Alexa, play Spotify

• 21 November 2017
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12269 replies
We’re excited to bring Spotify voice control for Alexa to Sonos with Spotify Premium.

Just ask Alexa for your favorite playlist, artist, album or song, then pause, resume, skip and adjust the volume.

For more details on Spotify and Alexa, take a look here.

Something to try?
“Alexa, play David Bowie on Spotify.”
"Alexa, Play Ultimate Indie playlist
“Alexa, play songs for working out.”

To make sure you’re listening to Spotify, you can set it as your default music service within the Alexa app.

Go to Settings in the Alexa app.
Scroll to Accounts and select Music & Media.
Select Choose default music services.
Under Default music library choose Spotify.
Tap Done.

After you’ve done this if Alexa isn’t recognizing Spotify as your default service, have Alexa discover devices.

If you don't want to change your default, just add "on Spotify" to your command to play from Spotify.

Amazon Alexa is available on the Sonos One in the US, UK, and Germany. We are committed to bringing Alexa voice control to Sonos in new regions in the future as well.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Ah thanks Ryan. I’m guessing it’s because I was trying a personalized playlist. I try playing around with it more when I get home.

So we don't need to specify the room anymore?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

So we don't need to specify the room anymore?

If you're using the Sonos One, it will play on itself with no room name needed. Using a Dot on to play to Sonos, you need a room name.
Hi everyone,

My query is not quite as complex as everyone elses;
I have a single Sonos One and a single Spotify Premium account.
Spotify is set to the default and requesting a song works fine.
However, it categorically will NOT play my Playlists from Spotify.
Alexa clearly understands the request because she says "I cannot find X Playlist" or something along those lines.
I've tried adding the Playlists to My Sonos but she doesn't like that either.

Example: I currently 'follow' Release Radar and have it downloaded in my Spotify Playlists
"Alexa, Play Release Radar Playlist" (sometimes throw in a cheeky "on Spotify")
"Cannot find Release Radar Playlist"
Why not you $£"%£?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Jake,

In order to play the personalized playlists (like Discover Weekly or Release Radar) via voice, you must first Follow the playlist in the Spotify app and specify "playlist" in your instruction. So it sounds like you're doing it correctly. To confirm, do you have trouble with all your playlists, or just that Release Radar?

There's a rather long thread here on the Spotify community about Alexa having trouble playing playlists from Spotify. Generally, their suggestions have been to try changing the name of the playlist or setting it available for offline play (assuming it doesn't play, to begin with. There shouldn't be any issue with using the Spotify playlists on Sonos. Your syntax looks correct so that shouldn't be a problem.

Do you see the command showing up correctly in your Alexa app, with the correct spelling for everything that it's trying to find?

You may want to try disabling voice services on Sonos, then adding it back in and re-enabling the skill. Just to make sure all the connections are good. If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest that you give us a call on our support line.
After reading the reviews of the Sonos “skill” I think I just need to accept that this doesn’t work and I should have bought a google speaker.
It may be different in other countries
But in the UK I’m just accepting it doesn’t work.
Shame.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The crapness of alexa’s ability to recognise Spotify playlists lies with amazon/Alexa/Spotify and not with the device it is playing on. Same issue with all our echos also (ie nothing to do with Sonos)
Hi Jake,

In order to play the personalized playlists (like Discover Weekly or Release Radar) via voice, you must first Follow the playlist in the Spotify app and specify "playlist" in your instruction. So it sounds like you're doing it correctly. To confirm, do you have trouble with all your playlists, or just that Release Radar?

There's a rather long thread here on the Spotify community about Alexa having trouble playing playlists from Spotify.

Thanks for the link Ryan! An obscure post on there solved it for me, even though I can hardly believe it worked:

- Went to my Amazon.ca account
- Navigate to "Your Content and Devices". A banner at the top said "Your default Kindle Store is currently set to Amazon.com. Go to the Manage Your Content and Devices page at Amazon.ca." It offered to convert my amazon.com account into an amazon Canadian account, which I followed the steps
- Unlinked and relinked with Spotify and it works perfectly when I am asking for my own playlists.

Now I can play Discover Weekly and Release Radar. Insane!