Update News

Android Devices no longer able to join SonosNet

Show first post

162 replies

Userlevel 1

"Buy a new router"- honestly, what kind of an answer is this? Next time something doesn't work we'll be told to "buy an iPhone"!Honestly - Sonos is not in charge of improving your home network, that's your own responsibility.

That is absolutely true, but... One of the reasons I chose sonos was because they offered this feature, and now it's gone. Of course users will be heavily affected and therefor also a bit angry

"Buy a new router"- honestly, what kind of an answer is this? Next time something doesn't work we'll be told to "buy an iPhone"!Honestly - Sonos is not in charge of improving your home network, that's your own responsibility.
That is absolutely true, but... One of the reasons I chose sonos was because they offered this feature, and now it's gone. Of course users will be heavily affected and therefor also a bit angry

And how did you know at this point that this feature even exists for it has never been advertised? I doubt that a sales person at Sonos would use it as a sales argument, and with retail salespeople most likely not being aware of it.
"A very cheap accesspoint" I'd need several of them 6-7 (big house), and if relatively few user used it, then what would be the problem of keeping the feature as is. What's the benefit of removing it??
See Ryan’s post... he briefly explains why this is happening...

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/android-devices-no-longer-able-to-join-sonosnet-6825471/index2.html#post16335331

As you have a big house then perhaps look at a wireless mesh home network instead... that would be the sensible approach. Look at systems where you can configure the hubs to use the same WiFi channels.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
What's the benefit of removing it??
No user benefits from this decision, most probably the only one benefitting is Sonos. Just as their recent decision to remove all management facilities from the desktop controller: not a single user befitted from this decision, but Sonos probably did. For Sonos user satisfaction no longer comes first these days.

How did you know at this point that the feature even exists? It has never been advertised.
if relatively few user used it, then what would be the problem of keeping the feature as is. What's the benefit of removing it??
You might like to read this thread from the top. Ryan has commented that:
"We’re always evaluating how we can deliver the best listening experience to everyone using Sonos. This involves making regular changes to our platform that allow for new features and capabilities to be added over time."

The earliest Sonos players have extremely limited memory. To avoid creating 'second class citizens' where future features only benefit the later players something has to give somewhere. Such players have already had to be left behind in terms of Airplay support.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

How did you know at this point that the feature even exists? It has never been advertised.

You are either mistaken or lie on purpose?

This was a feature brought in around the time they stopped selling the cr200 - which if you don't get the coincidence, the cr200 connected directly to sonosnet. So this feature allowed people to add players and controllers without WiFi as they had from with the original Sonos hardware controls which people had been doing since 2005.

So yes this was an advertised feature. Insructions on how to use this have been in the official Sonos Android Controller user manual for some time. I have a manual from 2015 and it's on the first page FFS.
I should start a new thread, I will if this gets drawn out:
Now that I have wired the remote Connect Amp to the AEX access point, that CA has become the root bridge automatically. How do I force the root bridge role back to the centrally located play 1 unit that is wired to the main router, that was the root bridge till now, being the only wired to network unit? Is there any need/advantage in doing so?
I should start a new thread, I will if this gets drawn out:
Now that I have wired the remote Connect Amp to the AEX access point, that CA has become the root bridge automatically. How do I force the root bridge role back to the centrally located play 1 unit that is wired to the main router, that was the root bridge till now, being the only wired to network unit? Is there any need/advantage in doing so?

I'll send you a private message.
You are either mistaken or lie on purpose?
This was a feature brought in around the time they stopped selling the cr200 - which if you don't get the coincidence, the cr200 connected directly to sonosnet. So this feature allowed people to add players and controllers without WiFi as they had from with the original Sonos hardware controls which people had been doing since 2005.

So yes this was an advertised feature. Insructions on how to use this have been in the official Sonos Android Controller user manual for some time. I have a manual from 2015 and it's on the first page FFS.

I'm aware that you like to steer things up but to my knowledge this features was never been used as a sales argument by salespeople at Sonos. And retail salespeople most certainly didn't even know that this feature exists. So as a customer you would had to find it out for yourself - after the purchase, most likely per chance by browsing through the Android app.

So as a customer you would had to find it out for yourself - after the purchase, most likely per chance by browsing through the Android app.

It is quite possible that there are some customers that bought after browsing these boards. Rare examples, but very possible.
Badge

So as a customer you would had to find it out for yourself - after the purchase, most likely per chance by browsing through the Android app.
It is quite possible that there are some customers that bought after browsing these boards. Rare examples, but very possible.

Interestingly, I was advised by Sonos Support to use this facility when I had a problem a few years ago.....!!!
Peter, the feature was certainly useful, no one is arguing that it wasn't. And having to spend on kit to replicate it, sucks. But as as has been said, it seems that this is the price all have to pay to have the older units stay afloat in the same seas that the new ones are pushing towards.

Interestingly, I was advised by Sonos Support to use this facility when I had a problem a few years ago.....!!!

After the purchase, not prior to it I guess.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

After the purchase, not prior to it I guess.

Checking receipts before making a complaint about deleted features isn't necessary, nor does date of purchase take away from the complaint in any way.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
As an android user who has been using Sonosnet for years and specifically bought a boost so I could use and control my Sonos in my garage to say I am upset is an understatement . First my dedicated controllers are bricked so I adapted to using my phone by using the dedicated Sonos network, now this has been taken off me I can no longer control my garage zone unless I go back into the house and change it there. Could Sonos explain what I am to do next and why after 13 years of support of Sonos products what area of functionality will be taken off us next? I am not being facicious but would like an honest answer on what I am to expect and how I am expected to restore a basic level of functionality back to my system.
As explained in this thread, you could buy a cheap access point and wire it to your Sonos speaker. It's a nuisance but there is an easy solution.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I just trawled this and other threads and that's obviously the way to go. Thanks for the reply. Sonos used to be the gift that kept on giving in terms of functionality but now seems to be the polar opposite.
Badge +1
My sonos is in an entirely separate building. My first thought was to take my six speakers, my portable and various bridges etc., and dump them on Sonos' front door. But... I found a work around.
I also found a work around its called Consumer Law. I have a situation as above, I purchased the sonos specifically because I could control the device directly wirelessly with my android phone. I paid the stupidly high premium for this functionality which has been removed and the product I purchased is no longer fit for the purpose for which I purchased it for. Thus I will be returning to my point of sale to get a full refund for my Play 5. Do not for a minute buy these excuses and lies the bottom line is this feature could have remained but been disabled by default but still with the option to use it. It would have taken a matter of a few extra minutes worth of dev time to ensure you didn't give the middle finger to part of your customer base. And I guess this should be a lesson on apple focused products, they are products for people with too much money to waste. This update removes what little extra value this over priced non bluetooth supporting lump has for an android user, and replaces it with the suggestion to upgrade your home network at further cost. No thanks!
Consumer Law. I have a situation as above, I purchased the sonos specifically because I could control the device directly wirelessly with my android phone. I paid the stupidly high premium for this functionality
The courts would ask to see evidence of Sonos promoting the sale of the product by quoting this feature for you to have any legal footing of claiming a refund.
By all accounts, no such evidence that will stand in a court of law exists.
Further, your use of Sonos almost certainly has you signing up to terms and conditions that allow Sonos to make the kind of changes to their products like the deletion of this feature.
I am not saying anything here other than questioning the legality of any claims on Sonos.
I also found a work around its called Consumer Law. I have a situation as above, I purchased the sonos specifically because I could control the device directly wirelessly with my android phone. I paid the stupidly high premium for this functionality which has been removed and the product I purchased is no longer fit for the purpose for which I purchased it for. Thus I will be returning to my point of sale to get a full refund for my Play 5. Do not for a minute buy these excuses and lies the bottom line is this feature could have remained but been disabled by default but still with the option to use it. It would have taken a matter of a few extra minutes worth of dev time to ensure you didn't give the middle finger to part of your customer base. And I guess this should be a lesson on apple focused products, they are products for people with too much money to waste. This update removes what little extra value this over priced non bluetooth supporting lump has for an android user, and replaces it with the suggestion to upgrade your home network at further cost. No thanks!
You do realise that you can still use your Android phone as a controller, and that the feature that has been removed was never available to iOS users on this 'Apple-focussed product'?

I have the impression you may have misunderstood.

You agreed to a license to use the software, along with the stipulation that it is subject to change. You simply have no standing in the law, consumer or otherwise.
So....Im meant to buy a wireless extender and plug it into, say a zone bridge within my system. Not being a networking engineer, I have questions. Do I plug it into a zone bridge that is halfway between the house and the summer house, so that it can wirelessly reach both? Surely plugging an extender into a Sonos component in the house will not "boost" the house wifi to the summer house? Likewise, plugging a wifi extender into the Sonos amp in the summer house will not reach the house wireless router.
If my Android cannot access Sonos-net anyway, how will my Android then be able to control the summer house Sonos, when I am IN the summer house and out of range of my home wifi??
Please give me the actual facts on how this is going to work, what I need to do, how I need to connect my android phone and to what and where I need to stick the wireless router (as it were!).
Thanks in anticipation......

If my Android cannot access Sonos-net anyway, how will my Android then be able to control the summer house Sonos, when I am IN the summer house and out of range of my home wifi??

IF the summer house Sonos works wirelessly, it IS getting a signal from upstream of it, from your home. Connecting a WiFi access point to the LAN port on it, will allow the Android to connect to the access point via WiFi, and then back via Sonos net, to your home WiFi router.