Update News

Android Devices no longer able to join SonosNet

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
  • Community Manager
  • 11182 replies
With Sonos version 10.2, Android devices will be unable to connect directly to the Sonos mesh wireless that is created when you have a Sonos player wired into the network. This network is called SonosNet, and there was a setting within Settings > Advanced Settings which had to be turned on, and allowed you to use Android devices on the Sonos mesh network.

If you’ve used your Android device on the Sonos network, you’ll need to connect to the main house wireless instead to control Sonos using that device.

If you’re in need of extending your home wireless network, you may want to investigate a stronger router, or a household wireless mesh network that can support all of your devices.

161 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi

Ok, this change is understood, but you don’t hint at why this change has been made.

It wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect a little reasoning behind these kinds of changes, so the inevitable question is ....... why ??

andrew S
One of the big advantages of Sonosnet is that it lets you extend your music into areas of your home that do not have good Wi-Fi coverage (or maybe not any Wi-Fi coverage), The mesh created by other players ensures a strong signal for reliable music playback and controllers communicating with a player in the same room via Sonosnet ensures you always have reliable control.

If there is no longer any scenario where you can leverage Sonosnet for control and therefore must have strong Wi-Fi in every location it begs the question "why continue to support Sonosnet at all?" If strong Wi-Fi is now a basic requirement to control the system it seems logical to just focus on Wi-Fi for audio transport as well. You will have to beef up your network to resolve any contention or signal issues but if you have to do that anyway to ensure controller connectivity you might as well free up the Wi-Fi channel dedicated to Sonosnet and use it to improve your general Wi-Fi configuration.
If there is no longer any scenario where you can leverage Sonosnet for control and therefore must have strong Wi-Fi in every location it begs the question "why continue to support Sonosnet at all?" If strong Wi-Fi is now a basic requirement to control the system it seems logical to just focus on Wi-Fi for audio transport as well. You will have to beef up your network to resolve any contention or signal issues but if you have to do that anyway to ensure controller connectivity you might as well free up the Wi-Fi channel dedicated to Sonosnet and use it to improve your general Wi-Fi configuration.
What WiFi channel dedicated to SonosNet? SonosNet does not depend on your Home-WiFi.

The ability of a device to join SonosNet directly and SonosNet itself are different things not related to each other.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
I'm astonished that such functionality and key Android ability/advantage is being removed and a reason would be great.
It's interesting that this will probably mean lots of controllers may now be unable to connect to the system - and one of the proposed 'solutions' has often caused many connectivity issues itself.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
With Sonos version 10.2, Android devices will be unable to connect directly to the Sonos mesh wireless
Why this sudden deterioration of service?

With Sonos version 10.2, Android devices will be unable to connect directly to the Sonos mesh wirelessWhy this sudden deterioration of service?

Too many Android devices joining SonosNet, making it therefore unreliable for its actual purpose?
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Don't need baseless guesses, just a Sonos answer. I know you're desperate to feel the need to justify things for them but give them a chance. Staggered you didn't insist it must be an Google enforcement and it 'must' be out of Sonos's control. Such things are usually attributed to Google or Amazon.
If it was anything like your guess it could easily be overcome with a simple limitation of concurrently connected devices.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Don't need baseless guesses, just a Sonos answer.
Indeed.
Badge +5
Stupid question alert... if the Android device I've been using as a Sonos controller is currently connected to my main WiFi, this change does not modify anything, correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
We’re always evaluating how we can deliver the best listening experience to everyone using Sonos. This involves making regular changes to our platform that allow for new features and capabilities to be added over time. We do know some people have been using this feature, but ultimately we had to make the decision to remove it.

If you have any trouble with using Sonos after extending wireless networks or with using wireless access points, our support team is happy to assist, so please do feel free to contact us.

Getting a better router in the house, or using wireless access points/mesh networks is a great way to strengthen your home network for all devices you might want to use with Sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Correct.
My guess is the option to allow connection will be removed.
At which point devices that depended on Sonos net (due to being out of range of the systems' WiFi) will then be unable to control the system (as it stands) any more.
Other devices that connected to Sonosnet due to it being a better signal will need to revert back to the WiFi that Sonos uses.
Stupid question alert... if the Android device I've been using as a Sonos controller is currently connected to my main WiFi, this change does not modify anything, correct?
Correct. This feature was disabled by default anyway.
Correct.
At which point devices that depended on Sonos net (due to being out of range of the systems' WiFi) will then be unable to control the system (as it stands) any more.
Other devices that connected to Sonosnet due to it being a better signal will need to revert back to the WiFi that Sonos uses.

???
Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Correct.
???

Oh dear, if that's it then how childsh and semantic do you want to be?
I'll leave the answer 'as is' though to see if it really is so confusing to others as it clearly is to you.
I'm pretty sure users know the network they'd need to connect their device to - irrespective of the actual 'root' connection method.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
So disappointed in Ryan's corporate 'We're always looking to improve things' 'answer'. 😞

If there is no longer any scenario where you can leverage Sonosnet for control and therefore must have strong Wi-Fi in every location it begs the question "why continue to support Sonosnet at all?" If strong Wi-Fi is now a basic requirement to control the system it seems logical to just focus on Wi-Fi for audio transport as well. You will have to beef up your network to resolve any contention or signal issues but if you have to do that anyway to ensure controller connectivity you might as well free up the Wi-Fi channel dedicated to Sonosnet and use it to improve your general Wi-Fi configuration.What WiFi channel dedicated to SonosNet? SonosNet does not depend on your Home-WiFi.

The ability of a device to join SonosNet directly and SonosNet itself are different things not related to each other.

Sonosnet uses a 2.4 GHz channel that you select in setup. If you are following good networking practice you make sure it is a non-overlapping channel such as 1 6 or 11 that is different from what you are using for your wireless router or access points (IE dedicated to Sonosnet). In a household that does not use Sonosnet that 2.4 GHz channel becomes available to use for regular Wi-Fi which can be helpful if you are working around contention with your neighbors in a crowded Wi-Fi environment. Unfortunately it does not help you with extending your network using wireless access points because those should always be on different frequencies to prevent interference in areas where they overlap, but Sonos does not work well when players operate at different frequencies from each other in order to connect to the nearest access point. I don't think it has been made clear as Sonos appears to be winding down Sonosnet but also cannot play well in a multiple access point Wi-Fi environment, just what the strategy is supposed to be to scale out wireless connectivity for the system. Is it really going to be that Sonosnet and Wi-Fi are both required in every room?
Sonosnet uses a 2.4 GHz channel that you select in setup. If you are following good networking practice you make sure it is a non-overlapping channel such as 1 6 or 11 that is different from what you are using for your wireless router or access points (IE dedicated to Sonosnet). In a household that does not use Sonosnet that 2.4 GHz channel becomes available to use for regular Wi-Fi which can be helpful if you are working around contention with your neighbors in a crowded Wi-Fi environment. Unfortunately it does not help you with extending your network using wireless access points because those should always be on different frequencies to prevent interference in areas where they overlap, but Sonos does not work well when players operate at different frequencies from each other in order to connect to the nearest access point. I don't think it has been made clear as Sonos appears to be winding down Sonosnet but also cannot play well in a multiple access point Wi-Fi environment, just what the strategy is supposed to be to scale out wireless connectivity for the system. Is it really going to be that Sonosnet and Wi-Fi are both required in every room?
What do you mean - a requirement for Sonos to operate in 'Mixed Mode'? Good luck with overcoming the shortcomings of this configuration. And yes... I know what I am talking about.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Notwithstanding the addition of Google assistant, as an occasional user of this feature this sucks 🖕
Don't need baseless guesses, just a Sonos answer. I know you're desperate to feel the need to justify things for them but give them a chance. Staggered you didn't insist it must be an Google enforcement and it 'must' be out of Sonos's control. Such things are usually attributed to Google or Amazon.
If it was anything like your guess it could easily be overcome with a simple limitation of concurrently connected devices.

You know Sonos is not going to give you an actual explanation. However, if I wish to guess, it was probably eliminated for the same reason other things are eliminated; the low memory capabilities on the decade+ old Sonos players means some features need to be compromised or the units need to be retired. I'm sure the number of customers connecting to Sonosnet is dwarfed by the number of owners of the original ZP units, so a decision was made.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I've removed some needless posts in here. Let's please remember to keep things friendly or we will have to close the thread.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I've removed some needless posts in here. Let's please remember to keep things friendly or we will have to close the thread.

You forgot the one by the mind reader above this one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I've removed some needless posts in here. Let's please remember to keep things friendly or we will have to close the thread.You forgot the one by the mind reader above this one.

That post has been edited, the remaining content is fine. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about moderation actions.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I've removed some needless posts in here. Let's please remember to keep things friendly or we will have to close the thread.You forgot the one by the mind reader above this one.
That post has been edited, the remaining content is fine. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about moderation actions.

Nah I'm good your preference and bias is transparent based on what you do and don't edit regardless of the forum rules.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Wow.

I so rarely post in these forums these days, as just about every thread quickly descends into so much noise.

But Ryan, by simply answering the question the usual slanging match by those who seem to think they know it could have been avoided.

It IS a reasonable question...... why ?

Andrew S
Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You know Sonos is not going to give you an actual explanation. However, if I wish to guess, it was probably eliminated for the same reason other things are eliminated; the low memory capabilities on the decade+ old Sonos players means some features need to be compromised or the units need to be retired. I'm sure the number of customers connecting to Sonosnet is dwarfed by the number of owners of the original ZP units, so a decision was made.

If the reason is as you suggest, then, given that Sonos have given that explanation before for other things, why haven't they this time? It may well be the reason - far more believalbe that the hilarious 'too many Android devices joining Sonosnet, making it unreliable' answer. I can only assume it isn't that or they could have said so.