Question

Will the echo dot and Alexa work with my existing Sonos speakers?

• 30 August 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge
I've read conflicting stories, and evidently Sonos is going to offer a "smart speaker" Oct. 4th. And I read other reports that current speakers will work with Alexa. Will my current Sonos speakers work with Alexa, or do you need the new "smart speakers"?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Amazon just updated Alexa API to allow third parties to control other speakers from Echo/Dot. It's currently in "developer preview" status. Sonos has been working with them on it for exactly one year tomorrow. Will it drop tomorrow, or Oct 4th, or? Nobody knows except Sonos.

You did have to accept the new legal agreement on your existing hardware regarding voice control, which makes it abundantly clear that yes, voice control will work on existing hardware. No doubt about it.
Sonos has stated in no uncertain terms that voice control via Alexa will work with all Sonos devices currently and previously sold.