Update News

Android Devices no longer able to join SonosNet

Show first post

136 replies

So....Im meant to buy a wireless extender and plug it into, say a zone bridge within my system. Not being a networking engineer, I have questions. Do I plug it into a zone bridge that is halfway between the house and the summer house, so that it can wirelessly reach both? Surely plugging an extender into a Sonos component in the house will not "boost" the house wifi to the summer house? Likewise, plugging a wifi extender into the Sonos amp in the summer house will not reach the house wireless router.
If my Android cannot access Sonos-net anyway, how will my Android then be able to control the summer house Sonos, when I am IN the summer house and out of range of my home wifi??
Please give me the actual facts on how this is going to work, what I need to do, how I need to connect my android phone and to what and where I need to stick the wireless router (as it were!).
Thanks in anticipation......

You'd simply wire a WiFi access point (AP) to the Ethernet port on the Sonos unit in the summer house. The phone would talk to the AP over its local WiFi. The AP connects to the Sonos unit over Ethernet. The summer house Sonos presumably connects directly to the rest of the system in the main house via SonosNet. In essence the AP's connection back to the router would piggyback on the SonosNet connection.

Note that this is an access point, not a wireless extender. That said, many extenders can function as access points (and vice versa), depending on how they're configured. Check before you buy.
Many thanks Kumar.....so plugging in any cheap wireless extender to the amp in the Summer House will create another local wireless network which i can log into with my phone and use the android controller? Is that correct? Wont the new extender have a different address or whatever it is and so be on a different wireless network to the rest of the house wifi?
The signal to the summer house presumably reaches from the house via the 2 zone bridges and a Sonos z type amplifier that "leapfrog" the signal down the garden?

The signal to the summer house presumably reaches from the house via the 2 zone bridges and a Sonos z type amplifier that "leapfrog" the signal down the garden?

That tunnel of Sonosnet in reverse will connect your phone/ wireless access point to the home WiFi.
As to which wireless extender and your other questions, scrolling back on this thread to some of my conversations on the subject should give you answers. Anything different or more specific, I suggest asking the members who were in conversation with me, via private messages. They know this subject in more depth than I.
Thank you too Ratty. So a wifi access point plugged into the z series amp in the summer house. Then link my phone to that AP and the android app then becomes fully functional again in the summer house?
I also have another z type amp in a building next door - call it summer house 2. Would i need to put another AP in this too? The two z amps are only 15 ft apart with just two wooden walls separating them. Would 1 AP in one amp work them both?
Sorry for asking such simple questions of you!
One AP will probably serve both spaces; worth an attempt, for sure before getting two.
Thank you too Ratty. So a wifi access point plugged into the z series amp in the summer house. Then link my phone to that AP and the android app then becomes fully functional again in the summer house?
I also have another z type amp in a building next door - call it summer house 2. Would i need to put another AP in this too? The two z amps are only 15 ft apart with just two wooden walls separating them. Would 1 AP in one amp work them both?

To make life simple you probably want to configure the AP to have the same WiFi name/password as your house router. That way your phone would simply flip to the AP when in the summer house. You'd not have to explicitly link the phone to the AP. It would just work.

And I agree with Kumar. Just add one AP for now. It should penetrate to the next room without problem.
Thanks ever so much both......ill give it a try. I've spent that much on Sonos stuff its certainly worth a go!
TP Link TL-WA801ND
Im thinking of one of these? Seems cheap and cheerful and affordable! Ive seen the price of some if these things!!
TP Link TL-WA801ND
Im thinking of one of these? Seems cheap and cheerful and affordable! Ive seen the price of some if these things!!

That would do the job, if somewhat ostentatiously. Cheaper and more discreet is the TL-WA850RE.

I also found a work around its called Consumer Law. I have a situation as above, I purchased the sonos specifically because I could control the device directly wirelessly with my android phone. I paid the stupidly high premium for this functionality which has been removed and the product I purchased is no longer fit for the purpose for which I purchased it for. Thus I will be returning to my point of sale to get a full refund for my Play 5. Do not for a minute buy these excuses and lies the bottom line is this feature could have remained but been disabled by default but still with the option to use it. It would have taken a matter of a few extra minutes worth of dev time to ensure you didn't give the middle finger to part of your customer base. And I guess this should be a lesson on apple focused products, they are products for people with too much money to waste. This update removes what little extra value this over priced non bluetooth supporting lump has for an android user, and replaces it with the suggestion to upgrade your home network at further cost. No thanks!You do realise that you can still use your Android phone as a controller, and that the feature that has been removed was never available to iOS users on this 'Apple-focussed product'?

I have the impression you may have misunderstood.

Let me make it plainly clear for you. I have a shed on my property that is hard wired with ethernet cables, but does not have any wifi coverage. I purchased this stupid expensive lump because the sales rep told me that the android app allowed you to connect directly to the speaker. Now you can argue all you like it wasn't an advertised feature but fact of the matter is it was sold to me with the sales persons touting that, it was infact this particular feature that made this unit fit for the purpose which I purchase it for. Pay key attention to this part Fit for Purpose, now if I'm not claiming I'm going to take sonos to court or anything stupid like that cause that is a futile exercise for such a small item, what I'm suggesting to others in this situation is take this product back to the place of purchase they surely care more about you as a customer than sonos does. Also anyone new here please don't be intimidated by the chorus of Sonos shills or fan boys, you have the right to be upset about this and the right not to be belittled by other users who are happy try and take you down a peg for their own gratification. If you were sold this unit by a sales person and you decided to buy it because it was at the time of purchase able to be controlled directly from your android devices wifi and you would not have purchased it if not for this fact, I strongly urge you to read about Fit for Purpose items in your local Consumer Laws. Last of all don't take Sonos word on this talk to your point of purchase after reading relevant local consumer Law.
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/use-sonosnet-as-wifi-repeater-mesh-for-laptops-tablets-mobile-devices-5804059

But its ok it was a "hidden" feature not advertised right?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/use-sonosnet-as-wifi-repeater-mesh-for-laptops-tablets-mobile-devices-5804059

But its ok it was a "hidden" feature not advertised right?

Yeah "hidden" and "never advertised". This feature was the FOTM back in the day, people have short or selective memories. From the 3.7 release notes:

https://www.sonos.com/en-ca/software/release/3-7

[h4]BETTER WIRELESS FOR ANDROID DEVICES[/h4]

Android smartphones and tablets can now use the SonosNet wireless mesh network to connect to Sonos and the Internet. With SonosNet you can:

• Enjoy superior wireless range and coverage for your Android devices at home instead of relying on your home WiFi network
  • Get to the music faster with improved wireless performance on your Android devices
-------

I've repurposed a travel router as an AP in place of this feature, but still not impressed with the removal.
@mercurymatt. Yes you have the right to return the Sonos speaker. I think you are in a tiny minority having bought for this feature but so be it
I also find this very frustrating. I live in a block of flats with multiple routers/cordless phones/sources of interference that I have no control over. Being able to switch my router broadcasting off and being able to connect to sonosnet helped with this a great deal. I will now have to struggle with an AP point plugged into the distant ZP and suffer the constant dropping etc. I had before.

I was sold on Sonos 10years ago, with the promise of the product 'constantly improving'.

3 big issues I have with this statement.

My original Sonos controller, the CR100 is no longer supported. Now a paper weight. This was a premium device and still looked and preformed as new. Now obsolete.

Android app when 1st launched was great for a number of years. Then the interface was refreshed. The refresh made the complete experience a nightmare. Options were hidden away/everything required additional clicks from an additional menu from another layered menu and the interface was pretty much unusable/competely non intuitive. From being perfect to unusable in 1 update. In my opinion the app is still not as good as it waspre this update dispite the additional functionallity that's been included now. Much of which I have no use or care for.

Removal of the connection to sonosnet feature.
I'm so disappointed by this, it might be the nail in the coffin for my system. I'm most peeved off there was no warning. At least when the CR100 was removed there was a clear message before updating the software. This time I had no opportunity to not accept the update.

I will have to reconfigure an access point and have another electrical device switched on 24/7.

Not happy about this Sonos....not happy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you were sold this unit by a sales person and you decided to buy it because it was at the time of purchase able to be controlled directly from your android devices wifi and you would not have purchased it if not for this fact, I strongly urge you to read about Fit for Purpose items in your local Consumer Laws. Last of all don't take Sonos word on this talk to your point of purchase after reading relevant local consumer Law.

So Fit for Purpose laws allow you to return a product to a vendor even after it's out of warranty period when it no longer fits the purpose you bought it for? So your device just failed out right, no longer works at all, you would be able to return it? Can you expect a full return of your money or a pro rated based on some sort of product life assumption?

I get what you're saying regarding return a product to a vendor when they are not obligated to accept the return. Vendors will often do this just to retrain you as a customer. I also see how a vendor needs to honor it's stated return policy. I see how you should be reimbursed when a product can no longer be used the way it was intended to be used while still under warranty. I'm not sure how this works when it's no longer under warranty.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Right so after the loss of android and now having a garage zone I can no longer use I took the advice from here and bought a TP link TL-WA860RE Range extender with access point mode.
After a bit of faffing managed to be able to control the garage zone by plugging an ethernet cable between the Play 2 in garage and the range extender (the garage zone did disappear for a while but on resetting the system in reappeared)…...but after connecting my phone to the TP link wifi and coming back into the house and reconnecting to the house wifi the house wifi no longer finds the sonos. Tried with my amazon fire which is a dedicated controller in the kitchen (thanks again Sonos for bricking my CR100's !!), which was still connecting fine but as soon as I took it out of the garage to connect to the TP link and bought it back into the house this now no longer connects to sonos via the house's wifi...what the hell is going on. I now have an unusable Sonos system all for trying to remedy problems Sonos created...I hope to god you are watching this thread SONOS and taking note and DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Sorry for the rant but as you can see I've had it...any suggestions on how to restore the status quo would be gratefully received..is it worth contacting sonos, I just don't have time to spend hours troubleshooting and just want my sonos system that I have had for 13 years to work as it did when I bought it
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@yakboy It sounds like you have the same issue that Kumar was talking about a page back. I believe you should look to configure your TP link TL-WA860RE as an Access Point and not an Extender. I'm not skilled in this area at all, but it looks like Ratty was able to help Kumar on this. You might want to reach out to him through a direct message for assistance if he doesn't see this thread.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thanks for the reply Danny,
When I have some time will do as you say. I am not generally a moaner or angry person but this last week has tested my patience severely.
@yakboy Is the TL-WA860RE explicitly configured for access point mode? The symptoms suggest it could be in its standard extender mode, in which case the garage unit will be connecting back to the rest of the system via a roundabout WiFi path.
Just registering my discontent with the inability to connect my Android device (Kindle Fire) to Sonosnet, which I had been using as a controller for my outdoor speakers. I live in a stucco house and have good Wi-Fi indoors but poor coverage outdoors. I have a Connect Amp mounted inside the house on the rear wall with wired speakers outside on the deck. Using the Fire on Sonosnet, I could easily control the system when outside - not so well with any device connected to my Wi-Fi.

So, I guess I'll have to go to a mesh Wi-Fi setup, but if I do, why even bother with the Boost I have?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
With a mesh WiFi setup your Boost is going to be a real problem avoider, all the stuff you got it for in the first place plus all the WiFi mesh issues you'll be adding.
What a silly thing to do. It totally undermines one of the best features of Sonos.

I have a single router at one end of the house and 12 Sonos devices. My Android can (excuse me, could) connect to the mesh net with no signal loss, and now when I'm in my home office... Nothing. Why do this? It makes no sense. No argument can support removing something so simple that needs no support. You're degrading the service without any need. Please revert this change.
What a silly thing to do. It totally undermines one of the best features of Sonos.

I have a single router at one end of the house and 12 Sonos devices. My Android can (excuse me, could) connect to the mesh net with no signal loss, and now when I'm in my home office... Nothing. Why do this? It makes no sense. No argument can support removing something so simple that needs no support. You're degrading the service without any need. Please revert this change.

Why do this? Because the older Sonos units are very limited in memory and processor power, and in order to add features that will be used by a large portion of the market (i.e. Google Assistant), they had to remove features that were not used as much. The other option would be to retire the older units, like what they did with the CR100. That thread hit 130 pages. This one is on 5.
What a crock! Windbag of an answer out of support after resetting controllers, restarting equipment, and searching for a reason things no longer work. I used to recommend Sonos but, typical stuff. Too bad
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Yep I've been reinstalling my android controllers trying to get them to connect as I could no longer control the system...

So yet again another downgrade of a perfectly good working system!

Obsolete my CR100's that connected to Sonos Net.
Remove setup from the best place to do setup... my PC.
Remove the connection of controllers to actually control the system.

So to fix the downgrade I have to now buy more equipment that will be permanently Powered, and permanently flooding my house with yet more Radio signals.

Now i'll have Sonos Mesh Net Channel 1, Home wifi channel 6 with Mutiple AP's, Sky Q channel 11. My neighbours will love me... and the stupid thing is all but 1 of my units are hardwired ethernet... How about Sonos actually bring out something useful... turn off Sonosnet broadcast from selected units, as its of little use to me now!

Scared what "Upgrade" is coming next frankly...

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings