Update News

Android Devices no longer able to join SonosNet

Show first post

161 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
People are welcome to speculate on reasons, but we aren't always able to verify or give full accounting for changes. In my post above I stated why. This is one of the changes to our platform that needed to be made to allow for new features and capabilities to be added.

I understand and appreciate the desire for a specific list or more details, but there isn't anything more to add at this time.
Badge +1
I guess I didn't know I could do this.

At first I was afraid this meant I couldn't use my Android device to control anything on the Sonosnet. Which wouldn't be cool
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'd be happy to get a notice a couple days before the update goes live, simply saying what functionality will be removed by the upcoming update. Give me a chance to block updates until I have a work-around in place for anything I use that is going missing.

On the other hand watching nice to have stuff getting removed convinces me more than ever that RAM and ROM in the older devices is at capacity and something has to give to make room for newer stuff.

If the reason is as you suggest, then, given that Sonos have given that explanation before for other things, why haven't they this time? It may well be the reason - far more believalbe that the hilarious 'too many Android devices joining Sonosnet, making it unreliable' answer. I can only assume it isn't that or they could have said so.

Accompanied by a question mark. I really must have murdered your pet in a previous life. Sorry for that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
People are welcome to speculate on reasons, but we aren't always able to verify or give full accounting for changes.
Sure you're able to give the reasons for eliminating Android access to SonosNet. You choose not to. Sure you're able to give full accounting for changes. You choose not to. Please don't hide behind semantics and answer my original question: why did Sonos eliminate Android access to SonosNet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Ryan doesn't own Sonos, what he wants to do and what he can do may not be exactly in line.

I've worked for several employers that had communications policies, not only would they fire me if I talked they'd go for damages in court. Kinda sucked but it did keep the stuff we knew quiet when they wanted it quiet.

Now if you get a few beers and a steak into him over the weekend you might get an off-the-record comment or two if he trusts you or it is many beers.
As a workaround, a user could always cable a cheap WiFi access point to the Ethernet port of a (remote placed) Sonos speaker and use the WiFi signal from that to connect their controlling device, Android, or iOS etc. So all is not lost for the “man in his garden shed”.

I would personally just keep the SSID and channel number the same as the main WiFi, for ease of use. The connection will get routed back over SonosNet doing it that way.

I have to thank @ratty for this suggestion by the way. 👍 He mentioned the idea to me a while back.
Userlevel 1
Hi. I used to control the sonos Play3 in my bedroom through SonosNet because the wifi signal in my bedroom is very low.
Now I cant control the Play3.
What am I supposed to do?
(please any solution that does not involve buying a new router/repeater)

Thank you.
Userlevel 1
Also, why this feature was removed? It was great for me.
Why cant you just leave the user decide to enable it?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

At first I was afraid this meant I couldn't use my Android device to control anything on the Sonosnet. Which wouldn't be cool

Stay tuned for 10.3, maybe this will actually happen.
Badge
This change, applied by Sonos without any prior notification, gives me a major headache in how to reconfigure my non-Sonos network. As Stanley_4 says, I too would have blocked the update until I had time to consider how to work around this problem now imposed. I do not see any advice from Sonos on how to deal with this situation.
Sonos - please would you comment on how you assessed the impact on your loyal customers? Did you assess the number of customers who used the SonosNet access function? Did you consider the impact and how to provide support to those people?
Frankly, I do not know how to address the problem and clearly it would be helpful to have an advice line that I could call to discuss a resolution. Would you please face up to this issue which you have caused and provide some assistance?
Thank you.
Frankly, I do not know how to address the problem
@Ken_Griffiths has already suggested how here. In fact there are even cheaper access points which could be used. Just wire one to the nearest Sonos device. It will then use SonosNet for its network connection.

What's more, such a third party AP would also cater for iOS devices and, for example, iPort xPRESS keypads.

Whilst one can understand users' grievances Sonos presumably didn't remove Android connecitvity without careful consideration. Compared to some other functionality withdrawals this is very simple to deal with.
My son in law occasionally uses an old Airport Express as an access point cabled to his SonosNet linked Play:1 speaker to provide a WiFi connection in his out-building/workshop.. its one of these, which I think he bought cheaply off eBay. Useful to try if you happen to have one lying around the place, perhaps?

My son in law occasionally uses an old Airport Express ... Useful to try if you happen to have one lying around the place, perhaps?
Maybe, but only if you already have one. For heavens sake don't buy one. IME they take an age to boot, are awful to configure, and run ridiculously hot.
Badge
Thank you for the suggestions - very much appreciated. Can anyone from Sonos comment on the proposed solution to add an access point please? Is this a valid solution and are there any plans to remove this functionality?
Has anyone any experience of TP-Link TL-WA860RE N300 Universal Range Extender?
Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Stay tuned for 10.3, maybe this will actually happen.

Can you honestly think of any possible reason why Sonos would do that, given that half of their customers use android for control?

This change, applied by Sonos without any prior notification, gives me a major headache in how to reconfigure my non-Sonos network. As Stanley_4 says, I too would have blocked the update until I had time to consider how to work around this problem now imposed. I do not see any advice from Sonos on how to deal with this situation.

This is a good point, and Sonos has given forewarning of similar changes in the past. I'd speculate that this change is related to the Google integration in some way, and management did not want to postpone the update.

Sonos - please would you comment on how you assessed the impact on your loyal customers? Did you assess the number of customers who used the SonosNet access function? Did you consider the impact and how to provide support to those people?

Sonos does have usage data for what services are used and what controllers are used. Not sure if they have data for those using Sonosnet as general wifi, or if they estimated usage through some other means. Either way, we know they have considered customer impact in the past, so it's reasonable to assume they did for this case as well.

Frankly, I do not know how to address the problem and clearly it would be helpful to have an advice line that I could call to discuss a resolution. Would you please face up to this issue which you have caused and provide some assistance?
Thank you.

It's been mentioned several times. Get an additional access point or improved router/mesh system. I can understand why people are not happy with that solution, since it's obviously not free.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Thank you for the suggestions - very much appreciated. Can anyone from Sonos comment on the proposed solution to add an access point please? Is this a valid solution and are there any plans to remove this functionality please?
Thank you.

Ryan mentioned it in his first post.

If you’ve used your Android device on the Sonos network, you’ll need to connect to the main house wireless instead to control Sonos using that device.

If you’re in need of extending your home wireless network, you may want to investigate a stronger router, or a household wireless mesh network that can support all of your devices.
No, but I have a number of TL-WA850RE which work fine as access points.

Thank you for the suggestions - very much appreciated. Can anyone from Sonos comment on the proposed solution to add an access point please? Is this a valid solution and are there any plans to remove this functionality?
Thank you.

I currently use a TP-Link AC1200 360RE as a repeater in a utility area, but it does also act as an access point. That’s extremely simple to configure and works fine with Sonos Controllers etc. It also has a whitelist and blacklist to include/exclude devices nearby for both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands and will automatically select the same channel when using the same SSID/Passwords as the main router.

You can also configure the device with a separate SSID and choose to show/hide the SSID...I get about 50mbps from it... and is located approx. 25-30 feet away from a central netgear router with two walls in between, one brick and one breeze-block.

Again these are found on eBay, but vary in price from £25-£40 or so. It has AC pass-through too so that’s useful. It also allows you to switch off all LED's on the device via its App and so it’s quite useful for use in a bedroom too.

This is a pain.... Whatever slag heap they got the dust to make the blocks that are used to build the internal walls of my house kill WiFi signal, it just gets through 1 wall but if its 2 walls then there is no chance of seeing it. So all of the speaker in the 3 bedrooms were controlled via android phones that lined to SonosNet. I have also had to add in an extra bridge in the house just to give me only 1 wall between each sonos devices so it can build its mesh. So for me its not just one plug its one for every room other than the room with the router. I already have an upgraded router with a stronger signal.
Badge +1
I spoke with tech support today and was told Sonos was worried that using their speakers as hotspots would somehow destroy the speakers. And, he reminded me, this would create warranty issues. I did not make this up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@scrannel, thanks for sharing. I'm going to look into that call on our end, but it seems you weren't given accurate info. The reasons for this don't include preventing wireless traffic from damaging players.
Badge +1
Don't worry about it. Otherwise the tech was very polite and I have no complaints.
I would personally just keep the SSID and channel number the same as the main WiFi, for ease of use. The connection will get routed back over SonosNet doing it that way.

Ken, do the two sentences need a para to separate them - would the connection not get routed back over Sonos net no matter the naming protocol and the channel selection for the access point?

As to channel selection, a follow up; While Sonosnet and Wifi are best kept on separate channels, is there any such recommendation for the channels to be set for the access point and the main router? Does it even matter, given the distance of the access point from the main router?
A small digression for clarification, based on a copy/paste from:
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/use-sonosnet-as-wifi-repeater-mesh-for-laptops-tablets-mobile-devices-5804059

"SonosNet is independent from WiFi. However networks can be extended over SonosNet, by plugging third party devices into the remote Ethernet ports.

The Sonos unit wired to your router could communicate over SonosNet with your PLAY:5. When you wired the PLAY:5 to the AP a loop developed, because it could also communicate via the AP.

If the AP was wired back to the router Sonos would generally have resolved the situation itself, blocking its SonosNet connection and breaking the loop."

The second para confuses me: When one unit is wired to the router, all Sonos units communicate via Sonosnet, as I understand. How would the above loop get created then, how would the root bridge unit or the Play 5 also communicate via the AP?

And if so, what is the solution? Wiring the AP back to the router doesn't make sense, defeating the use of a remote Sonos ethernet port to avoid just this.