Alexa - Now Playing on Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

143 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
The grouping is as designed. At this time there is no ability to group or ungroup via Alexa, either implicitly (as you are wishing) or explicitly. It will play to whatever room you ask, and to all room grouped with that speaker. To group/ungroup, you need to use the Sonos app.

As to the others, it helps to submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes of an incident, and post the reference number here so the techs can see exactly what is going on with your system. For info on submitting a diagnostic, see here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3096

ok i will test again tonight and see if the same error happens and do the above.
thanks
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Is there timing for spotify support and also for Canadian support?

was just able to get the app updated in Canada .. haven't tested yet since I have spotify and know support isnt rolled out yet for that.. hoping that comes soon after waiting quite a while for this update.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Were you able to enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app in Canada? I haven't been able to do that in Ireland. Even though it's not officially available in Ireland my Amazon Echo seems to work ok, but it looks like they have specifically prevented the Sonos skill being enabled in Ireland.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Trad99 Junior 7 replies

Yes, this will work. I've uploaded a small number of tracks to the Amazon cloud and then they're available to play via Alexa. You can't automatically upload a playlist, though. You'll need to recreate the playlist after you do the upload.

I have a large library of my own music in iTunes and found the Amazon upload process slow, so I decided to use the Amazon Music Unlimited service for streaming music I already own, as well as for exploring new music. I've created an iTunes playlist for music I own that's not on the Amazon streaming service and play that via Sonos. I haven't uploaded it to Amazon's cloud so I can't play it on my Alexa devices, only on Sonos (without the new voice control), but I'm OK with that. However, the option is there to upload that playlist to the Amazon cloud, and then it would also be available to play on my Alexa devices or on the Sonos devices using the new voice control.

Thanks for the reply - will give this a go and see how it all works. I'm concerned, however, on how little anyone from Sonos seems to be promising or even referring to library control being a feature planned for the future.

Thanks for the reply - will give this a go and see how it all works. I'm concerned, however, on how little anyone from Sonos seems to be promising or even referring to library control being a feature planned for the future.

That's par for the course with Sonos. They tend to keep things close to the vest. Doesn't mean it isn't coming. But then again, doesn't mean it is.
My congrats to the SONOS team, this has been a long time coming and I for one appreciate the "beta" being released and look forward to the GA version. A few comments/observations:

1. Room/Alexa/Zone names: I have about the same number of alexa devices as I do SONOS devices, room names were a big problem, I had to edit the names of the SONOS devices and/or the Alexa devices to be unique, just an FYI for anyone moving forward with this.. Alexa does not like it when you have an echo named "Kitchen" and a SONOS device named "Kitchen Stereo", it seems alexa just focuses on the word "Kitchen" and by default it plays on my Echo. I also read some comments about songs being paused in the queue on an alexa and when you say resume or similar Alexa music command expecting it to resume your SONOS devices it just resumes in the echo/dot's queue. My suggest here would be to allow us to set defaults for music playback, something like "Alexa, set default playback to SONOS" . I doubt Amazon really cares where their music plays or where you here the "OK" from when you buy more stuff via voice..

2. While I understand the frustration from those who want their DOT to have the default output be mapped via the SONOS system to a nearby Play 1/3/5 etc.. I know this will probably be tough to allocate resources for this since it's probably viewed internally as a direct threat to the new SONOS ONE. A DOT + Play 1 would be very similar in price to the new SONOS ONE if not cheaper. HOWEVER... I do already have a few Play1s and DOTS so... It would be a really nice feature to have for all of us loyal SONOS fans who already spent a grand or more on your speakers, have a bunch of DOTS, and aren't relishing the idea of replacing every DOT with a $249 SONOS ONE. Consider this feature a customer relations move. I'll end up buying a few SONOS ONEs anyway, but it would make me a lot less bitter about it !

3. Group commands.. One of my top priorities for the GA version. "Alexa, add barn to the kitchen", "Alexa, add Master to the group", "Alexa, remove Master from the group"

4. Local Music Library support, another top priority. Although, I think I read somewhere in this thread someone saying they uploaded their music to Amazon's cloud which solved the functional problem, might be difficult for people with a sh&tload of songs though.

Again, my congrats, it's a really good start. The announcement made my day !
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
amazon is charging for Amazon Music Unlimited. for Prime members only ... three plans.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Were you able to enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app in Canada? I haven't been able to do that in Ireland. Even though it's not officially available in Ireland my Amazon Echo seems to work ok, but it looks like they have specifically prevented the Sonos skill being enabled in Ireland.

Actually since I sent the question above I have been able to enable the Sonos skill by using the desktop version of Alexa instead of the iPhone app. Desktop version is at http://Amazon.co.uk. This was after a suggestion from Amazon Customer Service. I had asked the same question in a few threads so I'm adding this update to each.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Actually since I sent the question above I have been able to enable the Sonos skill by using the desktop version of Alexa instead of the iPhone app. Desktop version is at http://Amazon.co.uk. This was after a suggestion from Amazon Customer Service. I had asked the same question in a few threads so I'm adding this update to each.

I was able to get it working through the Alexa app and Sonos app on Android. I could not set it up on my iPad because Amazon eventually got to the point of informing me the API was not available in Canada. There was no such problem with Android. It now seems to be working as intended in my Canadian location.

It seems that from my experience and the experiences of others that if you want to set this up in a country where Alexa devices are not sold you should use desktop apps or an Android phone or tablet.

I split my time between Canada and Brasil. I have Sonos gear in both places. I’ll be interested in seeing if can make this work with my Sonos setup in a Brasil when I return in a month. The Sonos app asked me to choose from my two locations (described by the room names) when I set up Alexa in Canada.
Fabulous work, and yes there are features I'd like to see but I can't believe some of those who are whining about what isn't there. Set up your own company and try doing it yourself and see how far you get.
Sorry but this is Rubbish and mostly useless. To call this Alexa integration with my Sonos system is misleading at best. When I can ask Alexa to play content from my Sonos library on a particular Sonos device....then you can claim success. I, like much of the user community, have been waiting for this for almost 2 years and very disappointed with Sonos' failure.
Interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I, like much of the user community, have been waiting for this for almost 2 years and very disappointed with Sonos' failure.
All you can accurately do is speak for yourself, not for "much of the user community", surely. Sonos says that the very large use of its installed base now is to stream music for services and they have a commercial interest in the validity of this statement.
I have a well established local NAS, but of late I find myself listening to Apple music playlists a lot more. And for NAS use, voice control of everything except the first action is available.
IMO therefore, calling this a "failure" as far as much of the user community is concerned, is a considerable stretch.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
How soon until there's Spotify support?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
No date was provided, but my guess is that it's near the top, if not the top, thing on their priority list.
"Ducking" From what I gather, if you retain a connection via Line-In from an echo dot, when Alexa responds it goes through the SONOS speaker as before but now goes almost silent (ducking) so you can't hear responses. Ideally, I'm sure of myself, and likely most of your customers would like to do away with the Line-In and have Alexa responses play through Sonos, is this something we can expect in the future, or at very least, a switch to negate ducking?

Prior to the integration I had successfully used the Line Out from the Echo Dot feeding the Line In on two groups that include Sonos Gen 1 Play 5's.

For those looking for Audible, the Line-In and playing your audio books through Alexa works nicely, it even supports jogging forward / backward in the book with voice commands.
Badge
Amazon dot will not turn down or turn up volume. Did I do something wrong? Does the volume control work? I’m constantly getting the “Sonos isn’t responding” or “kitchen isn’t responding” anything I can do?
Amazon dot will not turn down or turn up volume. Did I do something wrong? Does the volume control work? I’m constantly getting the “Sonos isn’t responding” or “kitchen isn’t responding” anything I can do?

It seems that depending on other smart devices on the network (such as my Harmony Hub), you have to be more specific. Try "Alexa, turn up volume in (room xxxx)."
Badge

It seems that depending on other smart devices on the network (such as my Harmony Hub), you have to be more specific. Try "Alexa, turn up volume in (room xxxx)."

No other smart devices are connected besides 2 sonos speakers the soungbar "living room" and a play 5 "kitchen" using the command "Alexa, turn up volume in (room xxxx)." or any variation does not work and results in "xxxxx isn’t responding”
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I had the same problem last night. I closed the Sonos app on my iPhone and then Alexa worked perfectly.
Badge
I had the same problem last night. I closed the app on my iPhone and then Alexa worked perfectly.

Ive tried that, I also unplugged the echo dot to restart and still nothing has changed.
I had the same problem last night. I closed the app on my iPhone and then Alexa worked perfectly.

Ive tried that, I also unplugged the echo dot to restart and still nothing has changed.

At this point, I would submit a diagnostic shortly after the problem occurs and post the reference number here. The Sonos techs rill then take a look at it.
Great work! Is there a way to play sonos and echo in stereo? I was able to play my sonos play 1 using my echo gen 1. However when I say play eric church in the living room, the sonos will play eric church on my living room sonos. The echo will not play anything, and when I say play eric church it plays a different eric church song on the echo. Both are defaulted to play pandora, and I have tried to create a group, but it does not allow grouping of the sonos and echo. Any ideas?
None; they don't work that way, and I doubt they ever will.
Badge
Can I use Alexa to play my music from my Network Storage ??