Audible on Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

102 replies

Userlevel 1
Well that's just very disappointing to be honest.

I recently joined the Sonos family, with one of the main reasons being the upcoming Audible support. But apparently being located in Denmark, leaves us without this feature.

It can't be due to Audible not available here, as I've been a member for years, with a 100+ books library. As an avid listener when commuting, Sonos would be perfect to continue listening when coming home - but alas.

Expanding my Sonos system to every room, has been put on hold now. I'm quite disappointed about this to be honest.
Userlevel 2
Did someone say it was restricted? To 90% of countries?

There Are 197 countries in the world. This service works in 11 of them. And so is restricted from use in all the other countries. 95 % is more correct however. Dumbed it down enough for you?
I'm in Australia but don't see audible as an option when I go to add a service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Check that your system is updated to the latest version of Sonos, you should be up to 8.4. Also, make sure that your system is registered in the right country by going to sonos.com/myaccount and check there what country the account your system is registered to has set.
It's not working for me (in Canada). First I tried through the Audible app. After clicking "Connect to Device" I get a list of my Sonos speakers. Clicking on one of those (I've tried them all multiple times) gets me to the Authorization page. I click 'Continue', the screen returns to the book page - and nothing. The book continues to play on my phone but not on the selected Sonos speaker. Clicking "Connect..." again brings up the Authorization page again, and again 'Continue' doesn't generate any effects. I have restarted the phone a number of times, but to no avail.

Today, without any further efforts, it's working for me. Just did the same things as yesterday, but today, after authorizing, the Audible app actually connects to any and all of my speakers and plays the book through them. Hooray! Been waiting a long time for this (and I still cannot believe Sonos made us wait this long!)
I don’t think it was Sonos making you wait.
I'm registered to Australia and am using version 8.4. I'm afraid it's still not appearing.

Check that your system is updated to the latest version of Sonos, you should be up to 8.4. Also, make sure that your system is registered in the right country by going to sonos.com/myaccount and check there what country the account your system is registered to has set.
OK I've found it - it doesn't appear in the app itself in the list of available services but if I go to the top 'manage' menu then it appears. Thanks

I'm registered to Australia and am using version 8.4. I'm afraid it's still not appearing.

Userlevel 3
Badge
Thanks for bringing it back. I dunno if this is the right place, but I'd like to suggest Overdrive as the next audiobook system to support. It's used by the public library system for audiobooks. It would be a fantastic addition and a good way for Sonos to support public libraries.
I responded to this question in the separate thread you made.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi to everyone. Although I don't really care about Audible I am happy to see that sonos implemented the feature as it was highly requested! Kudos to Sonos!

Regarding the country / availability problems that lots of people seem to complain about, what the hell are you talking about?

- I have two audible accounts (.com and .co.uk) both tied to the same gmail address.
- Both accounts have an Italian payment (therefore are considered Italian)
- I live in the netherlands

I see both in the app, which is great as this experience is even better than through amazon app.

What is the issue?
I'm using the mac desktop app
Thank you.
Audible is very important to me and a key reason why I chose to invest in Sonos speakers was being able to listen to Audible as I did other things while wandering throughout my house. I was really disappointed to discover it was indefinitely temporarily unavailable. Though I've loved having Sonos for music, I had been holding off on buying speakers for additional rooms in my house until Audible was back. Now I plan to buy more. Again, thank you. 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
This makes me so happy!
I am pleased too, but Audible book chapters are not being listed in the Sonos App as they are in the Audible App making navigation difficult
I am pleased too, but Audible book chapters are not being listed in the Sonos App as they are in the Audible App making navigation difficult

You can cast to Sonos from within the Audible app...

You can cast to Sonos from within the Audible app...

Hmm, tried to do that but could not find an option to cast to Sonos.
On the playing screen, should show up if your phone is on WiFi.

Userlevel 2
Firstly tanks for the functionality. However in the Audible app I can play the audiobooks purchased direct from Audible or Amazon to a Sonos device but if I click into the Audible iTunes tab I can only play audiobooks purchased on iTunes on the iDevice speaker, wont let me play to Sonos?
Userlevel 2
Equally the Audible folder browsable in Sonos only shows Audible website purchases and not purchases via iTunes
Equally the Audible folder browsable in Sonos only shows Audible website purchases and not purchases via iTunes
Why did you expect that audiobooks purchased from iTunes would be supported too?
Geeh.. Please make audible work in all regions (especially Sweden! ?). Please give an official statement in regards to this.
As another affected user (from Sweden) I can only agree with the other guys comments here: You are restricting the Audible service more than Audible themselves are doing and that is very dissapointing.
Audible already enforces regional limits. I have myself encountered books that I found on their site, that I then was unable to purchase after logging in. Entirely because of licensing restrictions. I have however successfully purchased and enjoyed literally hundreds of books from them.
My main point is: It is impossible for me as an Audible customer to listen to books that I am not allowed to listen to in my country. I would not able to purchase them otherwise.
Meaning: Sonos should reasonably not have to enforce **any** regional limitations on top of this. As long as Sonos makes sure to only stream books that in fact are in the user's Audible library of purchased books, there should be no problem. And I'm pretty sure Audible's APIs are making sure that the user has indeed purchased the book before granting access to it.

Sonos, you really should sort this out. As others here have indicated: Me purchasing additional Sonos speakers in the future will be entirely dependent on whether you can provide the services I expect. I expect Audible. Otherwise there are other speakers that will provide what I want.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I may be wrong, but doesn't SONOS just provide the platform? Don't the streaming services themselves dictate what is able to play on SONOS products? If that is the case, then criticisms and complaints should be directed at Audible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
wds - oh stop yourself with all that reasonable thinking .... you must be on the wrong board.
Very happy audible is back however for most titles I increase the speed to 1.25 or 1.5 at times, CAN YOU PLEASE ENABLE THIS FUNCTION ON SONOS? It is now grayed out...is this something being worked on?