Answered

Will there be conflict if I add a echo dot to my Sonos Play 1 (I have another Sonos 1 in the hallway)

• 3 January 2018
  • 4 replies

My current setup:

1. PlayBase (TV console)
2. Boost (Beside router and playbase)
3. 4 x Play One (2 pair to playbase as surround. 1 in room and 1 in the kitchen)
4. 1 x Sonos One ( In Hallway)

My Sonos One is placed along the hallway. Thinking to get a echo dot to hook up to the Play 1 in Kitchen. Will I still be able to achieve the command or functions I have with Sonos 1 in the hallway?

Also, will there be any issue if place echo dot near sonos 1?

Thank you folks.

Stan
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 3 January 2018, 11:50

Hi Stan

No conflict at all. The Amazon server will determine which device received the clearest command and mute the other. The only difference that you will notice is that when you use the Echo Dot, you will need to include the room name in the command. 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Kitchen Sonos.' With regards to placing, I would suggest that you place the Echo Dot away from you other Sonos Players in the Kitchen, this will improve it's ability to hear when music is playing.

Note:

Make sure that you have unique names, I personally use Room Name + Device Type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Stan

No conflict at all. The Amazon server will determine which device received the clearest command and mute the other. The only difference that you will notice is that when you use the Echo Dot, you will need to include the room name in the command. 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Kitchen Sonos.' With regards to placing, I would suggest that you place the Echo Dot away from you other Sonos Players in the Kitchen, this will improve it's ability to hear when music is playing.

Note:

Make sure that you have unique names, I personally use Room Name + Device Type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc.
Nice one mate! Appreciate lots for your expert advice. Will attempt as per highlighted!!!:$:$:$
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Remember, if you change the names of your Sonos players, you will need to select Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices>Discover. Have fun 🙂
Roger that!! Cant get enough of Sonos :S and the helpful community!!!