Apple Music Now Playing on Sonos

• 10 February 2016
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12389 replies
Apple Music is now available on Sonos players with Sonos version 6.2. You can initiate an update from any Sonos controller under Settings > Check for Updates. Once everything is updated you will see Apple Music available in all countries it’s streaming in.

To add Apple Music to your Sonos system, you’ll need to use iOS 8.4.1 or later or an Android phone using Android 4.3 or later. The service uses the Apple Music app on the device you’re using to authenticate the Sonos system, so a controller with Apple Music has to be used.

Apple Music can’t be added to a Sonos system using Kindle devices, Android tablets, or the Sonos Controller App for Mac or Windows, but Apple Music on Sonos can be controlled from these devices once it’s set up with a supported device. You can continue to use the Sonos app on these devices to control your Sonos system, add other music services, and so on.

Apple music brings more than 30 million songs on demand, Apple’s live station Beats 1, playlists from Apple’s Music Editors, Your Music, and more to Sonos. For more details about Apple Music on Sonos see here.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the beta testing of this service, and please let us know if you have any questions.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Badge
I'm very happy with Apple Music on Sonos, as well as my Sonos speakers (eight so far!).

Are there any feature differences between the beta 6.11 release and the 6.2 release? Or is it the usual "bug fixes and performance improvements"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm very happy with Apple Music on Sonos, as well as my Sonos speakers (eight so far!).

Are there any feature differences between the beta 6.11 release and the 6.2 release? Or is it the usual "bug fixes and performance improvements"?

Glad you're enjoying it. There aren't any feature changes between the latest beta release and the 6.2 launch today, beyond bug fixes and performance improvements.
Can anyone comment on their preference between Apple Music and Google Play Music, aside from the use of their preferred device (iPhone vs Andoird)?
Hi,

I am exited about this new fantastic feature, but as an old user I have a lot of Sonos stuff. Tree different addresses. Home, summerhouse and sSpanish apartment. Am I allowed to use the same Apple music account in all addresses?

Rune M
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am exited about this new fantastic feature, but as an old user I have a lot of Sonos stuff. Tree different addresses. Home, summerhouse and sSpanish apartment. Am I allowed to use the same Apple music account in all addresses?

Hi Rune,

Apple Music has a stream limitation of one device playing from an account at a time, with each Sonos household appearing as a single device. This is the same as many other services, and it works out to where you can have several Sonos systems with Apple Music set-up, but only one can be playing from the service at one time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can anyone comment on their preference between Apple Music and Google Play Music, aside from the use of their preferred device (iPhone vs Andoird)?

We tend not to comment ourselves on preferences here, but we'll see if someone in the community chimes in for you with an opinion.
I understand. Is there any difference if I sign a family account. Can a Sonos act as an person i those 5? possible persons. In that case one could be me, one Sonos spain and so on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I understand. Is there any difference if I sign a family account. Can a Sonos act as an person i those 5? possible persons. In that case one could be me, one Sonos spain and so on?

Absolutely. The family plan acts as independent accounts for each login. Since you add Apple Music through the app on your mobile device, you'd need to make sure it's logged in to the correct account at the time you go to add the service on your Sonos, but you could do this. Also, keep in mind that the music library of one family plan member is different from the next. So your playlists on your personal account might not be the ones on your Sonos system through a different Apple Music account. Depending on the features you use this might be the best solution for you though.
Badge
Any idea when users who only have Windows PCs or Android tablets might be able to use this service?

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Any idea when users who only have Windows PCs or Android tablets might be able to use this service?

To authorize the service on Sonos you need to go through the Apple Music native app which is only available on iOS and Android phones. For the moment those are the only devices you'll be able to use to add Apple Music to Sonos with. Once you've used one of those devices you'll be able to control the service from any of your controllers.
Badge
"A Sonos station on Apple Music, curated by artists in collaboration with Sonos, is also launching tomorrow."

Any idea where this radio station is?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
"A Sonos station on Apple Music, curated by artists in collaboration with Sonos, is also launching tomorrow."

Any idea where this radio station is?

Apple Music > New > Curator Playlists > Sonos
Userlevel 2
Badge
Not showing up for me...
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Not showing up for me...

Not showing up for me either...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Currently the Sonos curated station is available on Apple Music for the US, UK, ANZ, CA, DE, FR, and NL. If it's not showing up under the "curator" section in your country, check if you can search for it and let us know.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Nothing came up. Would it be under Stations? There's a Sonos Radio but it's obviously not you guys.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Nothing came up. Would it be under Stations? There's a Sonos Radio but it's obviously not you guys.

Same here. Two Sonos Radio stations show up in search as stations but I don't know if either is official Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Are you able to search for the Sonos curator within the Apple Music software itself? If so, you can add us to your library and should be able to see the station within your Sonos software.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes it was possible to search for Sonos in IOS Music, but the only sign of the station in the Sonos software is if I save one of your playlists. I think this might be a question for Apple Music Help. Sonos is not the only curator that doesn't show up for me. I can only see Resident Advisor if I follow them and they show up in the Connect section.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I am able to search for and find Sonos in the curator section on the iOS Apple Music app (as well as on my iMac) and I have chosen the option to follow it. I am able to add a specific Sonos playlist to my music. However, there does not seem to be an option to explore all Sonos created curator lists in the Sonos app. The Sonos app does show me a large number of other curators in the "Curator" section. I attached screenshots showing the ones that appear for me.
Thank you for sharing the information here. Its much informative and really i got some valid information. You had posted the amazing article.

Hadoop Training in Chennai