Apple Music Coming to Sonos Soon

• 30 November 2015
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12079 replies
The end of the year is almost here and we’re excited to announce that Apple Music will be available on Sonos through a public beta starting on December 15. We expect Apple Music to be fully available on Sonos outside of our public beta program in early 2016.

For more info about how to join our public beta program please see here. You can sign up early, but Apple Music won't be available until December 15th.

Read more on our blog here.

Once you’ve added Apple Music to your Sonos system, you can navigate between several Apple Music menus, including For You, New, Radio, and your own music library through My Music. These features will include access to more than 30 million songs on demand, activity playlists, playlists from music experts including Apple Music Editors, Apple’s live station, Beats 1, and radio stations across genres.

Find out more about Apple Music here. http://www.apple.com/music/

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
When is soon?

This thread's a bit old, so the title isn't necessary relevant so much. Apple Music became available on Sonos in public beta starting on December 15. You're welcome to join the beta at any time following the directions in the first post and you'll be able to use Apple Music on Sonos in any country it's available.

We don't have a publicly announced date for the final release at the moment, but we'll let everyone know when there is one.
I am just wondering when in early 2016?
When is soon?

The beta is available now, full release expected early 2016. Click here for beta instructions:

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/apple-music-on-sonos?r=1
When is soon?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Although I subscribe to Apple Match, I can access all my iTunes library via Sonos as my library folder is on my NAS. Is the issue that some wish to access their music from the cloud when away from home? Other than that I don't follow what the problem is.
There are many on this forum who know far more that I do, so I'm sure I'm not understanding something here!

You're almost right, generally the request for iTunes Match is for iCloud access on Sonos so that computers or NAS drives don't need to be on, or around. That way you don't have to look for updating the local library or other potential concerns. Local libraries work great for a lot of people, especially for iTunes tracks. But in some homes iCloud support would be great too.

It certainly could be a nice addition to Sonos, though at this time we don't have any news on the subject.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Although I subscribe to Apple Match, I can access all my iTunes library via Sonos as my library folder is on my NAS. Is the issue that some wish to access their music from the cloud when away from home? Other than that I don't follow what the problem is.
There are many on this forum who know far more that I do, so I'm sure I'm not understanding something here!
I'm pretty sure that, like all other services, Apple decides the pricing scheme, not Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Ryan

It would be great if Sonos could just work with any Apple ID / iCloud library. I think of the iCloud library as the base service that you add additional services/purchases to like:

1) Purchased iTunes tracks
2) iTunes Match subscription
3) Apple Music subscription.

If you only have 1) and/ or 2) above it would be great if you could listen to them on Sonos without needing an Apple Music subscription.

I'm really enjoying listening to my 16000 matched tracks on Sonos. I've added a couple of thousand tracks to my library via Apple Music. Now that I've gotten used to using my iTunes Match tracks with Sonos I wouldn't want to loose this functionality if I decided to cancel my Apple Music subscription in the future.

It's brilliant that playlists that I create in iTunes are now automatically available on Sonos. With the NAS / iTunes XML file approach it was/is a real pain having to close iTunes to update the XML and re-index to get the playlists into Sonos. The integration is so much better now but why should we require Apple Music to get this functionality? After all, purchased tracks and iTunes Match subcriptions are all paid for (to Apple).

With Google Play Music you get all of the upload/match functionality with a free account and you can use it with Sonos. With Apple you have to pay for the upload/match functionality and you can't use it with Sonos, without the additional Apple Music subscription. Something doesn't seem right here.

Anyone who has an iTunes library that only consists of purchased tracks from the iTunes store can't listen to them on Sonos via the cloud. It doesn't seem right that they should have to pay a monthly subscription to be able to listen to music that they have already paid for (via the cloud rather than local storage).

The Apple/Sonos integration would be perfect if it supported 1) and/or 2) above (without Apple Music) and support for Smart Playlists was added.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Will the service also play music available through Apple MATCH?

A bit late now but yes it does 🙂 Unfortunately only if you subscribe to Apple Music as well I believe. I really think it should be possible to listen to your icloud library (matched/uploaded/purchased tracks) even if you don't subscribe to Apple Music. Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.

You're correct. Apple Music accounts are a different kind of account than the iTunes Match service. Sonos doesn't connect with iTunes Match at all. If you have an Apple Music account, you can listen to your matched tracks through Sonos, found inside My Music. You can't add an iTunes Match only account to Sonos though.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7

A bit late now but yes it does 🙂 Unfortunately only if you subscribe to Apple Music as well I believe. I really think it should be possible to listen to your icloud library (matched/uploaded/purchased tracks) even if you don't subscribe to Apple Music. Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I was left with exactly the same impression from the Sonos invitation as mattyl. As I have been enrolled in the Beta program for many monthly, when I received the message to join the "private beta" now (versus the public beta on December 15) I could not help but think I was getting early access to the beta. I too went through the mudhoney wizard and got stuck at the point when it asks me to confirm my build.

As an aside I also contacted Sonos support about this 5 days ago and have yet to received any sort of response. I assume you are simply ignoring any such cases due to end-users like me being "confused".
Normally beta is Android only. This one would have to be the exception as the Apple version would need to be released.

Thanks for the info Chris, make sense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I believe it is not released until 15 December
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Normally beta is Android only. This one would have to be the exception as the Apple version would need to be released.
Like many, I've been waiting for this since Apple Music was announced. Having signed up for the beta programme I notice the 'manual download link' only shows a SONOS Controller for Android. Is there no IOS controller, or am I missing something?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Part of a private beta is a non disclosure agreement.. As such, any discussion associated with a private beta should be between the beta tester and SONOS staff, not here on the public Community. In the past SONOS has been rather sensitive about "leaks" and one could jeopardize one's standing as a beta tester if responsible for a leak.

simply swap out "Fight Club" and the rule is
The first rule of Sonos Beta is: You do not talk about Sonos Beta. The second rule of Sonos Beta is: You do not talk about Sonos Beta. Third rule of Sonos Beta: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the beta is over. Fourth rule: only two guys to a beta. Fifth rule: one beta at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: no shirts, no shoes. Seventh rule: betas will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first night at Sonos Beta, you have to beta.

😃
so ... I got the invite to the beta ... but my Mac controller and my iOS app advent been / won't up date to the 6.1 required software .... .thoughts?

Part of a private beta is a non disclosure agreement.. As such, any discussion associated with a private beta should be between the beta tester and SONOS staff, not here on the public Community. In the past SONOS has been rather sensitive about "leaks" and one could jeopardize one's standing as a beta tester if responsible for a leak.

Unrelated to any SONOS beta, I have worked with beta software and iOS9 and there are some issues for both the software author and the beta tester that must be dealt with. You should contact the SONOS Beta Team.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Damon77, I have my iTunes music on my NAS which is left on all of the time. If I could access my library through Sonos via iTunes Match it wouldn't need to be left on all of the time consuming power. If done well, it would be possible to rate music through Sonos and for this information and "play history" to be synced back to iTunes. This is something that cannot be done with the library on a NAS approach reading in the iTunes Library.xml file. The library/NAS is read only to Sonos.

Also, I would very much like to be apple to create a playlist in iTunes mixing my matched/uploaded music with Apple Music tracks, and be able to listen to these playlists through Sonos. This is possible with Google Play Music but will it be possible with Apple Music on Sonos? It's possible to create these playlists in iTunes (I already have) but how will they work with Sonos, if at all? Will only the Apple Music tracks be loaded into the queue if I choose such a playlist through the Apple Music service? Fingers crossed it's been well thought out and an awesome implementation.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Fingers crossed jgatie but I'm not particularly hopeful as there has been no mention of it. Apple clearly define them as separate services. I'm looking for a reason to go back to the Apple Ecosystem. My iPad has barely been used in the last 6 months, in favour of Google Play Music with my Samsung phone.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I may be mistaken but isn't the point of iTunes match that you can access your own local music library while being mobile? What's the point of including this in Apple Music on Sonos when you can already share your local library (which is also uploaded to the Apple cloud) with Sonos?
Again maybe I'm missing something...
There has been no official word on what features will/will not be included in the Apple Music release. I'm sure once the public Beta starts we will know more.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
As far as I'm aware, there's been no word from Sonos about implementing iTunes Match as part of their Apple Music implementation. Without being able to access my own music (matched/uploaded) through the service it will feel very half implemented. Without this functionality there is no way I will be switching from Google Play Music, especially as you get that functionality for free with them. If this is not going to be implemented, I hope people haven't been buying Sonos kit with the belief that they will be able to access all of their music in the same way as Google Play. It's a must have in my opinion.

Has there been any official word from Sonos on this matter?
Careful chap, wouldn't want anyone to think you were being rude...

Gee, I thought my intent was quote clear. No thinking needed. 😉
Since when is a beta release the same has a fully functioning release?

Never said it was. Though a public beta is as close as it gets, and the full release is expected by early 2016. Are you going to complain about that when you could join the Beta and get it on Dec. 15? If so . . . I guess you have that right, and if one is prone to receive some type of satisfaction from complaining about something as trivial as that, knock yourself out.