14.12 Update

Related products: Software News

Changes to volume mapping and impact on Sub output

Thank you for your feedback regarding the recent 14.12 software update with Enhanced Clarity for Arc

In this update, we made a change to Arc’s audio profile to improve dialogue clarity and the overall sound experience. This change is based on feedback from our listeners in the field and brings Arc in line with our other Home Theater products, resulting in a more accurate representation of the sound as intended by the content creator. 

The updated tuning adjusts the spectral balance of Arc+Sub to achieve a more accurate representation of the sound and an improved sound experience. While the Arc+Sub output capability remains the same,  the mapping of volume across the 0-100% range has been adjusted with this release which means low and mid volume levels are relatively lower compared to the previous tuning so you may need to adjust the volume slider to achieve your pre-update volume level. The maximum volume and bass output are unchanged. We acknowledge that this change was not made more clear in the release notes and in the future we’ll be sure to make sure we communicate these rare changes more effectively. 

Please note, we have identified an issue for some users of Arc, Beam and Ray whose configuration includes a Sub (with or without surrounds), who may find their Sub output is lower than desired after performing a new Trueplay tuning. 

Users with Beam or Ray bonded with Sub can increase the Sub level for a more powerful low-end response, however this won’t have the same impact for Arc users. Customers using Arc bonded with a Sub (and/or surrounds) who find their Sub output is lower than desired following performing a new Trueplay tuning, should temporarily disable Trueplay on Arc until this is addressed by an upcoming software update. 

Trueplay tunings for Home Theater configurations without a bonded Sub are unaffected, including standalone soundbars and those bonded with surrounds only.   

If you would like any assistance adjusting the sound of your Home Theater setup, the community is here to help. You can also contact Sonos support.

Moderation edit:

With the 14.18 software update, the above mentioned issues have been addressed, and the Enhanced Clarity for Arc adjustments are retained. There was a clear preference within our community for the previous volume settings, and these have been restored. This will be apparent immediately after updating to 14.18. The Trueplay issue has been fixed. Customers who experienced a lower Sub level after performing Trueplay after updating to 14.12 will need to update their systems and then perform a new Trueplay tuning in order to address these improvements in their system. Customers will hear a more powerful low end response, meaning any Sub level adjustments made after 14.12 should no longer be required.

After performing the update and re-doing TruePlay with my iPhone 13 Pro Max, the treble is way more pronounced now; compared to how TruePlay sounded before on 14.16, one could say too much so. 

And when I toggle TruePlay from on to off, it sounds rather muddy and flat, but turning it back on, it’s a drastic bump in treble - is this correct/ to be expected?
I’ve never noticed it or had it this obvious before where it’s that drastic of a bump?

I wouldn’t say it’s sibilant, but it’s very very close to being so!

Redoing TruePlay again on my iPhone XR work phone; the treble seems to be quite a bit less, or not so harsh… has anyone else noticed anything similar when running TruePlay, regardless with any i device, or the 13 Pro Max specifically? 

thanks!

Do you have a case on either phone?

I have to say this is the best sound Sonos has ever produced on my system. To say I was pissed after 14.12 was an understatement. This was definitely worth the wait. Bass and sound stage is amazingly better and my arc and surrounds are in sync once more. Way to go Sonos. 14.18 rocks!!

I’m actually looking forward to watching a film tonight for the first time in months.

Just did a retune of the trueplay. Still doesn’t sound overly amazing. Having to turn treble to -8 and the sub up to +3 to get any sense of warmth. But I have a funny feeling that has more to do with the large open floor plan of my living area with floorboards. Although I’m not an expert with this kind of stuff 🤷‍♂️

Just did a retune of the trueplay. Still doesn’t sound overly amazing. Having to turn treble to -8 and the sub up to +3 to get any sense of warmth. But I have a funny feeling that has more to do with the large open floor plan of my living area with floorboards. Although I’m not an expert with this kind of stuff 🤷‍♂️

No mines same small living room had to set treble to -6 

No mines same small living room had to set treble to -6 

Me too, in 14.10 everything was set to 0 but now have to keep changing things for different inputs and none sound as good as 14.10’s warmth, terrestrial TV I have found EQ bass at +7, treble -2 and Sub output at 0 sort of works to get rid of most of the harsh highs and boxy mid tones, for streaming I have to set EQ bass at +4 treble -4 and Sub output to -2 (or loud scenes are way too bassy)  overall the sound is poor compared to 14.10 for me and I now have the added bother of changing settings for different content, I really do think they need to add some settings for us to choose if we want this so called “improvement”, I'm still going to be holding off buying into the ecosystem any further, I was ready to sell and go elsewhere but I'll hold off for a while and see what comes down the line in the next couple of months after this update to see if they finally listen…

On a side note, my loudness toggle no longer work too, so who knows what or if in anyway that may help things if it were working 

@Aidyb 

Just tried my loudness toggle and you are right it does nothing 

@Aidyb

Strange: definite differences here. Only guessing, but is it possible the Trueplay/volume/EQ settings you’re at are very close to what the loudness threshold is set at? 

Treble at -6 

Height at +6

Surrounds at -5

Rest at 0 

Volume at 30

Seems odd with the settings I am on loudness does nothing 

@Aidyb

Strange: definite differences here. Only guessing, but is it possible the Trueplay/volume/EQ settings you’re at are very close to what the loudness threshold is set at? 

No it hasn't worked since the update before or after trueplay, it's still working on my beam 2 though, it is a strange one..

Treble at -6 

Height at +6

Surrounds at -5

Rest at 0 

Volume at 30

Seems odd with the settings I am on loudness does nothing 

Please, try to perform Trueplay by standing in front of the Arc. Don’t walk around, just stay within 1-2 meter and wave your phone. Let me know if there is any difference with the sound. I’m talking about the 2nd stage of the process.

@msf 
Tried it but the progress circle hardly moved and my arm got tired after 7-8 minutes...

@msf 
Tried it but the progress circle hardly moved and my arm got tired after 7-8 minutes...

Quit the App (fully) and perhaps try it again.

@msf 

It worked for me. You can move around but maintain straight line. The idea is to calibrate mostly  the Arc as the most important speaker in HT. 

One more thing- if you boost the height audio too much, it kills the sound stage. Makes the sound more forward orientated. I don’t like that …

One more thing- if you boost the height audio too much, it kills the sound stage. Makes the sound more forward orientated. I don’t like that …

Doesn't have much effect tried different numbers tna thanks for your input but the changes made to the sound signature is not to my listening tastes 
The fact that I have to turn the treble down so much bothers me, I know people will say it's just a number but I have been using/setting up my home theatre systems for over 30 years and never had to adjust eq in this way before 
I even looked up hearing loss to see if it was me as I am 65 but apparently the high frequency is the first thing to go lol
And I can still tune my guitars by ear to E 🤪
Anyway your replies were appreciated but the system has until July next year before I replace it I am already researching it 
Thanks again 👍

Am I the only one who think Sonos owes us a compensation for leting so many customers have a ruined sound system for over 3 month?

And to be a little more grumpy, I liked the 14.10 sound better.

Am I the only one who think Sonos owes us a compensation for leting so many customers have a ruined sound system for over 3 month?

Did the suggested ‘switching off’ of Trueplay not work for you then? It worked for most people it seems and it was certainly fine for me …and now the Arc/Surrounds/Sub, since updating, sound better than ever to my ears and the speech-audio-output has very much improved throughout all the updates. The clarity is noticeable and much better with my TV (LG C9).

I’m just not the sort that asks for compensation anyway when there’s a known identified bug in software, particularly when an early statement is put out by the company, saying there is a fix on its way.

I’m also happy when Sonos releases new features with updates, like the recent Roam stereo-pairing output for a Bluetooth audio source when on WiFi and all ’free of charge’ too.

It’s not just 3 months. Don’t forget the drop outs bug that was in April-June. We pretty much didn’t have a functioning system for 6+ months. Do they owe us a compensation? Absolutely. Will it ever happen? Absolutely not.

I also don’t think that 14.18 is on the same level as 14.10, but it’s much better than the junk that we had for the last 3 months.

Since updating -  My height level slider doesn’t seem to be working in the app.   Changing from low to high makes no difference.  with or without true play.    Is anyone else having this issue?    

I tested this with various atmos movies.  It use to work fine.

I have the arc, sub gen 3 and two one sl.    

Since updating -  My height level slider doesn’t seem to be working in the app.   Changing from low to high makes no difference.  with or without true play.    Is anyone else having this issue?    

I tested this with various atmos movies.  It use to work fine.

I have the arc, sub gen 3 and two one sl.    

I haven’t had any issues with the Height Audio level slider. Do you hear any audio from the upward firing drivers? Are you sure you are playing Dolby Atmos audio? What specific Atmos movies are you testing?

Ok disregard.  It is working.    I do feel the height effects are more subtle now with this firmware when adjusting the slider.