Update News

Android Devices no longer able to join SonosNet

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

162 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi. I used to control the sonos Play3 in my bedroom through SonosNet because the wifi signal in my bedroom is very low.
Now I cant control the Play3.
What am I supposed to do?
(please any solution that does not involve buying a new router/repeater)

Thank you.
Userlevel 1
Also, why this feature was removed? It was great for me.
Why cant you just leave the user decide to enable it?
Well this has only just hit me with the 10.3 update overnight (it was still working fine under 10.2, I don't know why) but this has rendered two of my three rooms unusable. I live in a a big Devon long house, with thick stone walls, so the router in the living room only works in the living room (and it's a brand new, very powerful one, so there's no option to change that). Sonos worked because the mesh network bridged the gaps. To replicate that I'm going to have to put in multiple network extenders in the same locations my Sonos devices are located. That's not practical, just from the power socket requirements.

So, thanks for that. I can't use my Sonos any more, brilliant.
Frankly, I do not know how to address the problem
@Ken_Griffiths has already suggested how here. In fact there are even cheaper access points which could be used. Just wire one to the nearest Sonos device. It will then use SonosNet for its network connection.

What's more, such a third party AP would also cater for iOS devices and, for example, iPort xPRESS keypads.

Whilst one can understand users' grievances Sonos presumably didn't remove Android connecitvity without careful consideration. Compared to some other functionality withdrawals this is very simple to deal with.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Couple of comments and questions on this.
  • really annoying that it's gone; like so many people, I relied on the sonosnet for control with my android as wifi is so poor in some parts of the house. I'm going to have to go down the access points route as suggested above by ratty (or would investing in a mesh wifi system be better?)
  • it would have been nice if Sonos had alerted us to this change. Mine only stopped functioning 10 July 19.
  • should I be able to see Sonosnet on my wifi analysis app? I can't.
  • the network matrix seems to be there and everything is connected as expected.
great to see ratty ken griffiths and kumar still helping out.
thanks guys

At first I was afraid this meant I couldn't use my Android device to control anything on the Sonosnet. Which wouldn't be cool
Stay tuned for 10.3, maybe this will actually happen.

Can you honestly think of any possible reason why Sonos would do that, given that half of their customers use android for control?

This change, applied by Sonos without any prior notification, gives me a major headache in how to reconfigure my non-Sonos network. As Stanley_4 says, I too would have blocked the update until I had time to consider how to work around this problem now imposed. I do not see any advice from Sonos on how to deal with this situation.

This is a good point, and Sonos has given forewarning of similar changes in the past. I'd speculate that this change is related to the Google integration in some way, and management did not want to postpone the update.

Sonos - please would you comment on how you assessed the impact on your loyal customers? Did you assess the number of customers who used the SonosNet access function? Did you consider the impact and how to provide support to those people?

Sonos does have usage data for what services are used and what controllers are used. Not sure if they have data for those using Sonosnet as general wifi, or if they estimated usage through some other means. Either way, we know they have considered customer impact in the past, so it's reasonable to assume they did for this case as well.

Frankly, I do not know how to address the problem and clearly it would be helpful to have an advice line that I could call to discuss a resolution. Would you please face up to this issue which you have caused and provide some assistance?
Thank you.

It's been mentioned several times. Get an additional access point or improved router/mesh system. I can understand why people are not happy with that solution, since it's obviously not free.

Thank you for the suggestions - very much appreciated. Can anyone from Sonos comment on the proposed solution to add an access point please? Is this a valid solution and are there any plans to remove this functionality please?
Thank you.

Ryan mentioned it in his first post.

If you’ve used your Android device on the Sonos network, you’ll need to connect to the main house wireless instead to control Sonos using that device.

If you’re in need of extending your home wireless network, you may want to investigate a stronger router, or a household wireless mesh network that can support all of your devices.
Has anyone any experience of TP-Link TL-WA860RE N300 Universal Range Extender?
No, but I have a number of TL-WA850RE which work fine as access points.

Thank you for the suggestions - very much appreciated. Can anyone from Sonos comment on the proposed solution to add an access point please? Is this a valid solution and are there any plans to remove this functionality?
Has anyone any experience of TP-Link TL-WA860RE N300 Universal Range Extender?
Thank you.

I currently use a TP-Link AC1200 360RE as a repeater in a utility area, but it does also act as an access point. That’s extremely simple to configure and works fine with Sonos Controllers etc. It also has a whitelist and blacklist to include/exclude devices nearby for both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands and will automatically select the same channel when using the same SSID/Passwords as the main router.

You can also configure the device with a separate SSID and choose to show/hide the SSID...I get about 50mbps from it... and is located approx. 25-30 feet away from a central netgear router with two walls in between, one brick and one breeze-block.

Again these are found on eBay, but vary in price from £25-£40 or so. It has AC pass-through too so that’s useful. It also allows you to switch off all LED's on the device via its App and so it’s quite useful for use in a bedroom too.

The Netgear box you connected to the Dining Room player is STP-enabled and has become root bridge, messing up the topology. I'll send a PM.
SOME people... I belive that almost everyone is (was) using this fantastic feature.

I am not defending Sonos' decision, as there will certainly be some users who are adversely affected. But in truth relatively few users knew this was ever possible, let alone actually used it. It was irrelevant to iOS users, and unnecessary for most Android users.

Still a shame it's gone. As has been explained already on this thread, a very cheap access point will get you back to where you were. Unwelcome, of course, but let's not overstate how serious this is.
Userlevel 1

SOME people... I belive that almost everyone is (was) using this fantastic feature.I am not defending Sonos' decision, as there will certainly be some users who are adversely affected. But in truth relatively few users knew this was ever possible, let alone actually used it. It was irrelevant to iOS users, and unnecessary for most Android users.

Still a shame it's gone. As has been explained already on this thread, a very cheap access point will get you back to where you were. Unwelcome, of course, but let's not overstate how serious this is.

"A very cheap accesspoint" I'd need several of them 6-7 (big house), and if relatively few user used it, then what would be the problem of keeping the feature as is. What's the benefit of removing it??
I should start a new thread, I will if this gets drawn out:
Now that I have wired the remote Connect Amp to the AEX access point, that CA has become the root bridge automatically. How do I force the root bridge role back to the centrally located play 1 unit that is wired to the main router, that was the root bridge till now, being the only wired to network unit? Is there any need/advantage in doing so?

I'll send you a private message.

So as a customer you would had to find it out for yourself - after the purchase, most likely per chance by browsing through the Android app.

It is quite possible that there are some customers that bought after browsing these boards. Rare examples, but very possible.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I just trawled this and other threads and that's obviously the way to go. Thanks for the reply. Sonos used to be the gift that kept on giving in terms of functionality but now seems to be the polar opposite.
Badge +1
My sonos is in an entirely separate building. My first thought was to take my six speakers, my portable and various bridges etc., and dump them on Sonos' front door. But... I found a work around.
I also found a work around its called Consumer Law. I have a situation as above, I purchased the sonos specifically because I could control the device directly wirelessly with my android phone. I paid the stupidly high premium for this functionality which has been removed and the product I purchased is no longer fit for the purpose for which I purchased it for. Thus I will be returning to my point of sale to get a full refund for my Play 5. Do not for a minute buy these excuses and lies the bottom line is this feature could have remained but been disabled by default but still with the option to use it. It would have taken a matter of a few extra minutes worth of dev time to ensure you didn't give the middle finger to part of your customer base. And I guess this should be a lesson on apple focused products, they are products for people with too much money to waste. This update removes what little extra value this over priced non bluetooth supporting lump has for an android user, and replaces it with the suggestion to upgrade your home network at further cost. No thanks!

I also found a work around its called Consumer Law. I have a situation as above, I purchased the sonos specifically because I could control the device directly wirelessly with my android phone. I paid the stupidly high premium for this functionality which has been removed and the product I purchased is no longer fit for the purpose for which I purchased it for. Thus I will be returning to my point of sale to get a full refund for my Play 5. Do not for a minute buy these excuses and lies the bottom line is this feature could have remained but been disabled by default but still with the option to use it. It would have taken a matter of a few extra minutes worth of dev time to ensure you didn't give the middle finger to part of your customer base. And I guess this should be a lesson on apple focused products, they are products for people with too much money to waste. This update removes what little extra value this over priced non bluetooth supporting lump has for an android user, and replaces it with the suggestion to upgrade your home network at further cost. No thanks!You do realise that you can still use your Android phone as a controller, and that the feature that has been removed was never available to iOS users on this 'Apple-focussed product'?

I have the impression you may have misunderstood.

Let me make it plainly clear for you. I have a shed on my property that is hard wired with ethernet cables, but does not have any wifi coverage. I purchased this stupid expensive lump because the sales rep told me that the android app allowed you to connect directly to the speaker. Now you can argue all you like it wasn't an advertised feature but fact of the matter is it was sold to me with the sales persons touting that, it was infact this particular feature that made this unit fit for the purpose which I purchase it for. Pay key attention to this part Fit for Purpose, now if I'm not claiming I'm going to take sonos to court or anything stupid like that cause that is a futile exercise for such a small item, what I'm suggesting to others in this situation is take this product back to the place of purchase they surely care more about you as a customer than sonos does. Also anyone new here please don't be intimidated by the chorus of Sonos shills or fan boys, you have the right to be upset about this and the right not to be belittled by other users who are happy try and take you down a peg for their own gratification. If you were sold this unit by a sales person and you decided to buy it because it was at the time of purchase able to be controlled directly from your android devices wifi and you would not have purchased it if not for this fact, I strongly urge you to read about Fit for Purpose items in your local Consumer Laws. Last of all don't take Sonos word on this talk to your point of purchase after reading relevant local consumer Law.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Right so after the loss of android and now having a garage zone I can no longer use I took the advice from here and bought a TP link TL-WA860RE Range extender with access point mode.
After a bit of faffing managed to be able to control the garage zone by plugging an ethernet cable between the Play 2 in garage and the range extender (the garage zone did disappear for a while but on resetting the system in reappeared)…...but after connecting my phone to the TP link wifi and coming back into the house and reconnecting to the house wifi the house wifi no longer finds the sonos. Tried with my amazon fire which is a dedicated controller in the kitchen (thanks again Sonos for bricking my CR100's !!), which was still connecting fine but as soon as I took it out of the garage to connect to the TP link and bought it back into the house this now no longer connects to sonos via the house's wifi...what the hell is going on. I now have an unusable Sonos system all for trying to remedy problems Sonos created...I hope to god you are watching this thread SONOS and taking note and DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Sorry for the rant but as you can see I've had it...any suggestions on how to restore the status quo would be gratefully received..is it worth contacting sonos, I just don't have time to spend hours troubleshooting and just want my sonos system that I have had for 13 years to work as it did when I bought it
What a silly thing to do. It totally undermines one of the best features of Sonos.

I have a single router at one end of the house and 12 Sonos devices. My Android can (excuse me, could) connect to the mesh net with no signal loss, and now when I'm in my home office... Nothing. Why do this? It makes no sense. No argument can support removing something so simple that needs no support. You're degrading the service without any need. Please revert this change.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Yep I've been reinstalling my android controllers trying to get them to connect as I could no longer control the system...

So yet again another downgrade of a perfectly good working system!

Obsolete my CR100's that connected to Sonos Net.
Remove setup from the best place to do setup... my PC.
Remove the connection of controllers to actually control the system.

So to fix the downgrade I have to now buy more equipment that will be permanently Powered, and permanently flooding my house with yet more Radio signals.

Now i'll have Sonos Mesh Net Channel 1, Home wifi channel 6 with Mutiple AP's, Sky Q channel 11. My neighbours will love me... and the stupid thing is all but 1 of my units are hardwired ethernet... How about Sonos actually bring out something useful... turn off Sonosnet broadcast from selected units, as its of little use to me now!

Scared what "Upgrade" is coming next frankly...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
In lack of better words: That sucked..
I have been happily using the SonosNet for browsing and controlling the players for years, and have never had any problems. Now Sonos has no apparent advantages left.
(Same when they bricked old Android devices (pre 4.2) as controllers, Sonos is entertainment, not security equipment..)
Please bring back accessible SonosNet!
Providing access to Android phones via Sonos net was one of the minor features of the Boost. As long as it is still wired to the router and powered up, your Boost is probably doing more for music play stability than you know.
One of the big advantages of Sonosnet is that it lets you extend your music into areas of your home that do not have good Wi-Fi coverage (or maybe not any Wi-Fi coverage), The mesh created by other players ensures a strong signal for reliable music playback and controllers communicating with a player in the same room via Sonosnet ensures you always have reliable control.

If there is no longer any scenario where you can leverage Sonosnet for control and therefore must have strong Wi-Fi in every location it begs the question "why continue to support Sonosnet at all?" If strong Wi-Fi is now a basic requirement to control the system it seems logical to just focus on Wi-Fi for audio transport as well. You will have to beef up your network to resolve any contention or signal issues but if you have to do that anyway to ensure controller connectivity you might as well free up the Wi-Fi channel dedicated to Sonosnet and use it to improve your general Wi-Fi configuration.
Userlevel 2
Just registering by annoyance at this update also.

I've been trying to figure out why i was back connecting directly to home wifi network for a while now till i discovered this thread. I had chalked it off as being due to an update our router received from our internet provider recently.

Using Sonosnet to extend wifi to our garden in the summer was one of the best features of the system, any time we had a bbq could bring a speaker out with us and easy control of our music and extended wifi coverage. No we need to go back to the house for control.

I realise others have posted solutions but a big feature like this should not just be removed, Sonos at least should be doing more to inform customers of this and give better advise on how to deal with the change.

Any chance this gets reviewed and brought back in the future?