Alexa - Now Playing on Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

143 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Ken, yes I had read those and had tried various commands. Just tried again ..

"Alexa, play Capital London in the Kitchen" which she did happily.

"Alexa, stop Capital London in the Kitchen" she replied "Sorry, I don't know that one"

"Alexa, stop playback in the Kitchen" she replies with the "I can only change the payback mode..." as before.

"Alexa, stop Kitchen" her lights flash but she does nothing.

Ideas ? Thanks.

Howbout, kitchen stop
Hi again,

I've followed all of Ken's steps. Running Sonos 8.1.1 on all 3 devices. Alexa knows them all. I can successfully have Alexa play the radio on the Kitchen Sonos

"Alexa, play Capital London in the Kitchen" - works every time.

I still can't stop it whatever I try.

"Alexa, stop Capital London in the Kitchen"
"Alexa, stop playback in the Kitchen"
"Alexa, stop music in the Kitchen"
"Alexa, stop in the Kitchen"

She often replies with "I can change the playback mode only when music is playing" or just flashes her lights and ignores me.

Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks all, Jim.
Hi again,

I've followed all of Ken's steps. Running Sonos 8.1.1 on all 3 devices. Alexa knows them all. I can successfully have Alexa play the radio on the Kitchen Sonos

She often replies with "I can change the playback mode only when music is playing" or just flashes her lights and ignores me.

Hi again,

Jim,

I can first of all say that each and every one of the stop commands you have listed are working here for me, as I have just tried each one.

Something else to try:

Go into the Sonos app and group all your Sonos rooms together and play something.... then stop the music and ungroup them all back to their original separate rooms and try the commands again.

Note it is important to pause (albeit briefly) after the Alexa wake word to allow the volume to dip... but I’m sure you realise that already.

So i would go with this ...

“Alexa, (short pause) stop the music in the kitchen.”

Finally did you ensure you were running the latest version of the Sonos beta skill?

You could also try going to this link:

https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html (don’t use a mobile browser as it might just take you to the mobile Alexa app)

The link is the web portal for your Amazon echo settings ... you will need to login and forget all your Sonos speakers here and disable and re-enable the Sonos skill instead of using the Amazon app. Then rescan to find all your speakers etc.

The web portal is a bit more robust compared to the mobile app and it may work better for you.

Anyhow those are my suggestions and if it still fails after that, I would submit a diagnostic and perhaps ask Sonos Support to kindly take a look to see what the problem is with your setup.

Like I say though, the commands you mention in your last post are all working here for me.

Ken
Jim,

If you do eventually go onto submit a diagnostic ... go to the settings in the web portal mentioned in my post above and go to the area entitled history and open up your recent voice command(s) that were heard/interpreted by Alexa and which she failed to respond to ...and submit the URL LINK to Sonos Support for the relevant voice commands alongside the diagnostic reference, as that will also help the support staff to see what the problem is..They also like a screenshot of the history screen too.

Hope that helps...

Ken
Jim,

Researching your matter a little further, the following stop command is not strictly a correct format:

In fact the command may work if the kitchen was the last device used and there is a pause after the word 'stop' ... but strictly speaking mentioning the name of the radio station is not a properly constructed stop command, albeit it will work on certain occasions if said with a short pause after the stop word.

You would be much better off saying one of the following commands instead (not an exhaustive list):

'Alexa, stop the music, in the kitchen'
'Alexa, stop the playback, in the kitchen'
'Alexa, stop, in the kitchen'

See how that works for you.
Excellent feedback Ken. I followed the link to the website version and did what you said. Just tried a stop , "Alexa, stop, in the kitchen" and hey presto she's done it. Interestingly that didn't show up in the chat log.

Thanks all the same, at least I can spread the word to the family so well know.

Jim
Glad things are now getting there for you Jim...

These were the set of basic commands I started with:

Basic list of commands
Alexa, pause/stop/resume the music in the (room name)
Alexa, skip/next in the (room name)
Alexa, play the next/previous song/track in the (room name)
Alexa, resume the music in the (room name)
Alexa, next song/track in the (room name)
Alexa, previous song/track in the (room name)
Alexa, skip song/track in the (room name)
Alexa, what's playing in the (room name)?
Alexa, restart the music in the (room name) ... stops current playing track and restarts it from the beginning
Alexa, replay the music in the (room name) ... when track finishes it will play it again

Note: Skip, Previous, Restart and Replay commands cannot be used with TuneIn radio, and previous will not work on Pandora and iHeartRadio.... (I guess these things are obvious, but l mention them anyway)

General volume commands
Alexa, turn it up/down in the (room name)
Alexa, louder/quieter in the (room name)
Alexa, set the volume to 3 (30%) in the (room name) [0-10 volume levels]
Alexa, softer in the (room name)
Alexa, mute the (room name)
Alexa, unmute the (room name)

These were my basic list of Alexa commands that me and the family used to initially get things going... I will mention that in some instances, the room name is not always required at the end of a few of the instructions, but we chose to include the room name, as it made things simple and much easier to remember... and the commands seemed to work everytime.

Hope that helps things too.
When I follow the instructions, and it says to search for 'Sonos' in the search bar, nothing comes up. How do I get that Sonos skill to appear?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
When I follow the instructions, and it says to search for 'Sonos' in the search bar, nothing comes up. How do I get that Sonos skill to appear?

Are you in the US, UK or Germany? If not, those are the only locations where the Alexa skill for Sonos is available. We're working to bring the Alexa skill to Canada in early 2018, and will be adding more countries as well in the future.

If you're in one of those countries, and still aren't seeing the skill, it'd be good to double check that you're using the right Amazon account in your Alexa app and any other Amazon apps on your mobile device.
I am indeed not in those 3 countries. Look forward to seeing it come to the Great White North sometime in 2018

thanks
Any plans to incorporate Deezer into Alexa.? When I bought my Sonos play:1 I received 12 months free Deezer, so naturally built my playlists in Deezer. Bit annoying my playlists aren't recognised by Alexa
Any plans to incorporate Deezer into Alexa.? When I bought my Sonos play:1 I received 12 months free Deezer, so naturally built my playlists in Deezer. Bit annoying my playlists aren't recognised by Alexa

Google is in the process of incorporating Deezer into its voice system, and Sonos will be incorporating Google Assistant sometime this year, so should just be a waiting game now. Deezer has long been available in Sonos.

https://www.deezer.com/googlehome
When will the Alexa in Sonos One be updated to allow the call function through the Alexa app?
I would guess that you may be better asking Amazon than Sonos on that. I believe (without proof, so take it with a grain of salt) that the call function is something that Amazon is reserving for their hardware, to boost sales of their own product, rather than allowing it on "Alexa enabled" devices like Sonos.
I only want to play my own music and playlists.
I do not want to own music from amazon/spotify and have to use bandwidth from the internet play my music/playlists.
Mike,

That’s exactly what many of us do, by using the Sonos software to point at our local libraries ( on our computer or NAS ) . I’ll admit to occasional use of internet sources, but over 95% of my listening is purely of my own collection.
no problem with the sonos playing playlists. Only problem is Alexa and Sonos one Alexa doesn’t recognise the playlists local library
Sonos has indicated in many threads that they are want to address this issue. It appears to be a bit complex.

However, you can do all other activities like resume, stop, skip, volume, using the voice commands.

Remember, all of "Alexa" lives in the cloud. And all the the programming/data that is dealt with is also in the cloud in some form or another. I suspect that the ability to use search etc on your local data will ultimately require it to live in the cloud in some manner, be it the actual data, or just a list of pointers. And right now, there's pretty much no infrastructure for user's data from Sonos to be in the cloud. All of the data is stored locally on your speaker.
Hi Bruce and thanks for the input.
A friend has a similar setup using bose speakers and amazon Alexa. He paid £5 for the use of some software which allows him to play his own playlists and recognises his iTunes library.
surely an company as sophisticated at Sonos with their superior speaker technology would match a £5 bit of software?
New to the whole Sonos and Alexa scene. Let's say i have 5 Echo Dots scattered around house, back porch, etc. 1 connected. with a 3.5 cable, to a Sonos Connect hooked up to a stereo. Is it possible to tell the Echo Dot that is in the back porch to play my song to back porch speakers? Will the Echo Dot in the back porch be able to communicate to the Echo Dot that is hooked up to the Sonos Connect? Would this be something to setup within the Alexa App or the Sonos App?

Also, would it be even easier to buy a couple of Sonos One Speakers with Alexa enabled and a Sonos Connect and do it that way? I would rather have an Echo Dot out in the back porch rather than a Sonos Speaker.

Thanks for the help in advance and sorry is this isn't the place to post. Been reading a lot about Sonos ecosystem and trying to grasp all the different ways I can upgrade my existing hardware to Sonos
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi selfser, any Alexa enabled device you have (assuming you're in a supported country) can tell any of your Sonos players in the house to play music using a supported service. That's using the Sonos skill for Alexa with no need for a line-in cable. Which means you wouldn't necessarily need a Dot with a line-out to the CONNECT. You could simply tell any of your Echos around the house to play music in that room.

With the line-in, you're using the CONNECT as a dumb speaker with the Dot as the source, in which case all of the commands available would be Echo based. So you can use something like Echo Multi-Room to potentially set up control, see here. But that would be a question best asked of the Alexa team, not Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Go with Ryan S suggestion
Hi selfser, any Alexa enabled device you have (assuming you're in a supported country) can tell any of your Sonos players in the house to play music using a supported service. That's using the Sonos skill for Alexa with no need for a line-in cable. Which means you wouldn't necessarily need a Dot with a line-out to the CONNECT. You could simply tell any of your Echos around the house to play music in that room.

With the line-in, you're using the CONNECT as a dumb speaker with the Dot as the source, in which case all of the commands available would be Echo based. So you can use something like Echo Multi-Room to potentially set up control, see here. But that would be a question best asked of the Alexa team, not Sonos.

Thank you so much for all the info. It is greatly appreciated
Badge
Any plans to incorporate Deezer into Alexa.? When I bought my Sonos play:1 I received 12 months free Deezer, so naturally built my playlists in Deezer. Bit annoying my playlists aren't recognised by AlexaI asked Deezer this week if they were going to offer a skill. I got a veiled yes to that.

So I suspect we will see either a skill or service integration between Deezer and Alexa in the nearish future.

Now, being in Canada, I saw that Bose released it's skill today on Amazon Alexa up here. Any update on when Sonos will make "the leap"?