Update News

Android Devices no longer able to join SonosNet

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11324 replies
With Sonos version 10.2, Android devices will be unable to connect directly to the Sonos mesh wireless that is created when you have a Sonos player wired into the network. This network is called SonosNet, and there was a setting within Settings > Advanced Settings which had to be turned on, and allowed you to use Android devices on the Sonos mesh network.

If you’ve used your Android device on the Sonos network, you’ll need to connect to the main house wireless instead to control Sonos using that device.

If you’re in need of extending your home wireless network, you may want to investigate a stronger router, or a household wireless mesh network that can support all of your devices.

162 replies

Badge +2
The WiFi in my house is not reliable ( I have purchased multiple new routers and an extender, to little avail). Therefore, the only reliable way for me to access Sonos is via SonosNet. I still use a Cr200 controller (because the iPhone app was never able to connect to SonosNet). I am now afraid that my old Cr200 controller, which is no longer sold, will become dysfunctional, so I was thinking of getting a cheap android phone as a controller. And then I found this thread letting me know that's no longer a possibility. I have invested a lot in my Sonos system (I have 7 or 8 different pieces, plus two controllers). I am extremely disappointed to hear that I may soon no longer be able to reliably access my system. I have tried the iPhone app, and it has been very unreliable and glitchy in my house -- I suspect it's because it uses wifi. So -- SONOS -- if you no longer make the Cr200, and if you have now discontinued the ability for mobile devices to connect to SonosNet: What do you recommend for loyal users who don't have good wifi?
Badge +1
FWIW, my Sonos "stuff" is in my home office, a separate building. After losing Sonos Net, I bought a very cheap Netgear wifi range Extender. The original signal from my wifi (tp-link) had to pass though a cinderblock wall (though it does have skylights) across an open space, through a stucco and sheet-rocks wall, through another sheet-rock wall to reach the Extender in the main house. Then, the Extender had to push its signal through another sheet-rock wall. But the signal is perfect. Not so bad.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
The Netgear box you connected to the Dining Room player is STP-enabled and has become root bridge, messing up the topology. I'm send a PM.
thanks
The Netgear box you connected to the Dining Room player is STP-enabled and has become root bridge, messing up the topology. I'll send a PM.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
@revdv Something may have been messed up. Click on the Boost in your /support/review, then '/usr/sbin/brctl showstp br0'. What does it show against 'designated root'?

Thanks ratty
Here it is

Boost (RINCON_7828CA7268A401400)

Zone Player Info
Ethernet Ports
/VERSION
/proc/ath_rincon/status
/sbin/ifconfig
/usr/sbin/brctl showstp br0
code:
running /usr/sbin/brctl showstp br0
br0
bridge id 8f00.7828ca7268a4
designated root 8000.10da438566f8
root port 4 path cost 336
max age 20.00 bridge max age 6.00
hello time 2.00 bridge hello time 1.00
forward delay 15.00 bridge forward delay 4.00
ageing time 60.00 gc interval 0.00
hello timer 0.00 tcn timer 0.00
topology change timer 0.00 gc timer 1.70
flags

eth0 (1)
port id 8001 state forwarding
designated root 8000.10da438566f8 path cost 10
designated bridge 8f00.7828ca7268a4 message age timer 0.00
designated port 8001 forward delay timer 0.00
designated cost 336 hold timer 0.35
flags

ath0 (2) - tunnel to B8:E9:37:82:88:AD (remote STP state = forwarding, direct = 3)
port id 8002 state blocking
designated root 8000.10da438566f8 path cost 250
designated bridge 9800.b8e9378288ac message age timer 19.42
designated port 8002 forward delay timer 0.00
designated cost 317 hold timer 0.00
flags

ath0 (3) - tunnel to 00:0E:58:80:32:33 (remote STP state = forwarding, direct = 3)
port id 8003 state blocking
designated root 8000.10da438566f8 path cost 288
designated bridge 9800.000e58803232 message age timer 19.42
designated port 8005 forward delay timer 0.00
designated cost 260 hold timer 0.00
flags

ath0 (4) - tunnel to 00:0E:58:DE:62:99 (remote STP state = forwarding, direct = 1)
port id 8004 state forwarding
designated root 8000.10da438566f8 path cost 326
designated bridge 9000.000e58de6298 message age timer 19.42
designated port 8003 forward delay timer 0.00
designated cost 10 hold timer 0.00
flags

ath0 (5) - tunnel to 00:0E:58:26:CE:E9 (remote STP state = forwarding, direct = 3)
port id 8005 state forwarding
designated root 8000.10da438566f8 path cost 269
designated bridge 8f00.7828ca7268a4 message age timer 0.00
designated port 8005 forward delay timer 0.00
designated cost 336 hold timer 0.35
flags
Are you saying I need to
Since ratty is here, I suggest you take his advice - he knows this subject a lot better.
@revdv Something may have been messed up. Click on the Boost in your /support/review, then '/usr/sbin/brctl showstp br0'. What does it show against 'designated root'?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
With so many units are you not able to connect any one to the router and set up Sonos net - which is necessary for the access point solution as a replacement for the android, which, if you note, was a connection to Sonos net.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
The Boost is connected to the router. Are you saying I need to disconnect everything else except the boost, then restart the Boost (power cycle), then add everything else in? The Access point is connected to the Dining Room connect:amp via ethernet cable.

thanks
D
With so many units are you not able to connect any one to the router and set up Sonos net - which is necessary for the access point solution as a replacement for the android, which, if you note, was a connection to Sonos net.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
One small caveat. After installing an access point as described, check your network matrix to make sure the root bridge is where you expect it to be. Sometimes another Sonos node which is 'wired' (albeit to a third party device) will become root. This is fixable.
Important caveat, that. I found exactly this and had to fix it with help from ratty.
I did not need the access points for Sonos control; my phones were on Wifi, but reading about them here prompted me to change my wireless Airport Express in my bedroom from WiFi extender mode to access point mode after wiring it to the Connect Amp LAN port. Pleasantly surprised to see a noticeably better/consistent browsing experience thereafter, with no adverse impact on Sonos performance. I don't do video streaming; for those that do, there may be a chance of overloading Sonos net this way. But Sonos turned up a hidden benefit for me after many years of use at home, that is quite neat.

I've put an access point in the worst affected area in our house now. Not convinced that this is going to be reliable without sonosnet - I'm partially back to the bad old days of being often unable to browse music, or unable to connect.
I attach my current matrix. The boost is showing as a tertiary node. Is this right?
Can anyone advise, please?

This change is crap!!! The option to connect to sonosnet was really handy!
  • really annoying that it's gone; like so many people, I relied on the sonosnet for control with my android as wifi is so poor in some parts of the house. I'm going to have to go down the access points route as suggested above by ratty (or would investing in a mesh wifi system be better?)

A separate mesh WiFi would perhaps be overkill, and is not without complexity. One or two access points, wired to nearby Sonos units, may suffice.

• it would have been nice if Sonos had alerted us to this change. Mine only stopped functioning 10 July 19.

The change came in 10.2 a couple of months back. The SonosNet announcement was made the same day.

• should I be able to see Sonosnet on my wifi analysis app? I can't.

No. It could have been intermittently visible before, when Android attachment was an option, but you shouldn't see it now.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Couple of comments and questions on this.
  • really annoying that it's gone; like so many people, I relied on the sonosnet for control with my android as wifi is so poor in some parts of the house. I'm going to have to go down the access points route as suggested above by ratty (or would investing in a mesh wifi system be better?)
  • it would have been nice if Sonos had alerted us to this change. Mine only stopped functioning 10 July 19.
  • should I be able to see Sonosnet on my wifi analysis app? I can't.
  • the network matrix seems to be there and everything is connected as expected.
great to see ratty ken griffiths and kumar still helping out.
thanks guys
One small caveat. After installing an access point as described, check your network matrix to make sure the root bridge is where you expect it to be. Sometimes another Sonos node which is 'wired' (albeit to a third party device) will become root. This is fixable.

Important caveat, that. I found exactly this and had to fix it with help from ratty.
I did not need the access points for Sonos control; my phones were on Wifi, but reading about them here prompted me to change my wireless Airport Express in my bedroom from WiFi extender mode to access point mode after wiring it to the Connect Amp LAN port. Pleasantly surprised to see a noticeably better/consistent browsing experience thereafter, with no adverse impact on Sonos performance. I don't do video streaming; for those that do, there may be a chance of overloading Sonos net this way. But Sonos turned up a hidden benefit for me after many years of use at home, that is quite neat.

To replicate that I'm going to have to put in multiple network extenders in the same locations my Sonos devices are located. That's not practical, just from the power socket requirements.You could use one of these, configured as an AP, wired to the same Sonos unit as the power socket is feeding.

I'd need a couple I think, assuming they'll bridge from one to another?
You'd configure them as access points, not extenders. Wired to the nearest Sonos unit they'd rely on the SonosNet mesh for connection back to the router. The only difference from the old arrangement is that the access point is external to the Sonos unit, so in fact a side benefit is it would support any WiFi device including iOS controllers etc., not just Android.

I have three TP-Link TL-WA850RE (the ones without the power socket) doing just that, in the more remote corners of the house. SonosNet provides the connection.
Ah ok, I get it, that could work, thank you.

To replicate that I'm going to have to put in multiple network extenders in the same locations my Sonos devices are located. That's not practical, just from the power socket requirements.You could use one of these, configured as an AP, wired to the same Sonos unit as the power socket is feeding.

I'd need a couple I think, assuming they'll bridge from one to another?
You'd configure them as access points, not extenders. Wired to the nearest Sonos unit they'd rely on the SonosNet mesh for connection back to the router. The only difference from the old arrangement is that the access point is external to the Sonos unit, so in fact a side benefit is it would support any WiFi device including iOS controllers etc., not just Android.

I have three TP-Link TL-WA850RE (the ones without the power socket) doing just that, in the more remote corners of the house. SonosNet provides the connection.

Ah ok, I get it, that could work, thank you.

Hey Ratty, long time! Hope you're well, I'd need a couple I think, assuming they'll bridge from one to another?

You'd configure them as access points, not extenders. Wired to the nearest Sonos unit they'd rely on the SonosNet mesh for connection back to the router. The only difference from the old arrangement is that the access point is external to the Sonos unit, so in fact a side benefit is it would support any WiFi device including iOS controllers etc., not just Androids.

Depending on the house you might be able to start with just one AP, say at the far end, and see how coverage works out.

Hey Ratty, long time! Hope you're well, I'd need a couple I think, assuming they'll bridge from one to another?
I have one Sonos device wired, the rest, as I said, are placed close enough either side of the walls that they can propagate the mesh network successfully (the numbers on the matrix aren't great but they're good enough). The router signal from the living room disappears as soon as you cross the hall into the dining room.

As to the other suggestions, well this is rather the point, previously Sonos gave me everything I needed, we don't have smart TVs outside of the living room, we don't have any Apple devices, the only thing we used were our Android phones, so it was ideal. Now I have to plan a replacement, sort out wiring, installation and, obviously, spend no little amount of money to replace what I had with Sonos yesterday.

I also can't use Powerline extenders, our house is old and has been wired in two stages, resulting in separate circuits from one end of the house to the other, there's no physical connection between them.

I've had Sonos a long time, I haven't been here for a while but I was one of the rabid evangelists for many years. This is the first time I've ever been genuinely disappointed by Sonos.
The LHC, if you have such a wireless unfriendly premises, i was just wondering if you have cabled your Sonos system? If so, then use their Ethernet ports with a wifi access point, or run the speakers off the cabled access point instead.

If no cabling exists, then surely you would be better off having a mesh WiFi system around the place, that would likely be far better than SonosNet these days for your controllers and other devices and if configured correctly, will happily run alongside SonosNet, if that is your preferred Sonos connection method.

I think either way, you will likely be far better off, as it will provide you with WiFi cover for a good many more devices, like smart-lights, plugs, fans, TV's, game stations, mobiles, tablets, computers, laptops etc. It can also be utilised so that your visitors/family/guests can have their own internet access too, wherever they are in your home.

You just need to consider your options, as your wireless issues are normally solvable these days.
To replicate that I'm going to have to put in multiple network extenders in the same locations my Sonos devices are located. That's not practical, just from the power socket requirements.
You could use one of these, configured as an AP, wired to the same Sonos unit as the power socket is feeding.
Well this has only just hit me with the 10.3 update overnight (it was still working fine under 10.2, I don't know why) but this has rendered two of my three rooms unusable. I live in a a big Devon long house, with thick stone walls, so the router in the living room only works in the living room (and it's a brand new, very powerful one, so there's no option to change that). Sonos worked because the mesh network bridged the gaps. To replicate that I'm going to have to put in multiple network extenders in the same locations my Sonos devices are located. That's not practical, just from the power socket requirements.

So, thanks for that. I can't use my Sonos any more, brilliant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
  • Dear melvimbe local superstar.
  • Though I do respect your views, or I would not be replying, you have missed the point entirely. We purchased something with certain attributes because of those very same attributes. They have been removed without our consent. You may, as interestingly you already have, spout legalese about Sonos's software license agreement etc etc, but the facts remain that they have taken away something we implicitly purchased.

I got your point. You don't like this change and expressing your frustration, hopefully to get Sonos to reverse the decision. My point was that Sonos did not need your consent to change functionality. And yes, you did implicitly purchase the functionality, but that implicity is just one of may factors in the decision, not an overriding one. Your leverage as a customer against this change is to make your frustration known, which you've done, and then decide whether you want to continue being a Sonos customer or not.

Ill repeat again that I'm not challenging your frustration about the feature. Just stating how Sonos has more to consider than just yours and other frustration about the matter.

• This is not meant as an insult at all, but you are obviously so over the moon with Sonos that you come across as an apologist for them. 3652 replies...about a simple wireless speaker system? Do you work for them?

Sonos staff are clearly marked as staff members. So no, I'm not. Whether I like the product or not is irrelevant to whether what I've stated is correct or incorrect.

• Anyway, I've said my piece as have many others in this blog. Please Sonos, re-instate this service. You wont be hearing from me again...unless it's a big thank you for doing so. It's all in the name...kiss. You probably missed that subtlety Melvimbe. Maybe in the next life.

I don't typically pay much attention to people's user names or look for hidden acronyms there in. So you're correct that I didn't notice that. I also don't typically try and invalidate others statements and opinions, instead of taking what was stated on it's own merit.

And this isn't a blog.
  • Dear melvimbe local superstar.
  • Though I do respect your views, or I would not be replying, you have missed the point entirely. We purchased something with certain attributes because of those very same attributes. They have been removed without our consent. You may, as interestingly you already have, spout legalese about Sonos's software license agreement etc etc, but the facts remain that they have taken away something we implicitly purchased. This is not meant as an insult at all, but you are obviously so over the moon with Sonos that you come across as an apologist for them. 3652 replies...about a simple wireless speaker system? Do you work for them?
  • Anyway, I've said my piece as have many others in this blog. Please Sonos, re-instate this service. You wont be hearing from me again...unless it's a big thank you for doing so. It's all in the name...kiss. You probably missed that subtlety Melvimbe. Maybe in the next life.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I don't know of a single feature that has been brought back, so the alternate solutions path is almost certainly the only way ahead.Dear Sonos decision makers, there are 270k people who are on this blog, many of whom, including myself, purchased their Sonos systems when it was a simple and very expedient way to access AND CONTROL their music around the house.

Where did you get the 270k number from? Why does the number even matter when it doesn't say anything about the number of people in this forum who use and want this feature to continue?

Any house, no matter the wall thickness. There must be many many thousands more who are not reading these messages but are surely upset that they can no longer access the Sonos net with their phones around their propereties that have wifi router blackspots.

Pretty sure Sonos has data that gives them a pretty good idea of how many people use this feature, and that was factored into the decision. They certainly cannot fully measure the impact it has on customers and how it will it effect their purchasing decision, but I would guess they have a pretty good idea.

You have moved the goalposts and severly diminished the regard which many of us held for your product. Your never ending software updates, adding more and more options, obviously have now reached the point where you need to delete, what to your thoughts, are marginally useful aspects of the original system. The issue here is that the original system is what we purchased. If you feel the need to continually add so many options to the system, then introduce them with new product. NOT MINE!!!!!

While understandable that you purchased the system with the functionality would not change with time, the reality is that other products and the environment that Sonos operates in does change in time, and Sonos must change in order to remain operational at all. As well, Sonos has also told us that they will add new features to older units when possible. So while you're not happy with changes, there are others who are welcoming them as this is what they bought the unit for.

There certainly are product lines out there where instead of expanding/modifying the existing products, they seem discontinue the line and start all over...forcing customers to scrap their investment and start over if the want new products and features. And this certainly is preferable to people who don't want changes (until product support runs out) or are happy to scrap their current speakers. Sonos is taking a different approach and allow customers to maintain their investment while benefiting from new products and features....with mixed results.

May I suggest that you listen to the people on this blog...we are the ones who take the trouble to give you feedback. You have the obligation to listen and return this much missed function. WHICH WE PAID FOR!!! Please act.

I'm sure you won't like it, but the software license agreement doesn't say they are obliged to listen and retain all original features no matter what. What it does say is they can make changes as they see fit at any time. Of course it good business to provide features customers want whenever reasonable and feasible. And I personally agree that the volume of unpopular changes is really straining the customer relationship lately. But it's not a matter of legal responsibility as it is giving customers motivation to consider other options with their future purchase, even when those other options don't provide the features their looking for.