Service News

Amazon Music HD Available on Sonos

• 17 September 2019
  • 111 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

111 replies

Is there no way of using the Amazon app itself like I can with Spotify as it appears the sonos app is not showing hd on the track list

@The Nadz Sorry for the confusion, I will attempt to clarify. When accessed through Amazon Music HD directly in the Sonos app, the players will grab and play the 16 bit CD quality streams. Through line-in, you'll start with whatever stream the connected device (Fire TV stick) can play, then the TV will hopefully allow it to pass to your Beam unaltered, and at that point, the Beam will play it as TV audio, because it doesn't know that what's coming in is music.
TV Audio is played at the highest quality possible, but it's treated differently than other Line-In data, or music streams. In your case, it's hard to say for certain which would sound better, and that may be up to you and the other listeners in the home to decide.

Please let me know if this helps or if I can explains things further.

Is there no way of using the Amazon app itself like I can with Spotify as it appears the sonos app is not showing hd on the track list

Yes you can, but at present casting from the Amazon Music app to Sonos is in SD whatever the app may say. Evidently this is because it piggy-backs on the Alexa delivery mechanism.

Thanks @John G. That clears up a lot but I still have a few questions. Which of these will play Amazon Music in HD? I own 3 Sonos speakers (Beam, One, and Play 5) and the # of ways to play Amazon Music seem endless. BTW, I’ve already confirmed that the Amazon Music app on my Smart TV does not support HD.

1. Alexa app cast from Android (or Airplay from iPad) to Sonos
  2. Amazon Music app cast from Android (or Airplay from iPad) to Sonos
  3. Amazon Echo paired to Sonos (using Preferred Speaker setting in Alexa app groups)
  4. Amazon Echo Aux Out or cellphone headphone jack connected to Aux In port on Play 5
Badge

Hi getjams, the team is working on bringing Amazon Unlimited HD streams to Sonos using voice control with Alexa, more to come soon and we’ll share here when it’s available.

Will this be part of the new release in June?

Badge

I’m streaming Amazon “HD” through a beam, two 1’s and a sub. It definitely sounds better than SD, especially orchestral strings. The shrillness is gone. HD is well worth the money. 

What the hell happened?   Now Amazon says Sonos is not supported for HD, and it is Sonos that is blocking this.  
I know that “ultra” isn’t possible, but we can’t even stream CD quality now.
Amazon’s “ultra hd” playlists used to appear but now are gone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

There was a time when I refused to think of listening to lossless CD rips on a local NAS over WiFi as opposed to through my exotic brand name interconnects for the sound degradation that would bring, even when that mode would have been a lot more convenient as well as less messy. Fortunately, I escaped from that well and never looked back..

i thought long about posting here as I know this is an argument that gets people fired up.

i accept that in your case Kumar, you have experienced the argument from both sides and have made the decision that is right for you. I totally respect that.

But as with many things, the situation can be more nuanced than it first seems.

I have a significant visual impairment. It is said many people hone one sense when others are impaired.

I know when I first ripped my CDs lossy, I was in a few cases disappointed how some music sounded ‘wrong’. I wouldn’t honestly say they sounded to my ears worse, just , well -wrong. Admittedly this was with good headphones and with very familiar modern recordings. I tried lossless, and it sounded right to me, at least compared to what I was familiar with. Again I would be lying if I used the word better, it just sounded right.

I never heard any difference on Sonos gear, however, but I was convinced enough to re-rip in a lossless format. You know, just in case 😋

We all hear what we hear and it is impossible to accurately convey to others what that is.

The only analogy I can give is of an evening I often hear people describe the millions of stars in the night sky. I can’t see one, but I don’t deny what others see, just because I can’t see it.

So so it is - as I say - more nuanced. But as with HD UHD or 8k TV, we all have to decide what makes a difference for us. There is no right or wrong in any of it.

all the best

Andrew

I’m streaming Amazon “HD” through a beam, two 1’s and a sub. It definitely sounds better than SD, especially orchestral strings. The shrillness is gone. HD is well worth the money. 

Yes 16-bit/44.1 kHz, or perhaps 16-bit/48 kHz  rates are about as good as it can get for most folk. Which is what the AmazonHD audio service may achieve/can go upto.

Anything more than that though, in the ‘Amazon UltraHD’ world, is not going to make a difference at all (not to me at least) … although my dogs ears might prick up a little more, perhaps ?

It’s perhaps a ‘fair’ move that Amazon chose to bundle the HD/UltraHD services together under a ‘reasonable’ subscription charge, rather than trying to charge a further subscription for what would be just for my dogs listening pleasure.😀

I’m still extremely happy with 320 AAC or MP3, for general streaming/listening, truth be told, but I  guess my ears are old and not what they once were.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

What the hell happened?   Now Amazon says Sonos is not supported for HD, and it is Sonos that is blocking this.  
I know that “ultra” isn’t possible, but we can’t even stream CD quality now.
Amazon’s “ultra hd” playlists used to appear but now are gone.

I wonder if Quobuz is supported.

Is it just Amazon HD that is not supported or any Hi-Rez service?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

And ripping and storing in lossless format IS the way to go, particularly now that memory drives are so cheap.

I agree, When drives are cheap I don’t see any reason not to rip at CD quality. It’s a shame to charge more for CD quality streaming in the age of broadband as it’s still not straining most people’s bandwith, but I can see while many won’t pay the few extra pounds when the audio difference is inaudible (to most) 😋

andrew