Update News

Android Devices no longer able to join SonosNet

Show first post

162 replies

Now i'll have Sonos Mesh Net Channel 1, Home wifi channel 6 with Mutiple AP's, Sky Q channel 11. My neighbours will love me... and the stupid thing is all but 1 of my units are hardwired ethernet...

Just curious: why so many channels then, if hardwiring dominates?
As long as the masses, not the individuals, demand expansion of the capabilities of the Sonos system, this kind of thing will happen. It's both the benefit and curse of using software driven devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Turning off the radios has been available for many years, it was recently even added under Advanced Room Settings.

Other than that.... Me too.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Now i'll have Sonos Mesh Net Channel 1, Home wifi channel 6 with Mutiple AP's, Sky Q channel 11. My neighbours will love me... and the stupid thing is all but 1 of my units are hardwired ethernet...

Just curious: why so many channels then, if hardwiring dominates?

As upto now I have always been using the sonos net to control the sonos system, I've only recently moved into a house that has allowed me to have everything hardwired as it has cat-6 throughout, Of course I was using my PC and the room settings are not in there, so from my tiny phone screen I've found how to turn off the wifi, so will checkout my mesh network report and start turning wifi off,

I've even worked out how to turn off my Sky-Q wifi in a hidden menu (Why hide it!) so that should help too.

I have my new Tp-Link Extenders and configured as access points, so hopefully I can now reach the locations I need to re-gain control of my Sonos System properly.

Ho hum another Sunday afternoon doing home IT...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
In lack of better words: That sucked..
I have been happily using the SonosNet for browsing and controlling the players for years, and have never had any problems. Now Sonos has no apparent advantages left.
(Same when they bricked old Android devices (pre 4.2) as controllers, Sonos is entertainment, not security equipment..)
Please bring back accessible SonosNet!
No apparent advatages? Well there is still SonosNet. And great sounding speakers. And a huge range of streaming services, multi platform voice control...
Hello Ryan S.,

you don't tell us why this capability was cut. I for myself guess, that it could be the NSA which asked Sonos for all data that's going over the SonosNet. In this case I suggest to modify the Sonos App in the following way: Users can only reach their own equipments or the Sonos update server over their mesh-net - but reach no other web address!

I for myself miss the deleted function very much!

Hansito
Dear Sonospeople,

Thanks to your latest update, which only someone like Einstein can see the reasoning behind, my new sonosboost has been made redundant, by you.
So way to go with this sonossuicide.
But I must admit that yes, we all have thouroughly enjoyed sonosnet for a whole day or two which is something like a sonosblessing I guess. The relieve of total control was so intense but yet so freaking short. Why oh why dear Sonospeople?!
So now my dear Sonospeople you have forced me to do what I should have done in the first place. Our latest new accespoint is great. We all have regained control over our controllers again and now the sonosboost hangs on the wall like a sore appendix.
We all now have forgotten what it's for. And seeing what your latest update has caused over here you too must have totally forgotten that some of your clients actually were happy with it.
Providing access to Android phones via Sonos net was one of the minor features of the Boost. As long as it is still wired to the router and powered up, your Boost is probably doing more for music play stability than you know.
Userlevel 2
Just registering by annoyance at this update also.

I've been trying to figure out why i was back connecting directly to home wifi network for a while now till i discovered this thread. I had chalked it off as being due to an update our router received from our internet provider recently.

Using Sonosnet to extend wifi to our garden in the summer was one of the best features of the system, any time we had a bbq could bring a speaker out with us and easy control of our music and extended wifi coverage. No we need to go back to the house for control.

I realise others have posted solutions but a big feature like this should not just be removed, Sonos at least should be doing more to inform customers of this and give better advise on how to deal with the change.

Any chance this gets reviewed and brought back in the future?
I don't know of a single feature that has been brought back, so the alternate solutions path is almost certainly the only way ahead.
I don't know of a single feature that has been brought back, so the alternate solutions path is almost certainly the only way ahead.

Dear Sonos decision makers, there are 270k people who are on this blog, many of whom, including myself, purchased their Sonos systems when it was a simple and very expedient way to access AND CONTROL their music around the house. Any house, no matter the wall thickness. There must be many many thousands more who are not reading these messages but are surely upset that they can no longer access the Sonos net with their phones around their propereties that have wifi router blackspots. You have moved the goalposts and severly diminished the regard which many of us held for your product. Your never ending software updates, adding more and more options, obviously have now reached the point where you need to delete, what to your thoughts, are marginally useful aspects of the original system. The issue here is that the original system is what we purchased. If you feel the need to continually add so many options to the system, then introduce them with new product. NOT MINE!!!!!
May I suggest that you listen to the people on this blog...we are the ones who take the trouble to give you feedback. You have the obligation to listen and return this much missed function. WHICH WE PAID FOR!!! Please act.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I don't know of a single feature that has been brought back, so the alternate solutions path is almost certainly the only way ahead.Dear Sonos decision makers, there are 270k people who are on this blog, many of whom, including myself, purchased their Sonos systems when it was a simple and very expedient way to access AND CONTROL their music around the house.

Where did you get the 270k number from? Why does the number even matter when it doesn't say anything about the number of people in this forum who use and want this feature to continue?

Any house, no matter the wall thickness. There must be many many thousands more who are not reading these messages but are surely upset that they can no longer access the Sonos net with their phones around their propereties that have wifi router blackspots.

Pretty sure Sonos has data that gives them a pretty good idea of how many people use this feature, and that was factored into the decision. They certainly cannot fully measure the impact it has on customers and how it will it effect their purchasing decision, but I would guess they have a pretty good idea.

You have moved the goalposts and severly diminished the regard which many of us held for your product. Your never ending software updates, adding more and more options, obviously have now reached the point where you need to delete, what to your thoughts, are marginally useful aspects of the original system. The issue here is that the original system is what we purchased. If you feel the need to continually add so many options to the system, then introduce them with new product. NOT MINE!!!!!

While understandable that you purchased the system with the functionality would not change with time, the reality is that other products and the environment that Sonos operates in does change in time, and Sonos must change in order to remain operational at all. As well, Sonos has also told us that they will add new features to older units when possible. So while you're not happy with changes, there are others who are welcoming them as this is what they bought the unit for.

There certainly are product lines out there where instead of expanding/modifying the existing products, they seem discontinue the line and start all over...forcing customers to scrap their investment and start over if the want new products and features. And this certainly is preferable to people who don't want changes (until product support runs out) or are happy to scrap their current speakers. Sonos is taking a different approach and allow customers to maintain their investment while benefiting from new products and features....with mixed results.

May I suggest that you listen to the people on this blog...we are the ones who take the trouble to give you feedback. You have the obligation to listen and return this much missed function. WHICH WE PAID FOR!!! Please act.

I'm sure you won't like it, but the software license agreement doesn't say they are obliged to listen and retain all original features no matter what. What it does say is they can make changes as they see fit at any time. Of course it good business to provide features customers want whenever reasonable and feasible. And I personally agree that the volume of unpopular changes is really straining the customer relationship lately. But it's not a matter of legal responsibility as it is giving customers motivation to consider other options with their future purchase, even when those other options don't provide the features their looking for.
  • Dear melvimbe local superstar.
  • Though I do respect your views, or I would not be replying, you have missed the point entirely. We purchased something with certain attributes because of those very same attributes. They have been removed without our consent. You may, as interestingly you already have, spout legalese about Sonos's software license agreement etc etc, but the facts remain that they have taken away something we implicitly purchased. This is not meant as an insult at all, but you are obviously so over the moon with Sonos that you come across as an apologist for them. 3652 replies...about a simple wireless speaker system? Do you work for them?
  • Anyway, I've said my piece as have many others in this blog. Please Sonos, re-instate this service. You wont be hearing from me again...unless it's a big thank you for doing so. It's all in the name...kiss. You probably missed that subtlety Melvimbe. Maybe in the next life.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
  • Dear melvimbe local superstar.
  • Though I do respect your views, or I would not be replying, you have missed the point entirely. We purchased something with certain attributes because of those very same attributes. They have been removed without our consent. You may, as interestingly you already have, spout legalese about Sonos's software license agreement etc etc, but the facts remain that they have taken away something we implicitly purchased.

I got your point. You don't like this change and expressing your frustration, hopefully to get Sonos to reverse the decision. My point was that Sonos did not need your consent to change functionality. And yes, you did implicitly purchase the functionality, but that implicity is just one of may factors in the decision, not an overriding one. Your leverage as a customer against this change is to make your frustration known, which you've done, and then decide whether you want to continue being a Sonos customer or not.

Ill repeat again that I'm not challenging your frustration about the feature. Just stating how Sonos has more to consider than just yours and other frustration about the matter.

• This is not meant as an insult at all, but you are obviously so over the moon with Sonos that you come across as an apologist for them. 3652 replies...about a simple wireless speaker system? Do you work for them?

Sonos staff are clearly marked as staff members. So no, I'm not. Whether I like the product or not is irrelevant to whether what I've stated is correct or incorrect.

• Anyway, I've said my piece as have many others in this blog. Please Sonos, re-instate this service. You wont be hearing from me again...unless it's a big thank you for doing so. It's all in the name...kiss. You probably missed that subtlety Melvimbe. Maybe in the next life.

I don't typically pay much attention to people's user names or look for hidden acronyms there in. So you're correct that I didn't notice that. I also don't typically try and invalidate others statements and opinions, instead of taking what was stated on it's own merit.

And this isn't a blog.
Well this has only just hit me with the 10.3 update overnight (it was still working fine under 10.2, I don't know why) but this has rendered two of my three rooms unusable. I live in a a big Devon long house, with thick stone walls, so the router in the living room only works in the living room (and it's a brand new, very powerful one, so there's no option to change that). Sonos worked because the mesh network bridged the gaps. To replicate that I'm going to have to put in multiple network extenders in the same locations my Sonos devices are located. That's not practical, just from the power socket requirements.

So, thanks for that. I can't use my Sonos any more, brilliant.
To replicate that I'm going to have to put in multiple network extenders in the same locations my Sonos devices are located. That's not practical, just from the power socket requirements.
You could use one of these, configured as an AP, wired to the same Sonos unit as the power socket is feeding.
The LHC, if you have such a wireless unfriendly premises, i was just wondering if you have cabled your Sonos system? If so, then use their Ethernet ports with a wifi access point, or run the speakers off the cabled access point instead.

If no cabling exists, then surely you would be better off having a mesh WiFi system around the place, that would likely be far better than SonosNet these days for your controllers and other devices and if configured correctly, will happily run alongside SonosNet, if that is your preferred Sonos connection method.

I think either way, you will likely be far better off, as it will provide you with WiFi cover for a good many more devices, like smart-lights, plugs, fans, TV's, game stations, mobiles, tablets, computers, laptops etc. It can also be utilised so that your visitors/family/guests can have their own internet access too, wherever they are in your home.

You just need to consider your options, as your wireless issues are normally solvable these days.
I have one Sonos device wired, the rest, as I said, are placed close enough either side of the walls that they can propagate the mesh network successfully (the numbers on the matrix aren't great but they're good enough). The router signal from the living room disappears as soon as you cross the hall into the dining room.

As to the other suggestions, well this is rather the point, previously Sonos gave me everything I needed, we don't have smart TVs outside of the living room, we don't have any Apple devices, the only thing we used were our Android phones, so it was ideal. Now I have to plan a replacement, sort out wiring, installation and, obviously, spend no little amount of money to replace what I had with Sonos yesterday.

I also can't use Powerline extenders, our house is old and has been wired in two stages, resulting in separate circuits from one end of the house to the other, there's no physical connection between them.

I've had Sonos a long time, I haven't been here for a while but I was one of the rabid evangelists for many years. This is the first time I've ever been genuinely disappointed by Sonos.

To replicate that I'm going to have to put in multiple network extenders in the same locations my Sonos devices are located. That's not practical, just from the power socket requirements.You could use one of these, configured as an AP, wired to the same Sonos unit as the power socket is feeding.

Hey Ratty, long time! Hope you're well, I'd need a couple I think, assuming they'll bridge from one to another?

To replicate that I'm going to have to put in multiple network extenders in the same locations my Sonos devices are located. That's not practical, just from the power socket requirements.You could use one of these, configured as an AP, wired to the same Sonos unit as the power socket is feeding.
Hey Ratty, long time! Hope you're well, I'd need a couple I think, assuming they'll bridge from one to another?

You'd configure them as access points, not extenders. Wired to the nearest Sonos unit they'd rely on the SonosNet mesh for connection back to the router. The only difference from the old arrangement is that the access point is external to the Sonos unit, so in fact a side benefit is it would support any WiFi device including iOS controllers etc., not just Androids.

Depending on the house you might be able to start with just one AP, say at the far end, and see how coverage works out.

I have three TP-Link TL-WA850RE (the ones without the power socket) doing just that, in the more remote corners of the house. SonosNet provides the connection.

I'd need a couple I think, assuming they'll bridge from one to another?
You'd configure them as access points, not extenders. Wired to the nearest Sonos unit they'd rely on the SonosNet mesh for connection back to the router. The only difference from the old arrangement is that the access point is external to the Sonos unit, so in fact a side benefit is it would support any WiFi device including iOS controllers etc., not just Android.

I have three TP-Link TL-WA850RE (the ones without the power socket) doing just that, in the more remote corners of the house. SonosNet provides the connection.

Ah ok, I get it, that could work, thank you.

I'd need a couple I think, assuming they'll bridge from one to another?
You'd configure them as access points, not extenders. Wired to the nearest Sonos unit they'd rely on the SonosNet mesh for connection back to the router. The only difference from the old arrangement is that the access point is external to the Sonos unit, so in fact a side benefit is it would support any WiFi device including iOS controllers etc., not just Android.

Ah ok, I get it, that could work, thank you.

One small caveat. After installing an access point as described, check your network matrix to make sure the root bridge is where you expect it to be. Sometimes another Sonos node which is 'wired' (albeit to a third party device) will become root. This is fixable.
One small caveat. After installing an access point as described, check your network matrix to make sure the root bridge is where you expect it to be. Sometimes another Sonos node which is 'wired' (albeit to a third party device) will become root. This is fixable.

Important caveat, that. I found exactly this and had to fix it with help from ratty.
I did not need the access points for Sonos control; my phones were on Wifi, but reading about them here prompted me to change my wireless Airport Express in my bedroom from WiFi extender mode to access point mode after wiring it to the Connect Amp LAN port. Pleasantly surprised to see a noticeably better/consistent browsing experience thereafter, with no adverse impact on Sonos performance. I don't do video streaming; for those that do, there may be a chance of overloading Sonos net this way. But Sonos turned up a hidden benefit for me after many years of use at home, that is quite neat.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Couple of comments and questions on this.
  • really annoying that it's gone; like so many people, I relied on the sonosnet for control with my android as wifi is so poor in some parts of the house. I'm going to have to go down the access points route as suggested above by ratty (or would investing in a mesh wifi system be better?)
  • it would have been nice if Sonos had alerted us to this change. Mine only stopped functioning 10 July 19.
  • should I be able to see Sonosnet on my wifi analysis app? I can't.
  • the network matrix seems to be there and everything is connected as expected.
great to see ratty ken griffiths and kumar still helping out.
thanks guys