Alexa - Now Playing on Sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12389 replies
Available with Sonos version 8.0, you can control your entire Sonos system with Amazon Alexa enabled devices. It’s as easy as saying, “Alexa, play music in the kitchen,” and music will play on your Sonos speaker in the kitchen.

A beta Sonos skill for Alexa is available to use today. For step by step instructions, take a look here.

In short, update to Sonos 8.0. Then, search for and add the Alexa Skill for Sonos in the Alexa app. Sign in through Alexa to your system and authenticate with Sonos and Amazon. Finally, discover devices on Alexa and you’ll be ready to go.

Check out our step by step video here:

Don’t have an Alexa device yet? Coming October 24th, Sonos One will be available with Amazon Alexa built in. Read more about the new smart speaker for music lovers here.

Read more here about Alexa and Sonos in our blog, Alexa, meet Sonos.

What can Alexa do on Sonos?

You can use Alexa to start playing from Amazon Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, TuneIn Radio, and as of November 22nd, Spotify is working with Alexa on Sonos.

Also, any Alexa device on your account can use basic controls, such as play, pause, volume, and skip, on your Sonos players. This works for all services and music on Sonos, started through the Sonos app.

We have a list of the commands that your Alexa is listening for to control Sonos here, check them out and share your favorites.

Alexa will use your default music app, but you can change which one that is in the Alexa app. You can tell Alexa to play using a different music service on Sonos just by asking. There are steps here to set or change your default music service in Alexa.

If you have any trouble, please feel free to take a look here to start, or ask any question in the Amazon Alexa and Sonos forum.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

143 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Does this mean that we will again be able to play Audible files across Sonos?
It's coming. You'll also be able to use the Audible app to play directly to Sonos. That's further out, but should be ready this year.
Disappointed that I can't control my own local music library and playlists. I'm sure there must be a lot of people who would like to voice control their local library by asking to play albums and in particular playlists. Is this likely to come in the future?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Does this mean that we will again be able to play Audible files across Sonos?
It's coming. You'll also be able to use the Audible app to play directly to Sonos. That's further out, but should be ready this year.

...so the "summer 2017" commitment to Audible is now "further out"??????
Userlevel 1
Badge
VERY disappointed in this. Sonos have said all along that they were working on getting this perfect before release as is always the Sonos way but you've fallen way short this time and I'm sure you know it. Probably held to ransom by Amazon. I spent over £1000 on speakers nearly 2 years ago due to reading the initial press release which stated 'early 2017' update for Alexa. This was then changed to 'some time in 2017'. Before anyone questions this or links to the original press release I've heard it all before. I also have links which state 'early'. Anyhow that's all in the past now and we've been patient as Sonos have always delivered quality but.... we're now told that this amazing new feature is only useful to people with Amazon Music. I'm sure Sonos are over a barrel here but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. Some press releases say Spotify will be ready by Christmas some say 'soon' which could mean anything. Which is correct? I've been waiting 2 years for this and expected perfection as Sonos promised is several community posts but they've fallen way, way short and its left a sour taste. This is poor.
Finally Sonos integration with Alexa has arrived but very dissapointing to discover that you cannot play music from your own music library..................you can only play music from one of the supported online streaming services. So Sonos, what about all those people out there who have invested time and money in creating a music library that is complete with all the metadata needed to search for and play music? For example, if I use the Sonos mobile app or the Sonos windows version app, I can successfully search for songs by artist within my own library..........................when will this be available via Alexa? :?
I, like much of the user community, have been waiting for this for almost 2 years and very disappointed with Sonos' failure.
All you can accurately do is speak for yourself, not for "much of the user community", surely. Sonos says that the very large use of its installed base now is to stream music for services and they have a commercial interest in the validity of this statement.
I have a well established local NAS, but of late I find myself listening to Apple music playlists a lot more. And for NAS use, voice control of everything except the first action is available.
IMO therefore, calling this a "failure" as far as much of the user community is concerned, is a considerable stretch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Kumar, it's definitely been busier here than normal; that's a great sign. And we've got some more people working on things here, with hopefully more to come.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Will Google music ever work with this? Don't tell me I've waited a year and will have to move to Spotify 😠
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Will Google music ever work with this? Don't tell me I've waited a year and will have to move to Spotify :@
Billy, you'll probably need to be more specific here. If you mean will Google Music ever support streaming via Google Home voice control onto Sonos... that's Sonos goal, but I don't know that it's a near-term release.

Can I speak to an Echo Dot and have Alexa respond through a dedicated Sonos speaker?
Really good question. I know that's the behavior when you pair with a Bluetooth speaker, but I'd almost expect the answer to be "no" here (unless it's the Sonos One of course). I'm not sure of the answer though, and like you would love to know. Ryan is going to be so busy on here all day :)

Edit: Oops, thanks Ryan, I didn't even have a chance to summon you Beetlejuice-style before you responded.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Ryan S

I love you guys and the amazing work you do, great job with bringing voice control to Amazon Echo. So far so good for me but could do with a comprehensive list of voice commands.

Looking forward to seeing this grow.....

Dave
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Can Alexa be used to start and pause your own mp3s being served up by the SONOS app, can I ask it to play my Jazz playlist? Thanks.
Hi Terk, not that this time. Alexa only has access to the Alexa music services at this time.

Is playing a local library on the roadmap? The alexa thing is pretty underwhelming in that it does less than an echo. Maybe cool for those who don't have one yet, but most people who are real "Alexa music services" users probably already have an echo.
Userlevel 1
Badge
You are having a laugh! We’ve waited all this time for this integration and can’t even play the music in our own Sonos music libraries? I have my Sonos library, a copy of it in Google Music, I use Pocket Casts because it syncs with Sonos and I can’t play any of them. This is hugely disappointing. Is it going to be resolved?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
So our Sono's setup is our speakers for the family room TV. I was able to tell Alexa to play music in the Family Room. Is there a way to switch the Sono's back to the TV as the source? Or do I need to use the Sono's App to do that?
At this time, you will have to use the app to switch back. Unless the TV is turned off and autoplay would switch it back to the source you want (maybe?).

Edit: Sorry Ryan beat me to the punch again. He should look into doing this professionally.
Userlevel 3
Badge
So if I upload my library to Amazon music, will it then be available via Alexa (ignoring any quality issues here) or will it only be Music in Amazon’s streaming service?

Yes, this will work. I've uploaded a small number of tracks to the Amazon cloud and then they're available to play via Alexa. You can't automatically upload a playlist, though. You'll need to recreate the playlist after you do the upload.

I have a large library of my own music in iTunes, and found the Amazon upload process slow, so I decided to use the Amazon Music Unlimited service for streaming music I already own, as well as for exploring new music. I've created an iTunes playlist for music I own that's not on the Amazon streaming service and play that via Sonos. I haven't uploaded it to Amazon's cloud so I can't play it on my Alexa devices, only on Sonos (without the new voice control), but I'm OK with that. However, the option is there to upload that playlist to the Amazon cloud, and then it would also be available to play on my Alexa devices or on the Sonos devices using the new voice control.

I wasn't surprised that my local music would not start playing via voice control with the Sonos-Alexa integration, since I couldn't play the local music via cloud streaming on the Alexa devices either. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that if I start playing local music through the Sonos app, I can then use the voice commands to control further play. I wasn't expecting to be able to do that. I had assumed I'd have to do all aspects of playing local music through the Sonos app, so this is actually a nice perk.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
VERY disappointed in this. Sonos have said all along that they were working on getting this perfect before release as is always the Sonos way but you've fallen way short this time and I'm sure you know it. Probably held to ransom by Amazon. I spent over £1000 on speakers nearly 2 years ago due to reading the initial press release which stated 'early 2017' update for Alexa. This was then changed to 'some time in 2017'. Before anyone questions this or links to the original press release I've heard it all before. I also have links which state 'early'. Anyhow that's all in the past now and we've been patient as Sonos have always delivered quality but.... we're now told that this amazing new feature is only useful to people with Amazon Music. I'm sure Sonos are over a barrel here but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. Some press releases say Spotify will be ready by Christmas some say 'soon' which could mean anything. Which is correct? I've been waiting 2 years for this and expected perfection as Sonos promised is several community posts but they've fallen way, way short and its left a sour taste. This is poor.

It is possible to have what you want, but it takes a bit of effort and setting up your own amazon dev account etc. Its not as daunting as it sounds, but will require a spare afternoon or evening to get it all set up - and a pc running to receive commands and relay to sonos.

However, grouping, ungrouping, spotify, own music libraries - its all possible if you follow directions in these places:
https://github.com/rgraciano/echo-sonos
https://github.com/jishi/node-sonos-http-api

Its not as easy as the official release, and you have to say to alexa "ask sonos to..." but you will at least have the functionality you want. Why Sonos and Amazon spent a year to release something with far less functionality than this existing amateur solution is unknown.
My congrats to the SONOS team, this has been a long time coming and I for one appreciate the "beta" being released and look forward to the GA version. A few comments/observations:

1. Room/Alexa/Zone names: I have about the same number of alexa devices as I do SONOS devices, room names were a big problem, I had to edit the names of the SONOS devices and/or the Alexa devices to be unique, just an FYI for anyone moving forward with this.. Alexa does not like it when you have an echo named "Kitchen" and a SONOS device named "Kitchen Stereo", it seems alexa just focuses on the word "Kitchen" and by default it plays on my Echo. I also read some comments about songs being paused in the queue on an alexa and when you say resume or similar Alexa music command expecting it to resume your SONOS devices it just resumes in the echo/dot's queue. My suggest here would be to allow us to set defaults for music playback, something like "Alexa, set default playback to SONOS" . I doubt Amazon really cares where their music plays or where you here the "OK" from when you buy more stuff via voice..

2. While I understand the frustration from those who want their DOT to have the default output be mapped via the SONOS system to a nearby Play 1/3/5 etc.. I know this will probably be tough to allocate resources for this since it's probably viewed internally as a direct threat to the new SONOS ONE. A DOT + Play 1 would be very similar in price to the new SONOS ONE if not cheaper. HOWEVER... I do already have a few Play1s and DOTS so... It would be a really nice feature to have for all of us loyal SONOS fans who already spent a grand or more on your speakers, have a bunch of DOTS, and aren't relishing the idea of replacing every DOT with a $249 SONOS ONE. Consider this feature a customer relations move. I'll end up buying a few SONOS ONEs anyway, but it would make me a lot less bitter about it !

3. Group commands.. One of my top priorities for the GA version. "Alexa, add barn to the kitchen", "Alexa, add Master to the group", "Alexa, remove Master from the group"

4. Local Music Library support, another top priority. Although, I think I read somewhere in this thread someone saying they uploaded their music to Amazon's cloud which solved the functional problem, might be difficult for people with a sh&tload of songs though.

Again, my congrats, it's a really good start. The announcement made my day !
Sorry but this is Rubbish and mostly useless. To call this Alexa integration with my Sonos system is misleading at best. When I can ask Alexa to play content from my Sonos library on a particular Sonos device....then you can claim success. I, like much of the user community, have been waiting for this for almost 2 years and very disappointed with Sonos' failure.
Really, really poor that Spotify doesn't work with Alexa - one of the reasons we bought the new One unit and now I find we can't access most of our music through voice control ? What's the point. Very disappointed:@
A damp squib indeed. I have a bunch of Sonos devices throughout the house and even have an Amazon Echo which I was advised would eventually be able to control my music verbally. I then discover I would need a Sonos One. I have Spotify Premium account thatI have had for some time and pre-ordered a Sonus One from Amazon. The combination I have is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Sonos may as well have produced a toaster this time around. Truly bad form!

I don't know where you got the idea that you need to buy a Sonos One in order to control Sonos via Alexa, but it is 100% false. All that is needed is an Alexa device, which you have with the Echo Dot. I don't own a Sonos One, and have been controlling my Sonos via an Echo and a Dot since Oct. 4th.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi Ryan
I’ve successfully controlled my sonos speakers with my Echo dot and all works fine EXCEPT when trying to play TuneIn Radio on a speaker. So if I say “Alexa, play BBC Radio2 on Kitchen” the music comes from the Echo not sonos. Am I doing something wrong.
Also if I just ask Alexa to “play some music in kitchen” what determines the source of that music.
Finally is it planned to integrate Deezer Sonos and Alexa?

Hello! You must say "Alexa, play TuneIn Station BBC Radio2 on Kitchen"...
Glad things are now getting there for you Jim...

These were the set of basic commands I started with:

Basic list of commands
Alexa, pause/stop/resume the music in the (room name)
Alexa, skip/next in the (room name)
Alexa, play the next/previous song/track in the (room name)
Alexa, resume the music in the (room name)
Alexa, next song/track in the (room name)
Alexa, previous song/track in the (room name)
Alexa, skip song/track in the (room name)
Alexa, what's playing in the (room name)?
Alexa, restart the music in the (room name) ... stops current playing track and restarts it from the beginning
Alexa, replay the music in the (room name) ... when track finishes it will play it again

Note: Skip, Previous, Restart and Replay commands cannot be used with TuneIn radio, and previous will not work on Pandora and iHeartRadio.... (I guess these things are obvious, but l mention them anyway)

General volume commands
Alexa, turn it up/down in the (room name)
Alexa, louder/quieter in the (room name)
Alexa, set the volume to 3 (30%) in the (room name) [0-10 volume levels]
Alexa, softer in the (room name)
Alexa, mute the (room name)
Alexa, unmute the (room name)

These were my basic list of Alexa commands that me and the family used to initially get things going... I will mention that in some instances, the room name is not always required at the end of a few of the instructions, but we chose to include the room name, as it made things simple and much easier to remember... and the commands seemed to work everytime.

Hope that helps things too.
Mike,

That’s exactly what many of us do, by using the Sonos software to point at our local libraries ( on our computer or NAS ) . I’ll admit to occasional use of internet sources, but over 95% of my listening is purely of my own collection.
Badge
Great work Sonos and Amazon. Bring on Spotify!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Can I speak to an Echo Dot and have Alexa respond through a dedicated Sonos speaker?
Following on from terk’s message - is there a plan for Alexa be able to access songs in my Sonos music library (mp3s)? If so, any idea when this is scheduled to happen?

Also, I note that grouping rooms isn’t available at the mo. Is this planned for a future update?

Loving the work so far though. Working well 🙂