Amazon Music Now Available in Sonos Public Beta

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What is Sonos expected to do other than continually ask Amazon to work out their legal issues in making available in other parts of world?
Interesting thread for a new user of Sonos. I have been impressed by my pair of Play1's over the last few days, although the lack of availability of Amazon prime music might be a reason why i return my Play1's and opt for the Bose Soundtouch 10 or 20. Whilst the features of Sonos outstrip Bose Soundtouch, and i am thoroughly impressed with the sound. The ability to use bluetooth to stream anything from your phone with the Bose product (Amazon Prime music & youtube music as 2 examples), and have this play in any room is a feature I feel is missing from Sonos. In defence of Sonos, since you can't link 2 soundtouch 10's to form a stereo pair i am still unsure which direction to take. Since i still use iTunes & TuneIn radio its not a deal breaker, but has made me think about which manufacturer to invest in.
I'm almost positive the Bluetooth streaming in the Bose system is not multi-room. It is to one speaker only.
Another +1 to keep pushing Amazon for UK Prime Music please.
I'm almost positive the Bluetooth streaming in the Bose system is not multi-room. It is to one speaker only.
I think you are correct - but the Bose system can then share any input to any speaker with the rest of the network.
I think you are correct - but the Bose system can then share any input to any speaker with the rest of the network.

Not the Bluetooth source. For Bluetooth, the Bose are just another standalone Bluetooth speaker; the multi-room capabilities are disabled.
Very useful replies, although looking at the following review it mentions you can redistribute a bluetooth input to all other speakers. I have no hands on experience with this though... " http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/media-streamers/1404061/bose-soundtouch-10-review-hands-on "

quote: The other useful addition is Bluetooth connectivity. Now, you're able to connect one device to a speaker over Bluetooth to play the audio from any app or service, meaning anything from YouTube to your favourite podcast app. The SoundTouch range can then re-broadcast this audio source to every other connected speaker on your network in multiroom, treating it like any other music service. It's a useful addition and helps get you round any potential music streaming service compatibility issues. Apple Music, for example, isn't directly supported by any multiroom speaker at present (although AirPlay obviously works). Even Sonos, which historically has had the greatest compatibility, is only promising Apple Music support by Christmas.
Let's not get the thread diverging into topics we shall really not be discussing here.

What we really need is SONOS & AMAZON to work out whatever they need to and make sure Amazon Prime Music content is visible to Sonos.
It is incredibly frustrating to see it released to customers in USA but not elsewhere, essentially 1st class and economy class customers, while we are all paying the same premium for Sonos products as well as Amazon Prime subscriptions.

Let me repeat it:
essentially 1st class and economy class customers, while we are all paying the same premium for Sonos products as well as Amazon Prime subscriptions
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Let's not get the thread diverging into topics we shall really not be discussing here.

What we really need is SONOS & AMAZON to work out whatever they need to and make sure Amazon Prime Music content is visible to Sonos.
It is incredibly frustrating to see it released to customers in USA but not elsewhere, essentially 1st class and economy class customers, while we are all paying the same premium for Sonos products as well as Amazon Prime subscriptions.

Let me repeat it:
essentially 1st class and economy class customers, while we are all paying the same premium for Sonos products as well as Amazon Prime subscriptions

Absolutely except it is about 98% Amazon who need to extract digit(s) from nether regions as there are absolutely NO Sonos barriers
I'll be dealing with Amazon then, starting right away 😠
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Latest response....

Hello Laurie,

It's Martin here from the Amazon.co.uk Customer Service team and I've just reviewed your email.

I can understand that you'd like to know whether you can stream the Amazon Prime Music in your Sonos device. Firstly, let me apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Prime Music is not available on the Sonos platform / Roku platform / Samsung TV app / Samsung speaker system at this time. I'm very sorry for this inconvenience.

Customer feedback like yours really helps us continue to improve our digital music service. I've passed your input to the Amazon Music team for consideration as we make future improvements.

I can understand that Sonos device is compatible to stream the Amazon.com Prime Music. Even though we're partners we operate separately.

You can access Prime Music on Fire Tablets (running Fire OS 4.0 or above), Fire phone, iOS devices, Android smartphones and tablets (v. 4.0 and above), Amazon Music for PC and Mac, and the Amazon.co.uk website. Playback of Prime Music already in your music library is available on Fire TV and Fire TV Stick.

We hope that you don't have any further problems. Should you have any further questions or comments, you can reach us via the contact us link below:

www.amazon.co.uk/contact-us

We hope to see you again soon.
Latest response....

Hello Laurie,

It's Martin here from the Amazon.co.uk Customer Service team and I've just reviewed your email.

I can understand that you'd like to know whether you can stream the Amazon Prime Music in your Sonos device. Firstly, let me apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Prime Music is not available on the Sonos platform / Roku platform / Samsung TV app / Samsung speaker system at this time. I'm very sorry for this inconvenience.

Customer feedback like yours really helps us continue to improve our digital music service. I've passed your input to the Amazon Music team for consideration as we make future improvements.

I can understand that Sonos device is compatible to stream the Amazon.com Prime Music. Even though we're partners we operate separately.

You can access Prime Music on Fire Tablets (running Fire OS 4.0 or above), Fire phone, iOS devices, Android smartphones and tablets (v. 4.0 and above), Amazon Music for PC and Mac, and the Amazon.co.uk website. Playback of Prime Music already in your music library is available on Fire TV and Fire TV Stick.

We hope that you don't have any further problems. Should you have any further questions or comments, you can reach us via the contact us link below:

www.amazon.co.uk/contact-us

indeed... I got:
Hello,

Prime Music is not available on the Sonos platform at this time. I'm very sorry for this inconvenience.

--------------------

And I replied:
- NO: you didn't fix my problem
- YES: I will still have further problems since you are simply saying Prime Music doesnt work in Sonos and not giving any timeline for this to change

There need to be more of us complaining directly to Amazon for this issue
Ok, I have jumped on the bandwagon in complaining to Amazon in the UK about this - I sent an email last night to jeff@amazon.com:

"I love Amazon and been a Prime member for years. Was very excited when you guys released Prime Music in the UK - Apple Music was cancelled along with Spotify.

I have Sonos at home and I am unable to stream Prime Music to my system??? Contacted your customer services dept and was informed that you are looking to expand your Music service to a broader selection of devices in the future....not exactly a helpful answer.

Can you shed any light on this or do I need to go back to Apple & Spotify just to listen to music at home?!"

They have just responded:

"My name is John Wall and I work within Amazon Executive Customer Relations.

Jeff Bezos received your e-mail and asked that I respond on his behalf, taking any action necessary to assist you.

Prime Music is not available on the Sonos platform at this time. I'm very sorry for this inconvenience.

We hope to see you again soon."

Not very helpful - so I've gone back again with:

"Dear John,

Many thanks for your email, but you've completely swerved my question..... I know full well that Prime Music does not play through the Sonos system hence my original correspondence - but can you let me know if there are any plans to address this as it's fundamental to my home entertainment set up.

Many thanks "

I'll let you know what they say but I guess we just need to keep bombarding Amazon UK....
They are just running with a template reply...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
So if I run the amazon music app on my android phone, all is good. If I run the Sonos app on the same phone, the Amazon service is missing. I assume its due to geo blocking. ( I am NOT in the US)

Why?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
So if I run the amazon music app on my android phone, all is good. If I run the Sonos app on the same phone, the Amazon service is missing. I assume its due to geo blocking. ( I am NOT in the US)

Why?

Correct. At this time, Amazon is only available in the US. Once we have more information we'll let people know.

Why?

Correct. At this time, Amazon is only available in the US. Once we have more information we'll let people know.

Not fully correct.
You can add the Amazon music library to your services list in the Sonos app. And that works in USA and at least in UK, FRA and ITA (from what I know).
But the Amazon Music Service in your Sonos App will not load anything you have in your Amazon Cloud Library under PRIME content. Only content you have purchased or imported, not PRIME content, will be available in the Amazon service in Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Why?

Trying to understand the logic here. So Amazon Music is available outside the US, but Sonos is geo blocking it. So couple of reasons.

1. You are having issues with it and want to restrict it to US until rectified?
2. Amazon has asked you to geo block. But I cant think of a reason they would want that?
3. Your just geo blocking because you dont like people who disable geo blocking. But that would be very nasty, so I really hope its not that. You did geo block spotify when it was released, so maybe...

I dont expect an answer, but I would love to understand the logic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
1) No. Amazon Prime music is currently NOT available in the UK (I do not know about other countries or if it is as simple as outside US)- this has nothing to do with Sonos. Amazon have made that business decision.
2) See above
3) you want Sonos to help and aide you to do something illegal and because they don't they are nasty?

This is NOT a Sonos issue (AP music outside US on Sonos). Knock on Amazons door.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Amazon does NOT geo block
Sonos DOES geo block

What am I missing?

(Actually its not illegal, Australian govt even promotes people to use tools to circumvent geo blocks)

1) No. Amazon Prime music is currently NOT available in the UK (I do not know about other countries or if it is as simple as outside US)- this has nothing to do with Sonos. Amazon have made that business decision.
2) See above
3) you want Sonos to help and aide you to do something illegal and because they don't they are nasty?

This is NOT a Sonos issue (AP music outside US on Sonos). Knock on Amazons door.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What am I missing?

All the people who have repeatedly told you it is an Amazon issue and NOT a Sonos one, that is what you are missing.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
What am I missing?

All the people who have repeatedly told you it is an Amazon issue and NOT a Sonos one, that is what you are missing.

So Sonos have come out and said its a Amazon issue as why they are geo blocking? sorry I missed that message.
Sonos DOES geo block

What am I missing?

(Actually its not illegal, Australian govt even promotes people to use tools to circumvent geo blocks)

What you are missing is the licensing for third party streamers can be different from the licensing for phones/tablets/etc., and because of this, new contracts need to be straightened out before allowing streaming in other countries. Streaming music rights are a minefield right now; take a look at the $150 million lawsuit against Spotify, which may be its downfall, for an obvious example. No company is going to activate a streaming service on a potential of millions of new devices until all the legalities are gone over with a fine tooth comb, and since licensing differs by geography, there are going to be geoblocks. Those are the facts, you can accept them or not.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
OK finally a reasonable answer instead of "because they said so". If there are different licensing for streamers, then that would make it complicated, but I still dont like it :/

Sonos DOES geo block

What am I missing?

What you are missing is the licensing for third party streamers can be different from the licensing for phones/tablets/etc., and because of this, new contracts need to be straightened out before allowing streaming in other countries. Streaming music rights are a minefield right now; take a look at the $150 million lawsuit against Spotify. which may be its downfall, for example. No company is going to activate a streaming service on a potential of millions of new devices until all the legalities are gone over with a fine tooth comb, and since licensing differs by geography, there are going to be geoblocks. Those are the facts, you can accept them or not.
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer regarding Amazon Prime Music

Unfortunately, it is not possible to add the Amazon Music service to the Sonos system as it is not currently supported. We know supporting Amazon Music is a highly requested feature and that many of our customers are hoping to hear an acknowledgement from us on potential plans.

The following link gives more information about Amazon Music :- Amazon Music and Sonos

There is also a link on our community website which can view and see the latest announcements :- Sonos Community Add Amazon Prime Music Streaming

You do have the option now of using a line in facility on some of our units to attach a device and play this way. More information about line in is available via this link:- Line-In

In the meantime if there's anything else I can help you with then please do not hesitate to get in touch quoting ref: 160119-000896

If you require assistance or if it is more convenient please do not hesitate to contact us
Our support number (from the UK) is 0808 234 6596 free from a land line. We are available to help Monday to Friday 0900 to 2000 and on Saturday 0900 to 1700.

From outside the UK check http://www.sonos.com/support for your local number.

This incident will close within 2 business days unless you contact us in the meantime. If you are unable to reply within 48 hours, please contact us back when possible and we will follow up on the case accordingly.

Kind regards,