Apple Music Coming to Sonos Soon

• 30 November 2015
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12081 replies
The end of the year is almost here and we’re excited to announce that Apple Music will be available on Sonos through a public beta starting on December 15. We expect Apple Music to be fully available on Sonos outside of our public beta program in early 2016.

For more info about how to join our public beta program please see here. You can sign up early, but Apple Music won't be available until December 15th.

Read more on our blog here.

Once you’ve added Apple Music to your Sonos system, you can navigate between several Apple Music menus, including For You, New, Radio, and your own music library through My Music. These features will include access to more than 30 million songs on demand, activity playlists, playlists from music experts including Apple Music Editors, Apple’s live station, Beats 1, and radio stations across genres.

Find out more about Apple Music here. http://www.apple.com/music/

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Part of a private beta is a non disclosure agreement.. As such, any discussion associated with a private beta should be between the beta tester and SONOS staff, not here on the public Community. In the past SONOS has been rather sensitive about "leaks" and one could jeopardize one's standing as a beta tester if responsible for a leak.

simply swap out "Fight Club" and the rule is
The first rule of Sonos Beta is: You do not talk about Sonos Beta. The second rule of Sonos Beta is: You do not talk about Sonos Beta. Third rule of Sonos Beta: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the beta is over. Fourth rule: only two guys to a beta. Fifth rule: one beta at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: no shirts, no shoes. Seventh rule: betas will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first night at Sonos Beta, you have to beta.

😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan: The email you sent for the beta, along with the page at sonos.com/applemusic don't indicate the beta begins December 15th. The email reads as if the beta is available immediately, and the website reads as if the public software launch is December 15th. I just spent 20 minutes working through the install only to find your post here afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback mattyl. The website says "Join the beta now and start listening on December 15." because you can sign up for public beta already, you just don't get Apple Music until the 15th. I'll pass you feedback over to the team though, they're always looking to improve the beta experience.

I'd just like to post a reminder to everyone to keep things friendly here. There's no need to insult anyone or be unwelcoming. Thanks for helping each other out and let us know if you have any other questions.
so ... I got the invite to the beta ... but my Mac controller and my iOS app advent been / won't up date to the 6.1 required software .... .thoughts?
rude. just rude.

the email says "join beta now" and instructs one to click and follow directions....
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
what do you mean 'wont update' ? Is it the update option that is missing or some kind of error ?

Did you get a mail from the Sonos Beta team ? It should contain a link to the software. Try installing it on IOS first. You may need to delete the current app. You'll then be prompted to update the speakers. Once thats done check the Mac controller and it should show the 'update now' option.
what do you mean 'wont update' ? Is it the update option that is missing or some kind of error ?

Did you get a mail from the Sonos Beta team ? It should contain a link to the software. Try installing it on IOS first. You may need to delete the current app. You'll then be prompted to update the speakers. Once thats done check the Mac controller and it should show the 'update now' option.

Thanks for the response --- yes I did receive an email yesterday from the Sonos Beta team inviting me to "join the beta"

When I click the link am taken to a web page that starts to walk me through the process of setting up for the beta.

It asks to check the versions of the Mac and iOS apps -- stating both should be 6.1 with a certain build #. Both are 6.0 and deleting and reinstalling each only returns a 6.0 app.

I imagine the 6.1 will be available on the 15th -- just odd to send a note saying "join the beta" on 11/30 and not be able to follow the steps. why not wait until the apps updates are available.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
the invitation you posted above clearly states, as an ex-Beats user, you can exclusively join the "private beta" "right now". The public beta is the one starting on 15 Dec.

Try logging into https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/beta/ with your Sonos credentials where it should show which beta you are joined on. Hopefully that will tell you ! There is 'Downloads' tab to download the beta software from there.
Userlevel 2
Super excited to have Apple Music on Sonos!
so ... I got the invite to the beta ... but my Mac controller and my iOS app advent been / won't up date to the 6.1 required software .... .thoughts?

Yes:

"Apple Music will be available on Sonos through a public beta starting on ****December 15****."
Per the OP, the Beta won't be available 'til Dec. 15th, whether or not you sign up early. Patience, butterfly!

You may or may not be accepted for the Beta program. Sonos will need to vet a bunch of applicants; they won't be able to do that in one day...
Ryan: The email you sent for the beta, along with the page at sonos.com/applemusic don't indicate the beta begins December 15th. The email reads as if the beta is available immediately, and the website reads as if the public software launch is December 15th. I just spent 20 minutes working through the install only to find your post here afterwards.

I'd just like to post a reminder to everyone to keep things friendly here. There's no need to insult anyone or be unwelcoming.

Timely reminder that, Ryan. Thank you.
Badge +1
Sounds like good news. Still a long wait till release to everybody I tried to sign up for beta today and it says, there are no beta programs running now .So I guess I am too late to join the beta. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No the beta doesn't start until December 15
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
On controller you should be able to go under settings. Advanced. Beta ...and enable beta there
What happen to having Apple music on Sonos by the end of year? That's what I was told when I contacted Sonos when Apple Music was made public.
What happen to having Apple music on Sonos by the end of year? That's what I was told when I contacted Sonos when Apple Music was made public.

What happened to reading the thread, specifically the post at the top of this page, where a Sonos rep announced the Apple Music Beta for December 15?
Since when is a beta release the same has a fully functioning release?

Since it's a public beta and anyone can sign up for it.

What happened to reading the thread, specifically the post at the top of this page, where a Sonos rep announced the Apple Music Beta for December 15?

Careful chap, wouldn't want anyone to think you were being rude...

Never said it was. Though a public beta is as close as it gets, and the full release is expected by early 2016. Are you going to complain about that when you could join the Beta and get it on Dec. 15? If so . . . I guess you have that right, and if one is prone to receive some type of satisfaction from complaining about something as trivial as that, knock yourself out.
Careful chap, wouldn't want anyone to think you were being rude...

Gee, I thought my intent was quote clear. No thinking needed. 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
As far as I'm aware, there's been no word from Sonos about implementing iTunes Match as part of their Apple Music implementation. Without being able to access my own music (matched/uploaded) through the service it will feel very half implemented. Without this functionality there is no way I will be switching from Google Play Music, especially as you get that functionality for free with them. If this is not going to be implemented, I hope people haven't been buying Sonos kit with the belief that they will be able to access all of their music in the same way as Google Play. It's a must have in my opinion.

Has there been any official word from Sonos on this matter?
There has been no official word on what features will/will not be included in the Apple Music release. I'm sure once the public Beta starts we will know more.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I may be mistaken but isn't the point of iTunes match that you can access your own local music library while being mobile? What's the point of including this in Apple Music on Sonos when you can already share your local library (which is also uploaded to the Apple cloud) with Sonos?
Again maybe I'm missing something...