14.12 Update

Related products: Software News

Changes to volume mapping and impact on Sub output

Thank you for your feedback regarding the recent 14.12 software update with Enhanced Clarity for Arc

In this update, we made a change to Arc’s audio profile to improve dialogue clarity and the overall sound experience. This change is based on feedback from our listeners in the field and brings Arc in line with our other Home Theater products, resulting in a more accurate representation of the sound as intended by the content creator. 

The updated tuning adjusts the spectral balance of Arc+Sub to achieve a more accurate representation of the sound and an improved sound experience. While the Arc+Sub output capability remains the same,  the mapping of volume across the 0-100% range has been adjusted with this release which means low and mid volume levels are relatively lower compared to the previous tuning so you may need to adjust the volume slider to achieve your pre-update volume level. The maximum volume and bass output are unchanged. We acknowledge that this change was not made more clear in the release notes and in the future we’ll be sure to make sure we communicate these rare changes more effectively. 

Please note, we have identified an issue for some users of Arc, Beam and Ray whose configuration includes a Sub (with or without surrounds), who may find their Sub output is lower than desired after performing a new Trueplay tuning. 

Users with Beam or Ray bonded with Sub can increase the Sub level for a more powerful low-end response, however this won’t have the same impact for Arc users. Customers using Arc bonded with a Sub (and/or surrounds) who find their Sub output is lower than desired following performing a new Trueplay tuning, should temporarily disable Trueplay on Arc until this is addressed by an upcoming software update. 

Trueplay tunings for Home Theater configurations without a bonded Sub are unaffected, including standalone soundbars and those bonded with surrounds only.   

If you would like any assistance adjusting the sound of your Home Theater setup, the community is here to help. You can also contact Sonos support.

Moderation edit:

With the 14.18 software update, the above mentioned issues have been addressed, and the Enhanced Clarity for Arc adjustments are retained. There was a clear preference within our community for the previous volume settings, and these have been restored. This will be apparent immediately after updating to 14.18. The Trueplay issue has been fixed. Customers who experienced a lower Sub level after performing Trueplay after updating to 14.12 will need to update their systems and then perform a new Trueplay tuning in order to address these improvements in their system. Customers will hear a more powerful low end response, meaning any Sub level adjustments made after 14.12 should no longer be required.

Sound signature is terrible now

I think many would be happy if you could put the volume back pre update. 

I was already upset and this just makes things worse. Doesn’t sound like anything is going to be done. Thousands of dollars later and I’m left with this mess. I bought my system last year after listening to it in the store and after 14.10 I had it exactly how I wanted it. The sound signature is horrible along with the bass issue and the overall volume is terrible. 

I think many would be happy if you could put the volume back pre update. 

And the tonal quality as i have treble at -8 now as it is painful listening to it at higher levels 

A very strange thing to do. We who have bought this system, has of course listen to it first. So now 2 years later, Sonos change the sound profile, and as you can see there are many users who’s not happy. When you do such a huge difference to the sound profil people haven’t got what they bought.

If you shall do such a huge change in sound profile, you should also put in an option to keep the old sound profile. 

Terrible custome treatment 😩

I was already upset and this just makes things worse. Doesn’t sound like anything is going to be done. Thousands of dollars later and I’m left with this mess. I bought my system last year after listening to it in the store and after 14.10 I had it exactly how I wanted it. The sound signature is horrible along with the bass issue and the overall volume is terrible. 

Where do you get the idea nothing is going to be done?  The announcement specifically stared that the problem will be "addressed by an upcoming software update."

This is once again not an answer to anything. The sub bonded to the arc has a different sound signature without true play as well. Increasing the sub volume in this setup yields a peak in mid bass and not low bass. I am growing exceedingly fed up with this amateur service. 

I’m not happy with true play bass after I reset my home theatre system after the update. It might be an idea to include these as “reference profiles” in the app; such as  - “From the factory”, “True Audio 1 “ etc. That gives us choice, as well as a far simpler roll back mechanism if this gets screwed up again. 

However, the forums are littered with people complaining, and there’s no recognition here that this will be solved quickly. 

It says trueplay and sub issues to be fixed, nothing about overall volume and the sound signature. 

Where do you get the idea nothing is going to be done?  The announcement specifically stared that the problem will be "addressed by an upcoming software update."

Only issue talked about fixing is the sub.. nothing about the volume issue so many are experiencing. So no.. nothing on the volume issue. If you’re happy with your system, fine, go enjoy it. Let those that have an issue discuss it. That’s why they have this “ community page”.

Only issue talked about fixing is the sub.. nothing about the volume issue so many are experiencing. So no.. nothing on the volume issue. If you’re happy with your system, fine, go enjoy it. Let those that have an issue discuss it. That’s why they have this “ community page”.

I will post what I want, when I want, and where I want.  If you’ve got a problem with that, report me to a mod and they will decide if my posts violate the TOS.  

This has now been weeks with ruined sub volume without a fix pretty terrible from Sonos especially when you’ve spent a couple of thousand on a system, there should be an option to go back or downgrade the update , shocking it’s been left for so long 

This has now been weeks with ruined sub volume without a fix pretty terrible from Sonos especially when you’ve spent a couple of thousand on a system, there should be an option to go back or downgrade the update , shocking it’s been left for so long 

It may look that way from the outside, but since the point of the last update was to improve the sound quality and the quality is clearly worse a portion of the users, it’s not too surprising that Sonos is maybe using more caution and testing the change this time around.  Fixing this and let the general population of customers do your testing...tends to be frowned upon.  You don’t want to compound the problem and tick off more customers in the process. 

As far as giving people the ability to back update to an unsupported firmware version creates a host of other issues.

I’m not suggesting those who experiencing the issue don’t have a right to complain or be frustrated.  I’m just saying that it makes some sense for Sonos not to rush to a solution.

Reading this post however feels like Sonos doesn’t seen any issues aside from setups with a Sub and Trueplay being used. The volume difference seems to be expected so I wouldn’t wait for any solution in this regards. 

So Sonos, meantime re release the 14.10 as update such as 14.13 for example while you find a fix. As others have said. I didn’t spend thousands on my sonos equipment for you just to modify the sound signature without giving users the choice. You could have easily done like Sony and given sound signature options to allow people to choose what is the best for them. 
The problem with the Sub is the same with trueplay on or off so your statement is wrong.
You are supposed to be professionals which ensure all testing is complete and thorough before releasing updates. You also have a beta testing community so surely you had this negative feedback before releasing it !

Improve connectivity, stability, update codecs, support for dolby etc…… but don’t touch the sound signature so many of us bought Sonos for. Especially the bass which is now terrible, trueplay on or off !!!!

I now regret investing in an Arc never mind my now underpowered sub.

Well i retuned my trueplay, adjusted the bass but its nowhere near it was prior to update.

Beam Geb 2 + Sub Gen 3 + Symfonisks Surrounds. So nope your response did not help.

Reading this post however feels like Sonos doesn’t seen any issues aside from setups with a Sub and Trueplay being used. The volume difference seems to be expected so I wouldn’t wait for any solution in this regards. 

Unfortunately 

It is not good that they seem to be keeping this so called clarity/dialogue signature 

I have had to turn treble to -8 to stop getting earache and I  personally had no problems hearing dialogue with 14.10, I thought it was clear enough and enjoyed the rich full wide soundstage this has been replaced with a narrow front soundstage with over emphasised centre it feels like it has been setup for the hard of hearing 

I truly hope this can be fixed as my whole house is sonos and it's not just my arc system that sounds bad

The dissatisfied tend to speak louder but as someone who’s happy with the update here is my voice. 

@Billy Tell … what is your sonos setup? Arc, sub, ones?

I think mines will soon be for sale if your looking for any 😂

Off the back of this 'reaction', then no doubt we will now see an influx of used Sonos equipment for sale, people attempting to rid in disgust the system they bought and once loved which is simply no longer. This award winning sound has been ruined by a select few people moaning about dialogue and a team of quite frankly idiots who could not simply embed this 'improvement' into the dialogue / speech enhancement feature.

If this next update does not revert the sound and volume level back to how it all was in 14.10 at least, then I will be one of people who wants to say goodbye to the whole lot. I just can not stand how it sounds right now. They say all good things must come to an end, sadly for me you've not even made it 6 months before you've tarnished my once solid and trusted impression of your brand. A 3 minute software update to suit your moaning 3% and then ruin the vast remaining majority of your community.

It is simply not acceptable; the volume, the sound profile and certainly not your behaviour.

The dissatisfied tend to speak louder but as someone who’s happy with the update here is my voice. 

I have also no issues here and I’m really baffled when I read that some folks have to adjust the treble to -8. I’m still having everything on 0 (default) and it sounds fine, yes there is a volume difference, but that’s more or less it. Nothing I would have to set treble to -8 for.

Well I know if I were an engineer (which I am), the first thing I'd do after being called a "team of idiots" would be to bend over backwards to fix that person's problem (Not!).

Please people, you can be upset without being insulting.  We are adults, we don't need to be abusive to get our point across. 

I have also no issues here and I’m really baffled when I read that some folks have to adjust the treble to -8. I’m still having everything on 0 (default) and it sounds fine, yes there is a volume difference, but that’s more or less it. Nothing I would have to set treble to -8 for.

The Sonos rep did say the Trueplay Sub problem is only some users with certain hardware combinations.

Sounds good, don't change