• 12 December 2017
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Is there any scheduled date for alexa to be working on sonos one in ireland
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 12 January 2018, 18:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Alexa is supported by Amazon in Ireland.. please do forward the request as it should be a simple job of allowing UK version to work in Ireland.
markftracey is correct - Alexa IS supported by amazon in Ireland - Alexa app now available for iPhone on Ireland Appstore.
Userlevel 1
Yes Sonos, what's the next step. We are ready for voice recognition in Ireland with the release of Alexa. Pleas send update. Happy Christmas
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks for all that but is it available on Android?
Any update on this Sonos! ETA?
I am like that kid who got the toy he always wanted on Christmas day but then to discover it has no battries.
I just got a play 1, the unit is beautifully built and sounds amazing...I was devistated to discover that i can not download the Sonos skills for the Amazon Echo as I live in Ireland. I dont know if this is a Sonos issue or an Amazon issue but I beg somebody to sort it out. Maybe somebody knows a workaround? Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
Sonos, seriously this a huge let down. I can't believe you are lagging behind like this. Please enable this skill for Alexa users in Ireland.
Thanks JP, its crazy that there is a restriction in Ireland. Ive been trying to setup a uk address etc, to try get the Sonos skill to work. I know having browsed the issue, some users have found a workaround but this is just silly having to spend hours trying workarounds. I know in the business im in, if we produced such an awful app, we would be out of business by now. Ive lost hours on this....does anybody in Sonos or Amazon bother reading these posts......I should have gone with Bose, a least they have an aux in....Ahhhhhhhhh
Sonos - what a let down! Can you even give us in Ireland the courtesy of a reply to this thread?

From Keith N from Sonos, second post in the thread, also marked as the official answer:

Hi there, alan G. Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. Currently, as you know, Amazon Alexa is not supported in Ireland. While we do not have information on when Amazon will get Alexa functionality to Ireland, I can still forward your request to the team. Thanks again.

Keith, I'm sure everyone appreciates your response but your information is out of date. As stated by multiple contributors previously the echo and dot now ship to Ireland and Alexa is supported in Ireland as of December 2017 so the "official answer" is redundant and should not be used as a reference. Please update. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, alan G. Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. Currently, as you know, Amazon Alexa is not supported in Ireland. While we do not have information on when Amazon will get Alexa functionality to Ireland, I can still forward your request to the team. Thanks again.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Fair play thanks. Over to sonos so!
Would also like to know as got Sonos one for Christmas?
Firstly Amazon need to offer Alexa in Ireland, which they appear to not currently. There are articles on how to hack your account to make this work (by faking a UK location), that might work for Sonos too.

Amazon now support Alexa in Ireland (shipping Echo units to the Republic and appearing in Irish App Store). Can you please tell us when this is going to be the case for Sonos skill - seems crazy to have a geo restriction on this use case...
[quote=RichMcG].........

Amazon now support Alexa in Ireland (shipping Echo units to the Republic and appearing in Irish App Store). Can you please tell us when this is going to be the case for Sonos skill - seems crazy to have a geo restriction on this use case...

I have an echo dot, live in Ireland and I was able to use the sonos skill up until about a 3 weeks ago. Then suddenly it stopped working. The geo restriction didnt exist when the skill was initially launched. Not that it really mattered as the skill didnt support spotify which was the only reason I wanted it.......All I could use was TuneIn Radio.....
Really disappointed to discover the Sonos app is location restricted for Ireland. Amazon responed immediately to my query and pointed out that the issue was with Sonos restrictions. . My question to Sonos is not about when they will resolve this issues, but rather WHY this restriction was put in for Irish customers. An insult to its irish customers? I had been considering expanding my Sonos system but im not so sure... The lack of a response to these threads show just how poorly irish customers are considered.
Hi Lads, I found the answer. I struggled all over Christmas trying to get the Sonos skill working with my Echo, but today a friend gave me the answer. You have to do the following from a PC or Mac and NOT from an Android device or Iphone. Browse for alexa.amazon.co.uk and from there add the Sonos skill. Dont be mistaken with amazon.co.uk/skills. Let me know how you get on. Cheers
Well I did do a brief search and found numerous references to Alexa not being available, yet, in Ireland. Also the Sonos rep above stated the same.

I can’t do any more to test as I’m in England.

It is available in Ireland, it's been stated several times by people living in Ireland that it's available in Ireland. The Sonos rep is mistaken and whatever references you found about Alexa not being available in Ireland are out of date.

Given that Alexa is now supported in Ireland, do Sonos have any date for enabling it on the One?
Userlevel 1
Sonos - what a let down! Can you even give us in Ireland the courtesy of a reply to this thread?
Badge
Hi Sonos Team, do you have a date when the Alexa Skill will be made available to Irish customers? Surely it is a simple fix that can be implemented quickly. I have been a loyal Sonos customers for many years along with a lot of the guys in this forum and it would decent of you to give us a date or tell us to forget about it. I feel like selling my Play One and starting over with another brand altogether along with the Google Home. A very very frustrated customer
Userlevel 1
I "echo" this response!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, thanks for asking! We're hard at work building up the Alexa Skill for Sonos while adding to it. When Alexa support is enabled in a new location, it takes some dedicated engineering work and testing to bring support to Sonos. We are committed to bringing Alexa voice control to Sonos in Ireland but don't have a timeline that we're ready to share just yet. Stay tuned for more.
Userlevel 1
Hi Lads, I found the answer. I struggled all over Christmas trying to get the Sonos skill working with my Echo, but today a friend gave me the answer. You have to do the following from a PC or Mac and NOT from an Android device or Iphone. Browse for alexa.amazon.co.uk and from there add the Sonos skill. Dont be mistaken with amazon.co.uk/skills. Let me know how you get on. Cheers

Thanks for the tip. Tried it but got the same geo-restriction message unfortunately.
Userlevel 1
I've no location set on my Sonos account but that wouldn't stop the Alexa app from returning the search for the Sonos skill. Reading the reviews of the skill just there and many people are having issues with it.
I The key is on amazon.co.uk you change your location to uk from Ireland under manage devices - settings.

Fair play! This has sorted it. I have no idea how my account ended up as Rep of Ireland as I use a UK address to order off amazon but that seems to have been the problem......
Badge
Hey all, I have received an email this morning (18/6/18 @10am GMT) saying Alexa is now available on my Sonos One! Cannot find any further info online as I write this and can't check until I finish work but here's hoping!