks like Sonos might just forget about the rest of the world. ?
Still no support for Nordic countries? Is it because of location restrictions on Audibles part, or is it Sonos who is restricting?
Hi I have been with audible since before Amazon took over. When i try to link sonos to audible I'm not able to login using my audible username. It forces me to use my amazon account details ( which has no books associated with it). Is there a way around this?

If you’re a long-time Audible user, you’ll need to link your Audible and Amazon accounts together before you can add it to Sonos. Learn how to link the accounts here.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/audible-on-sonos-6804502/index1.html#post16217823
Badge +2
Hi I have been with audible since before Amazon took over. When i try to link sonos to audible I'm not able to login using my audible username. It forces me to use my amazon account details ( which has no books associated with it). Is there a way around this?Hi maransoftware, this looks to me more like a amazon issue than something Sonos related.. but who knows? What appears very clear after seeing so little feedback from Sonos staff is that we are more or less left behind by the dev team, all Children of a lesser God.
Hi I have been with audible since before Amazon took over. When i try to link sonos to audible I'm not able to login using my audible username. It forces me to use my amazon account details ( which has no books associated with it). Is there a way around this?

Starting today, Audible is now available on Sonos! You can now play from Audible on Sonos using the Sonos app or directly to Sonos players using the Audible app. Later this year, you’ll also be able to use Alexa to control what’s playing from Audible on Sonos.

Audible hosts the world’s largest selection of audiobooks, and now you can listen to any of those, out loud, in any room of your home on Sonos.  

Catch up on a biography while you cook dinner in the kitchen or queue up a favorite in the living room with the family. We already have a few favorites we’re planning to listen to this week, check them out here.    

To get started, just add Audible as a service to Sonos in the Sonos App by going More > Add a Service or play directly from the Audible App to Sonos. Once added, pick your favorite book and easily navigate chapters, or jump forward and backward by 30 seconds to skip parts or hear something again.

For more details on setting up Audible, please see our page here.

Audible will remember where you last were listening using your Audible app and you can pick right back up again on Sonos when you get home.

Audible is available on Sonos in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

Still want to read more? Check out our home page here.
Badge +2
Interestingly I just wrote to Audible customer service to ask them why their services weren’t available as an additional channel to Sonos and they seem not be aware of the issue.
They sheepishly told me to locate the service among voice services.. Can you believe this?

Here is their reply

Audible users who have Sonos will need to manually add the Audible service to their app in order to play their audiobooks through their Sonos system.

To add the Audible service to Sonos:

1. Open the Sonos App on the device
2. At the bottom of the main screen, tap "More"
3. Tap "Voice Services"
4. Locate the Audible service and tap it
5. Tap "Add to Sonos"

If you are already an Audible member, you will be prompted to sign into your account. If you are not an Audible member, you can use this screen to sign up for a 1-month free trial.

So, what is the real story here?
Ryan, could you pleas kindly comment?

Thanks and regards,

Pieter Lansbergen from here in Italy