Alexa - Now Playing on Sonos

Show first post

143 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Forgive me if this has been covered but this forum is a bit of a rat's nest for answers sometime.
Has there been another update to the microphone sensitivity on the Sonos:One???
I know there was one back in January, which made it far more sensitive and quite frankly wonderfully useful compared to the shouting required beforehand.
Over the past 2 or so week however (I know I performed a controller update but do not remember a speaker update - I could be mistaken) we've found ourselves having to repeat ourselves once again far more often. The speaker often just doesn't hear us - not quite as bad as beforehand but pretty close. After that first update I could finally just speaking in a normal talking voice, even a low talking voice, at the other side of the room (provided the room was fairly quiet) and Alexa would respond correctly most times. That simply doesn't happen anymore - we're back to loudly raising our voices and it's making me crazy, especially since even that doesn't always work.
Skelton wrote:

billythepuppet wrote:

No I mean asking alexa to play specific music on sonos and it plays via google music, shocking that only a few music services are supported after this long wait.

Sorry, I wasn't clear with my framing.

If you think about what's happening with the Alexa integration it shouldn't be too surprising that only items supported by Alexa are supported. Again, Alexa is doing the heavy lifting of answering your requests, so it's not a separate entity from Sonos that can process it.

I won't pretend to understand the finer points of the integration enough to declare that it's possible for "special triggers" that Alexa could listen for and initiate processes back down in Sonos to work around that limitation. It seems logically possible, but undoubtedly cumbersome. There may also be some murky legal issues about back-dooring into a service, but also not a lawyer.

Is playing a local library on the roadmap?

I hope this is the first priority for these "non-Alexa" items myself.

Hi Terk, not that this time. Alexa only has access to the Alexa music services at this time.

For clarification Ryan, it is possible to perform basic controls (volume, next track, etc) once opened through the Sonos app, correct? Not ideal but much better than nothing.

I was mis-sold a Sonos One by a Sonos sales person in John Lewis. I made it perfectly clear I wanted to voice control my local library, and not to sign up to a music service. There was no mention that it will not do this. So I will be returning it to store for a full refund. I am not waiting for this to be added "some time in the future".
Since the salesman who mis-led you was a John Lewis employee, not a Sonos employee, I hope you’ll be sure to make your complaint known to John Lewis management.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
SteveBateman999 wrote:

I was mis-sold a Sonos One by a Sonos sales person in John Lewis. I made it perfectly clear I wanted to voice control my local library, and not to sign up to a music service. There was no mention that it will not do this. So I will be returning it to store for a full refund. I am not waiting for this to be added "some time in the future".

As I'm sure you're aware John Lewis sells a wide range of product lines all of which have their own distinct functionality. I'm sure the sales person was not aware they were mis-leading you and, like you, expected that this feature were available (you can by the way control your local library to some extent depending on the state of the queue). Perhaps, especially tis time of year, a little humility would be in order and you might take the opportunity to ensure the particular sales person was made aware of, politely, their gap in knowledge. This would help others in future and yo'd be no worse off than you were before.
Airgetlam wrote:

Since the salesman who mis-led you was a John Lewis employee, not a Sonos employee, I hope you’ll be sure to make your complaint known to John Lewis management.

I am not sure who the sales person worked for, but she was wearing a Sonos tee-shirt and lanyard. There was no problem getting a refund from the John Lewis store, as they agreed with me that it was a major limitation that was not made apparent.
Just because they take a return certainly doesn't mean they actually agree with you. In the states, most places will take a return, no reason given, no questions asked, for 30 days after Christmas. Placating the customer is just good business, so I wouldn't be reading too much into the situation.
The real shame here is that you will miss out on all the great qualities of the Sonos system, for the sake of a feature that most of us have lived happily without for most of the time we have been enjoying Sonos. For me voice control is a bonus, and I use it where it is helpful alongside various mobile devices and the physical speaker buttons.

Sonos voice control is constantly improving, but I'd be a happy user without it. It's not as if there is a better alternative out there. The real loser from all this is you, because you would probably have loved your Sonos system as much as we do. In the end, it's all about the music.
Well John B, I'm sure the poster will be happy with one of the many competitors who have Alexa control of a local library up and working fine. :$
The default disclaimer applies:

Q: How can you tell when a salesman is lying?
A: His lips are moving.
I agree that John Lewis refunded me as they provide good customer service, and I may have had more of a struggle with some other stores. This is why I go to John Lewis. However I was misled by the sales person wearing Sonos attire, whoever she works for, as she did not point out I could not use voice control in the way I described. We spoke for.5 minutes, She knew I had other Sonos speakers and that I stored all my music on my network. She knew I did not use streaming services and that I did not wish to start. We even discussed how recording artists are ripped off as they get so little from having their music streamed. And she knew my interest was in the voice control feature. She did not lie as such. But she also did not say it can't
do that.

I own other Sonos speakers (Play 1s and Play 3s), which I am generally happy with (apart from the limit on the number of files - another limitation that should be much more clearly stated). I was not really in need of another speaker, but the novelty of voice control swung it (probably against my better judgement). So for me I was not getting any extra features I could use unless I changed the fundamentals of how I choose to listen to music. I was only getting another speaker that for me did what the others already do. Not a step forward, just more of the same that I did not need.
So she never actually said that you could do something which you never explicitly asked, she just never said it couldn't? Damn her mind reading skills! :8
I made it perfectly clear what I wanted to do, and how my music is stored. If she knew it was not possible but said nothing I am sure John Lewis' would be very concerned about how this reflects on them, as it reduces the standards they work hard to maintain. To their credit they put the matter right by giving me a full refund. End of matter.
by far the worst tech support i have ever encountered
seanjameskane wrote:

by far the worst tech support i have ever encountered

What is?
SteveBateman999 wrote:

I made it perfectly clear what I wanted to do, and how my music is stored. If she knew it was not possible but said nothing I am sure John Lewis' would be very concerned about how this reflects on them, as it reduces the standards they work hard to maintain. To their credit they put the matter right by giving me a full refund. End of matter.

This was a dealbreaker issue for you, and yet, apparently, you didn't actually ask the question, "Can I fully control my locally stored music with Alexa?". If you had, I am sure the salesperson would have said "No". Why didn't you ask that straightforward question as it was absolutely critical? Instead of blaming somebody else for the misunderstanding.
John B wrote:

SteveBateman999 wrote:

This was a dealbreaker issue for you, and yet, apparently, you didn't actually ask the question, "Can I fully control my locally stored music with Alexa?". If you had, I am sure the salesperson would have said "No". Why didn't you ask that straightforward question as it was absolutely critical? Instead of blaming somebody else for the misunderstanding.

Yes I agree with John B here and the truth of the matter is, there is no similar device on the market anyway that can fully voice control a music library stored locally on NAS boxes, computers and such like, as Alexa, Siri etc have no access to such secure private locations inside a protected network.

At least Sonos and Amazon go part of the way and that is by placing a quantity of local songs onto a (speaker) device 'queue' you can voice control them to play/pause/skip/mute/stop/repeat/replay etc. and with the use of things like IFTTT, Yonomi and the Sonos API, you can voice control and play any saved local playlists and favourites. So there are quick and easy workarounds. Just excuses here I think, to get the money back after an obvious, but regretted, impulse buy, without doing the proper research first for themselves.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings