Answered

Why is Alexa still not avalaible in Belgium on sonos ?

• 10 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi,

2 years ago, I had a VPN to use Alexa on my Sonos, because I’m from Belgium and it was not supported for that country at that time. For a reason that I can’t figure, I can’t do that anymore, but that’s ok because as you can see below, Alexa is avalaible since more than a year in Belgium :

BUT ! When I try to use Alexa on my Sonos app, or when I try to add the sonos skill on my Alexa app, there’s still this message, saying that Alexa isn’t avalaible in my country. 

I know that Alexa isn’t the problem here because it works just fine with other skills or with my eccho dot without using any VPN, it has to come from Sonos. 

Sonos, is there a way to fix this ? As a Belgian who finally get access to Alexa, I’m dying to be able to use it on my Sonos Beam or Sonos One, as I used to do years ago ! (And without having to use a VPN because it’s a pain in the a**...)

Thanks in advance if you can help me. 

(Hope I was understandable, English is not my main language)

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 July 2022, 19:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Your English is excellent. :)

Sonos unfortunately doesn’t control this. Amazon has to approve Sonos in allowing Alexa to be used in Belgium. You should be asking Amazon why they haven’t given Sonos the legal authorization yet. 

Just to add to what Bruce mentions… this Sonos Customer Support page usually gets updated when the Sonos/Alexa service is being expanded into other Countries, so perhaps also keep an eye on the link below for any news…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3505

Thanks for your replies ! I thought the problem was coming from Sonos and not the other way. My bad for blaming it directly ! I’ll try to contact Amazon, thanks for answering me so fast :) 

Nothing to apologize for, it’s a question that pops up semi-frequently, based on the companies (not just Amazon, or Google, but sometimes regular music channels)  slowness in authorizing Sonos to allow the region. There’s legal obstacles, Sonos can’t just unilaterally change things, they need “permission” from the various companies :)

You’re most welcome!

Userlevel 2

Yep, then don't promote the device as Working with it or even mention it in the Sonos app.…

WhebnIbgot my One no service was avail. Neither Google or Alexa. I had purchased a smart speaker for that purpose.

Your marketing in some countries is misleading.

Also, now that Sonos assistant is there, it will only work with Alexa as extra and not Google. I understand why but cannot still accept that you have been fooling with your clients and still do. Adding your smart voice assistant is not all purpose so it needs a sidekick.... Which is not avail in Belgium.

Once again, Sonos let's it's customer down :-(

I love my One, really a great speaker. Too bad Sonos managed to get messy with Google and cannot get Amazon, one of it's other nemesis to play ball.... Good sound, maybe stick to it and stop making silly half baked options..…

Hope it gets fixed one day....