Service News

Amazon Music HD Available on Sonos

• 17 September 2019
  • 111 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

111 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I just checked it out and it's absolutely not there, I thought it was but I must have been mis-remembering the FLAC listing in the Deezer app. That's what I get for posting so early in the morning... I'll make sure to bring it up with the team to see if it's supposed to be there, or something that can be added in the future.

Sorry folks for the inaccuracy.
@Ryan S , is this an upcoming feature? Doesn’t appear to exist currently.
Where in the app does it show the stream format for a song playing?

I've tried every tapping everywhere and can't find it.

Me neither. Logically one would expect to find it in the same place as with Deezer HiFi, i.e. the info or '...' menu.

In fact the more I poke around, the more I find functional deficiencies compared to Deezer HiFi, for example no means to 'favourite' a track or album into My Music. Basically it's a read-only client.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

In the Sonos app, it'll show the format the stream is playing so you can check if you're getting FLAC. And yes, it'll play the highest quality possible automatically. Amazon Music HD on Sonos is the 16-bit (CD quality) audio streams, and I believe Amazon has the same library in most formats, and will serve to Sonos the HD 16-bit streams.

Where in the app does it show the stream format for a song playing?

I've tried every tapping everywhere and can't find it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Will "access" to Amazon's Ultra HD music content allow me to play it via my Sonos setup - or will the output be similar to my Deezer content?

The output will be the CD quality HD content, similar to Deezer's highest quality streams.

Ryan S,

Could you please explain "just update your Sonos app"?

Apparently, I already have the latest Android controller version, which was released on Sept 10.

It's just going into the Sonos app and under settings checking for updates. Though a new update may not show up if you're on the latest build, that act also triggers a fresh music service listing download for Sonos players. So while the app doesn't change, some of the software may.

Since the Amazon Music app within Sonos does not have the "SD/HD/Ultra HD" indicator found in the native Amazon Music app, how does one know what stream resolution/bitrate is being played through Sonos?

Will Sonos always play the highest quality stream, up to and including a 16/44.1 FLAC stream?

For music in Ultra HD 24/96 in the native app, does Sonos get a HD 16/44.1 downsampled version?

I realize that Sonos can only handle 16/44.1, so I'm trying to verify exactly what resolution/bitrate Sonos is getting with the new Amazon Music HD service.

In the Sonos app, it'll show the format the stream is playing so you can check if you're getting FLAC. And yes, it'll play the highest quality possible automatically. Amazon Music HD on Sonos is the 16-bit (CD quality) audio streams, and I believe Amazon has the same library in most formats, and will serve to Sonos the HD 16-bit streams.

EDIT: I crossed off the above. Sorry, I was incorrectly remembering this. I'll make sure to let the team know it's being requested.
Userlevel 1
I'd also like to know how we can confirm if HD tracks are playing through Sonos Connect when using the latest iOS controller app. I had to re-install both the Amazon music iOS app & Windows desktop app to see HD tracks (as advised by Amazon support) so I'm skeptical it will just start working through Sonos. Should there be a HD or UltraHD badge in the Sonos app when playing Amazon HD tracks?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Ryan S,

Could you please explain "just update your Sonos app"?

Apparently, I already have the latest Android controller version, which was released on Sept 10.

Since the Amazon Music app within Sonos does not have the "SD/HD/Ultra HD" indicator found in the native Amazon Music app, how does one know what stream resolution/bitrate is being played through Sonos?

Will Sonos always play the highest quality stream, up to and including a 16/44.1 FLAC stream?

For music in Ultra HD 24/96 in the native app, does Sonos get a HD 16/44.1 downsampled version?

I realize that Sonos can only handle 16/44.1, so I'm trying to verify exactly what resolution/bitrate Sonos is getting with the new Amazon Music HD service.
Will "access" to Amazon's Ultra HD music content allow me to play it via my Sonos setup - or will the output be similar to my Deezer content?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi getjams, the team is working on bringing Amazon Unlimited HD streams to Sonos using voice control with Alexa, more to come soon and we’ll share here when it’s available.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The FAQ says:

Which Amazon devices support Amazon Music HD?

Alexa-enabled Echo devices (2nd generation and later), Fire TVs and Fire Tablets all support HD quality audio.

What about Sonos speakers with Alexa built in? Will they play music in HD via voice commands?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
According to a comment on this thread, Alexa-initiated playback is not streaming in HD. Is that correct?

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/amazon-music-hd-6830054