Amazon Prime Music available on Sonos in new countries

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Community Manager
  • 9396 replies
We’re excited to announce that Amazon Music for Prime subscribers is now available on Sonos in the United Kingdom, Germany and Austria starting today at 11am PST.

To learn some more about the service please see here.

Amazon Music is available for Amazon Prime subscribers with no additional charge. The service includes Prime Stations, professionally curated playlists, and full access to their on demand music library of artists, albums, and songs.

20 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Excellent!
Badge
being an Amazon Prime member already - but never having used Prime music as I don't listen to anything unless it's through our Sonos - I excitedly logged into Prime two days ago using my Sonos controller on my Android tablet. Ok. Well, I can access curated playlists and various different genre; yes, if a track is playing I can give it a "thumbs up/down" and progress to next offering. BUT I cannot find a way of "searching" Prime or of downloading for off-line use.
So last night I also installed the Amazon Music Android app on the same tablet. With this I CAN search Prime music, find albums or tracks by chosen artist, etc. I can then 'add' this to My Library, then it can be found and played in Sonos.
Why cannot I find the ability to download and to Search Prime Music direct from within Sonos?
markofyork wrote:

Why cannot I find the ability to download and to Search Prime Music direct from within Sonos?

As stated by Kenneth from Sonos in the following link, this functionality is slated for future release:

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/amazon-prime-uk-6736587/index1.html#post16007567
Badge
Thanks jgatie - I'd discovered by default the work around of using the android app to add prime content to my amazon music library, which then appears and can be played by Sonos. The need for this certainly wasn't made clear in the press releases. And how about the facility to download music for playing off line with Sonos ? I haven't worked that out yet!
Finally, when using the Amazon app. for playing music one can choose streaming quality in settings - what assurance have we that when streaming to Sonos we are getting the best quality available - 320kbs I believe?
Cheers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I tbought Amazon music was 256kbps.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
BoredofBalham wrote:

I tbought Amazon music was 256kbps.

That's correct. From our FAQ:

What bitrate and format does Amazon Music stream in?
256 kbps AAC & MP3
I hooked into Amazon prime music tonight while making dinner. I can unequivocally state that it was a fantastic experience and sounded incredible. I know there are guys out there that demand impeccable quality from their streaming music, but I can tell you firsthand (and through your rolling eyes) that whatever bit rate Amazon is streaming sounded great through my Connect amp and Infinity speakers in the kitchen. Come down on them all you want because the quality may not be up to YOUR standards, but frankly, that's your problem. I was beyond thrilled with what I was hearing, as was my wife.

And frankly, it is what it is. If it's below you, move along and enjoy your local FLAC collection.
I don't use Amazon, I use Apple that also streams at a claimed 256 kbps AAC. I have some mixed source playlists from there, and from my NAS that has both lossless CD rips and 256kbps iTunes purchases. I often don't know what source is playing at a given time.

I don't think there are audible differences, and if there are, they are such that can be heard only in an quiet room with attention devoted entirely to picking differences and not listening to the music. Why bother doing that? - I prefer instead to enjoy the music and the associated unmatched music access + convenience over looking for reasons why I can't enjoy all the magic in the tech that affords me this never to be had before experience.

What matters is that music should not drop/stutter because that ruins the experience for me and Sonos is quite good at managing these issues.

The quality issues arising from poorly mastered/recorded versions continues, but that is a different matter.
Userlevel 2
Badge
jgatie wrote:

markofyork wrote:

As stated by Kenneth from Sonos in the following link, this functionality is slated for future release:

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/amazon-prime-uk-6736587/index1.html#post16007567

I've stated in another post, this needs to be made clearer to people, not everyone will read Kenneth's post, or even come on this website

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/amazon-prime-uk-6736587/index1.html#post16007812
Badge
The new Amazon Prime Music works really well. The radio stations and curated playlists save me the hassle of working out what to listen to. Thanks v much for adding this in the UK.
I tried to sign in a few days ago but no luck! Contacted Sonos and they spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with me trying to work through it but no luck!
They seemed to think it is a problem with Sky Broad Band. I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be anyone else having this weather!
Very annoying!
.......anyone else having this problem NOT weather!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Why is this not in Ireland?
My husband was excited about this but then discovered you can't search the Amazon Music Library, this seems weird to me because I can search my Apple Music library. Seems a bit pointless having amazon music if you can't search the library!
This is a total faff compared to Spotify - when will the Amazon prime functionality resemble Spotify via sonos app alone? Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I have Amazon Prime Music as a result of being a Prime member here in the UK. Music wasn't the reason I signed up to AP so I see it as an added bonus.

However, having tried the 3month free Apple Music trial when we were able to integrate that into Sonos, and comparing it to the Amazon Prime Music integration in Sonos I echo the concerns about the usability of Amazon Prime Music in Sonos. The fact you can only search My Music and not Amazon Prime Music on the Sonos app and have to log into the Amazon Prime Music app to find the music, transfer to My Music and then go back to the Sonos app is extremely clunky to say the least!

It's almost as if Amazon wanted it that way so people purchased Amazon's speakers!
Badge
Stuart, you are looking at Amazon Music correctly. If you view it as an "add on" to Amazon Prime and use it as a supplement to an existing music or library, you'll be happy with it. As a stand alone product...not so good. I don't think Amazon Dot is available yet in the UK, but I have my Dot plugged into a Play 5 so I can call up anything in my Amazon Library and any song available with Prime.
Why not Ireland????
Amazon Music not available in Singapore and I'm happy with Spotify. I'll wait when Alexa can pair with Spotify. Any idea when? How to remove Amazon Music from Sonos ?
Badge
Amazon Music App is now available in Canada however not included on SONOS 8.2 Will there be an update soon?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)