Alexa - Now Playing on Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

143 replies

Not by name, no. But you can start playback using the controller app, and do volume changes, stop, resume, next, previous, etc using voice.
Really, really poor that Spotify doesn't work with Alexa - one of the reasons we bought the new One unit and now I find we can't access most of our music through voice control ? What's the point. Very disappointed:@
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Really, really poor that Spotify doesn't work with Alexa - one of the reasons we bought the new One unit and now I find we can't access most of our music through voice control ? What's the point. Very disappointed:@

I subscribe to Apple Music and was considering a move to Spotify Premium. Sadly can’t use either. Tunein is there which is okay, but this long anticipated integration of Alexa and Sonos is so far a bit of a damp squib.
Sorry but this is Rubbish and mostly useless. To call this Alexa integration with my Sonos system is misleading at best. When I can ask Alexa to play content from my Sonos library on a particular Sonos device....then you can claim success. I, like much of the user community, have been waiting for this for almost 2 years and very disappointed with Sonos' failure. having wasted 199.00 pounds on the new sonos combined alexa speaker I am very very disappointed -only rcvd today and now find out is next to useless - why would I bother purchasing all my past music and saving to NAS for my sonos to play and then add this latest speaker with alexa but it cant play my actual library - sadly I had not bothered to look in this forum to see that it would not play my collection - - SONOS did not advise me of this fact prior to purchase - I would not have wasted a penny otherwise - tol waste of money IMO and has put a downer on an already DULL DAY...
A damp squib indeed. I have a bunch of Sonos devices throughout the house and even have an Amazon Echo which I was advised would eventually be able to control my music verbally. I then discover I would need a Sonos One. I have Spotify Premium account thatI have had for some time and pre-ordered a Sonus One from Amazon. The combination I have is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Sonos may as well have produced a toaster this time around. Truly bad form!
A damp squib indeed. I have a bunch of Sonos devices throughout the house and even have an Amazon Echo which I was advised would eventually be able to control my music verbally. I then discover I would need a Sonos One. I have Spotify Premium account thatI have had for some time and pre-ordered a Sonus One from Amazon. The combination I have is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Sonos may as well have produced a toaster this time around. Truly bad form!

I don't know where you got the idea that you need to buy a Sonos One in order to control Sonos via Alexa, but it is 100% false. All that is needed is an Alexa device, which you have with the Echo Dot. I don't own a Sonos One, and have been controlling my Sonos via an Echo and a Dot since Oct. 4th.
"...and we’re working to bring Spotify controls in the future too.".
When will this happen Sonos?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Want an exercise in frustration? Try to get Alexa to play something in one of your Sonos zones.The only benefit that I have found with Alexa's Sonos skill is that it makes the complete failure in new redesign iPhone app marginally acceptable by comparison.

Total elapsed time; < 30 minutes. Steps: Plug in Echo Show, connect to network, Install Alexa App, add Sonos skill, attempt to play anything in Kitchen zone, fail miserably, box up Echo, list on Craigslist.
30 seconds - Check Alexa app for any duplicate names in smart devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
"...and we’re working to bring Spotify controls in the future too.".
When will this happen Sonos?

Our current timeline and plan is this Christmas.

@yoyohome, if you need a hand we're happy to help. Have you tried give us a call on our support line?
Badge
So many folks moaning about wasting money on Sonos (?!).... these are amazing speakers which are already working well with basic functions on Echo Dot v2 with Tunein across each of my speakers (play1, play3 and playbar) just make sure there's no name conflicts. I also have access to Spotify right now so not sure how this has happened?! The default provider has been set to Spotify with Alexa and each time the track or artist is requested the source is stated at the start.
Ryan, it is quite clear that Alexa has raised the traffic here by an order of magnitude and you are swamped. I can't see this changing in the future as Sonos moves into its targeted speakers for smart homes market. Sonos therefore also needs to also quickly step up official resources available to respond in time to this traffic. It can't be left to the usual unpaid suspects.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Kumar, it's definitely been busier here than normal; that's a great sign. And we've got some more people working on things here, with hopefully more to come.
Is it likely that i will be able to contol music from my Deezer Account and my NAS drive?
Hi Ryan
I’ve successfully controlled my sonos speakers with my Echo dot and all works fine EXCEPT when trying to play TuneIn Radio on a speaker. So if I say “Alexa, play BBC Radio2 on Kitchen” the music comes from the Echo not sonos. Am I doing something wrong.
Also if I just ask Alexa to “play some music in kitchen” what determines the source of that music.
Finally is it planned to integrate Deezer Sonos and Alexa?
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi Ryan
I’ve successfully controlled my sonos speakers with my Echo dot and all works fine EXCEPT when trying to play TuneIn Radio on a speaker. So if I say “Alexa, play BBC Radio2 on Kitchen” the music comes from the Echo not sonos. Am I doing something wrong.
Also if I just ask Alexa to “play some music in kitchen” what determines the source of that music.

Hello! You must say "Alexa, play TuneIn Station BBC Radio2 on Kitchen"...
From my first dabbling with a standalone Echo, it is immediately clear that the rules of logic and precision as are needed in using computers or addressing emails haven't magically disappeared with voice. A lot of the grief has to be on account of users not getting this. As soon as Echo was installed at my home, my wife chanced upon it and said - Play some pop music Alexa - and then looked at me in the ensuing silence. So I first need to learn the syntax and then train her for a bit...
Hi Ryan

The Alexa instruction “Alexa, play BBC Radio2 on Kitchen” will in fact work ...BUT... with some tune-in radio stations there is often some delay. I have noted that the app tends to start the radio stations much quicker ...and one explanation that I was given for that, is the Sonos app starts a local source for the station, but the Amazon Alexa process, currently starts a national version of the station, rather than the local version and this brings about a slightly longer delay in some (but not all) instances.

So if you wait a while, BBC RADIO 2 will start to play. You may find a different radio station, like BBC RADIO 1 (for example) may be slightly quicker, or try some other supported local regional radio station available on the tune-in network.
Hi Ken. Thanks for your comments. Now seems to be working at least most of the time. Having trouble with some other TuneIn stations like “Bay Easy” as Alexa thinks I asking for an artists name despite me saying “Alexa, play TuneIn station Bay Easy on kitchen” But learning curve and all that.
Just not sure it’s worth the hassle frankly luckily I got Echo Dot half price with code from Sonos.
Hi all, we have Alexa playing radio stations via TuneIn on our Sonos Play:5 (a.k.a Kitchen). However she doesn't want to stop it when asked. We have tried many scenarios ..

"Alexa, stop" followed by "Alexa, stop kitchen" and this sometimes works, quite rare.
"Alexa, stop playback in the kitchen" she then replies with "I can change the playback mode only when music is playing".

Many attempts get that same reply. We give up and find a phone to stop Sonos via the app.

Has anyone got a recommendation ?

Thanks in advance.
TK539,

I tend to stick to the instructions shown at the top of this document, which is worth a quick read:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514

In fact, I have copied those main general playback voice instructions onto my iPad controller's notepad, to allow me to quickly glance at them now and again ...and overtime things seemed to have improved with the Alexa voice control. I really like it and have since gone onto add other smart-home devices like Philips hue lights and a few smart-plugs.

As the development moves forward, I’m sure things will get even better and easier to use.
Hi Ken, yes I had read those and had tried various commands. Just tried again ..

"Alexa, play Capital London in the Kitchen" which she did happily.

"Alexa, stop Capital London in the Kitchen" she replied "Sorry, I don't know that one"

"Alexa, stop playback in the Kitchen" she replies with the "I can only change the payback mode..." as before.

"Alexa, stop Kitchen" her lights flash but she does nothing.

Ideas ? Thanks.
YesHi Ken, yes I had read those and had tried various commands. Just tried again ..

"Alexa, play Capital London in the Kitchen" which she did happily.

"Alexa, stop Capital London in the Kitchen" she replied "Sorry, I don't know that one"

"Alexa, stop playback in the Kitchen" she replies with the "I can only change the payback mode..." as before.

"Alexa, stop Kitchen" her lights flash but she does nothing.

Ideas ? Thanks.

Yes, try this..

Step-1
In the Sonos App check for any updates.
Step-2
Whilst in the Sonos App, clear the Amazon Sessions and also any Playlists in each one of your room queue screens (you will need to unhide each room queue to do that).
Step-3
In the Amazon App go to the Smart-Home section and disable/remove the Sonos Skill.
Step-4
Power off your Sonos speakers and then bring them back online one at a time. Let them settle for a few minutes.
Step-5
In the Amazon app skills section, re-enable the Sonos Skill and sign into the Sonos and Amazon accounts and accept the information sharing agreement.
Step-6
Then do a smart-home rescan and ensure all your Sonos speakers/rooms are discovered. You can then close the Amazon and Sonos apps.

Hopefully by following the above few steps, this will then resolve all of the problems you have been having and you can go onto test things again.

Can you kindly me know if that fixes your issue... thanks

Ken
Thanks Ken, this will take a while as we have several Sonos players/units up and down the house. Will try these steps and report back if I'm still having issues.

Thanks again.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Ryan

Say in the kitchen and not on kitchen

E.g. play radio 2 in the kitchen

You may have to add BBC at first until it learns.