Amazon Music Enhancements are here - Search Improvements and New Account Types

• 14 October 2016
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12114 replies
Great news everyone, there are some big improvements coming to Amazon Music on Sonos. Amazon is now offering a new tier of account service too which you can read about here. The new tier, Unlimited, is available on Sonos and includes their Unlimited Playlists, Stations and access to their full library of tens of millions million songs.

Now with the Prime Music or Unlimited Music accounts you'll be able to search your Library (purchased and uploaded tracks) and the Amazon Catalog (all their music). You’ll now see all their artists, albums and songs available through Sonos search.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
How does this work?

How do you play ANY Amazon Music Unlimited? I signed up for the account, added the Amazon Music service, but only see the few albums I bought from Amazon, and search returns nothing for any artist I have tried yet. Thx
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey mushroomhunter, the Unlimited accounts are only available on Sonos in Germany, the UK, and US. If you're in one of those three, your account can be added to Sonos, and you should be able to search and play through their service. Make sure when you go to add it on Sonos, you're adding a full Amazon Music account, not just a cloud account.

What you're describing sounds like just the cloud player account, not the full Prime or Unlimited options.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I'm in the US, have Amazon Prime, and had signed up for a free trial for Amazon Music Unlimited. I added Amazon Music service to Sonos, but all I could see were the CDs I bought from Amazon, and some Prime stuff. If I tried to search for albums or artists, I never found anything. No Dylan, Beatles, Stones etc.

is there a trick to getting Unlimited to work? I had Amazon support trying to help me and they could not get search to work either. I could not find any Unlimited music. In fact they made things worse by cancelling my free trial, asking me to signup as a paid subscriber, could not get that to work either, then cancelled the paid subscription w/o my consent, billed me for a month, and never gave me the promised $10 credit for having erroneously cancelling my trial. So now I'm working with them to get something back to try again if it really is supposed to work.

Do you have to also install some service from Amazon? Somehow register Sonos devices? My Unlimited account showed no devices were registered, but clearly showed I had an Unlimited account in effect. And the Sonos service seemed to have authorized just fine and worked to some extent. Is there some time delay factor? I've never played any music from the Amazon cloud but this did feel like the Prime account. How do you subscribe to one vs. the other? All I found in Sonos services was "Amazon Music" and nothing else for Amazon. Thanks, Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There isn't any special software on the Sonos end of things, though you would need to be updated to the latest version of the Sonos software, 6.4. I think 6.3 would work too, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Other than that, the players will connect with your Amazon Music account and if it's Unlimited all of those options should be available. You'll want to make sure Sonos is linked with the right account. So under Music Services please remove all of the Amazon Music accounts you have linked on Sonos. Then, go ahead and add the service back, choose to Authorize, and when it takes you to the web page make sure you're signed in on Amazon with the right credentials.

That's all you should need to do on the Sonos side of things. Aside from that, when you go to search on Sonos, you need to specify that you are selecting "Amazon Music" as the search source as it defaults to Your Library (your library on Amazon).
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
That sounds exactly like what I did and was the first and only Amazon account I ever tried to add.

Can you possibly post a screen shot what Amazon Unlimited search should look like? I only saw Browse and My Music. And the search window while in Unlimited never found any music do matter what I searched for.

I've got a ticket open with Amazon, so if they can give me Unlimited back, I'll try again.

Thanks, Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Here's what the search bar looks like for the desktop controller.

This is where you select to search the Amazon Music catalog.

The biggest difference between the two service tiers on Sonos is the amount of tracks available. Amazon Music Unlimited has a much larger collection. See here for a bit of a breakdown between the two.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Thanks. I saw someone else post that same image, but I could not get that Amazon sub menu that shows My Music and the checked Amazon Music menu items.

Are you just hovering over the main Amazon Music drop down entry to get that secondary popup? I could not get it by hovering nor by clicking. I was on the latest production release.

Thanks, Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Dave, sorry for the delay. On the Mac or Windows PC it's just hover over the line and it'll pull up the second menu. Which controller are you trying to use?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Tried the PC and Android, and did not get that sub menu. Now I don't have the AMU service so can't try anymore. Thx.