Audible on Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

102 replies

Userlevel 1
If Sonos will come out and officially inform us that this extreme limitation in countries able to use their products, is due to a restriction from Audible - then I'll apologize.

However it does seem unlikely. I can stream audible through various other means, with zero hassle. Sonos is the first time I've hit the wall, and Sonos has so far not responded in any clear manner.

So till we get a proper response, I find it quite fair to expect that Sonos has not done their due diligence in this matter in terms of informing those of us with this issue, whether we can expect this to work eventually, or never.

I may be wrong, but doesn't SONOS just provide the platform? Don't the streaming services themselves dictate what is able to play on SONOS products? If that is the case, then criticisms and complaints should be directed at Audible.
Userlevel 1
Badge
There's a bit of a glitch with multiroom volume control when starting the book in the Audible app. When you go back in the sonos app and click on the group which the audible book is playing to and the try to change the volume in an individual room on the app (in ios) the volume in all the other rooms in the group is also effected. So if for example I increase the volume in the dining room by 50% the other rooms go up by 50% too. This behaviour is not replicated if the source is from spoitify or a podcast from another source - only seems to be an issue from audible. Changing the volume by pressing the physical button on the actual speaker does not behave in such a way.
Liking that audible has been added but I can’t find any way to view the chapters
Userlevel 1
Badge
It does appear that, like spotify, to get the best of the service you need to play it from within the audible app rather than from within the Sonos app. However it does seem to pick up where you were in the book in the audible app when you play directly from the Sonos app.
Doesn’t work in Thailand yet, I am very disappointed ?. I updated everything both Sonos and Audible but it can’t seem to link. I think the problem lis because there is no Audible service on the service list page for Thailand. Nothing happened even after many trial of reinstalling and rebooting.

I gave up for now, too sad to keep trying.

Very happy audible is back however for most titles I increase the speed to 1.25 or 1.5 at times, CAN YOU PLEASE ENABLE THIS FUNCTION ON SONOS? It is now grayed out...is this something being worked on?

Agreed, I use this all the time too...really hoping it gets enabled!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Audible working here I uk but it won’t list my current book. I’ve tried to close it on iPhone. But the Sonos audible list refuses to see the “current playing”.
Ideas?
Badge
I used the audible integration with Sonos multiple times this weekend and it worked great in most instances. Alexa has issues picking the right book sometimes. Also I had one book I borrowed via the Kindle Unlimited membership and Sonos could not find it, however I borrowed another book this weekend and Sonos saw that one almost right away.
I used the audible integration with Sonos multiple times this weekend and it worked great in most instances. Alexa has issues picking the right book sometimes. Also I had one book I borrowed via the Kindle Unlimited membership and Sonos could not find it, however I borrowed another book this weekend and Sonos saw that one almost right away.

Starting today, Audible is now available on Sonos! You can now play from Audible on Sonos using the Sonos app or directly to Sonos players using the Audible app. Later this year, you’ll also be able to use Alexa to control what’s playing from Audible on Sonos. [...]
Kindle Unlimited yet isn't even mentioned - in other words, it isn't supported.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Great job by Sonos, Audible and Amazon, the spaghetti maze of wifi connections seem to be working great, except for being able to search my Audible library on the Sonos App. But, no big issue, will keep trying and I am sure I will figure out searching.

Search selecting Books at the top
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Did someone say it was restricted? To 90% of countries?

There Are 197 countries in the world. This service works in 11 of them. And so is restricted from use in all the other countries. 95 % is more correct however. Dumbed it down enough for you?

Then there are only 186 more letters to write to sort out permissions and licencing. How long will that take? Any ideas? dumbed down even more for you...enough?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Liking that audible has been added but I can’t find any way to view the chapters

There should be no need. Why do you want to?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Audible working here I uk but it won’t list my current book. I’ve tried to close it on iPhone. But the Sonos audible list refuses to see the “current playing”.
Ideas?

Finish current book.
Start new book.
Not working in Norway and no information of when. It’s ironic how Sonos only manages to block the features but can’t filter their communication to the countries. I bought Sonos based on the info that it would support audible. Now it does. But not in my country where audible can stream. I should have listen to the people warning me about the unnecessary restriction in Sonos proprietary systems. Hope AirPlay II comes soon so I can phase out the use of Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Sonos Thank you For audible support and features. working as advertised on the sonos ONE
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sonos Thank you For audible support and features. working as advertised on the sonos ONE

Working well here in the UK at present. Suspect this hasn't been a Sonos problem but has been in Amazon's court for a while. Still - you can't upset your partner with whom you are trying to bed on a permanent basis! It's been a long courtship though!

Thanks to both Sonos and Amazon though. A great Easter present!

Starting today, Audible is now available on Sonos! You can now play from Audible on Sonos using the Sonos app or directly to Sonos players using the Audible app. Later this year, you’ll also be able to use Alexa to control what’s playing from Audible on Sonos.

Audible hosts the world’s largest selection of audiobooks, and now you can listen to any of those, out loud, in any room of your home on Sonos.  

Catch up on a biography while you cook dinner in the kitchen or queue up a favorite in the living room with the family. We already have a few favorites we’re planning to listen to this week, check them out here.    

To get started, just add Audible as a service to Sonos in the Sonos App by going More > Add a Service or play directly from the Audible App to Sonos. Once added, pick your favorite book and easily navigate chapters, or jump forward and backward by 30 seconds to skip parts or hear something again.

For more details on setting up Audible, please see our page here.

Audible will remember where you last were listening using your Audible app and you can pick right back up again on Sonos when you get home.

Audible is available on Sonos in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

Still want to read more? Check out our home page here.
Do we have to wait another year to play books back at increased speed? How is it possible you can have taken this long and STILL don’t have a complete feature set?!
Do we have to wait another year to play books back at increased speed? How is it possible you can have taken this long and STILL don’t have a complete feature set?!
Play your audio books from the Audible app to Sonos - problem solved.
Badge
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? No support for 90% of the worlds countries? So, no support for Norway... Are we seriously living in the 2000s? With DVD restrictions and that crap? Still with an ONLINE subscription service that I pay for I will not be able to use on my physical speakers that are 1 meters from me at this moment because of Country restrictions? Seriously are this some kind of joke?!

Why dont you mention this in big letters!????? I have been pestering Audible support and they have worked hard to help out and now I have to find out through a forum? Are you serious!?!?!
:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@
Userlevel 2
I am in the UK. I have not been able to connect Sonos to my audible.co.uk account - either using the Sonos desktop app on the PC or on the iPhone Sonos app. Whenever I try to authorize my Audible account it takes me to Amazon.com and not to Amazon.co.uk. Nothing I do will make it go to amazon.co.uk. I have just updated my Sonos app on both devices. How can I direct the authorisation to go to amazon.co.uk? Please help! Thanks 🙂
When woukd it be able for Latin America?
I am in the UK. I have not been able to connect Sonos to my audible.co.uk account - either using the Sonos desktop app on the PC or on the iPhone Sonos app. Whenever I try to authorize my Audible account it takes me to Amazon.com and not to Amazon.co.uk. Nothing I do will make it go to amazon.co.uk. I have just updated my Sonos app on both devices. How can I direct the authorisation to go to amazon.co.uk? Please help! Thanks :)
Log out of all Amazon apps (including Audible) that are installed on your mobile device, and try it once again.
Play your audio books from the Audible app to Sonos - problem solved.

Yeah, nope. That is exactly what we tried and it throws up a warning that you can only play at 1x speed. Did you try this yourself?
Yeah, nope. That is exactly what we tried and it throws up a warning that you can only play at 1x speed. Did you try this yourself?
I rarely use the Audible app, so I tried it now, and you're right, it isn't possible.

Regarding your initiate comment "How is it possible you can have taken this long and STILL don’t have a complete feature set?!", an integration like Alexa/Audible, Google Assistant, Airplay2 etc. takes two to tango – Sonos and the respective rights holder.