• 12 December 2017
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Is there any scheduled date for alexa to be working on sonos one in ireland
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 12 January 2018, 18:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Badge
Hey all, I have received an email this morning (18/6/18 @10am GMT) saying Alexa is now available on my Sonos One! Cannot find any further info online as I write this and can't check until I finish work but here's hoping!
I The key is on amazon.co.uk you change your location to uk from Ireland under manage devices - settings.

Fair play! This has sorted it. I have no idea how my account ended up as Rep of Ireland as I use a UK address to order off amazon but that seems to have been the problem......
I managed to get everything linked yesterday sonos speakers and echo through Alexa app. The key is on amazon.co.uk you change your location to uk from Ireland under manage devices - settings. Once you do that you should be able to add sonos to your Alexa app. The Key is that you have to change location on a pc or laptop. Changing the location on your mobile or tablet won’t work. Still can’t play my amazon music thru sonos app directly but I can if I go through the Alexa app. I’ll change back once available proper in Ireland til then this works ok! 🙂
[quote=Brian_134]
All wireless Trevor. I've a standard Amazon & Sonos accounts based in Dublin myself. No vpns or smartdns, I'll double check my setup this evening........

I've no location set on my Sonos account but that wouldn't stop the Alexa app from returning the search for the Sonos skill. Reading the reviews of the skill just there and many people are having issues with it.

Ye I dont know what the story is. When the skill originally launched I had it working no problem, albeit with limited use as all Alexa would play was TuneIn. But I had issues just before Christmas where Alexa would say she was playing in Bedroom for example, but nothing was happening. I tried reinstalling the skill but when I went to do that it said the skill was not available in my location. Now it doesnt even show up in the search. Its not the end of the world but I was tempted to buy the Sonos One when they emailed me about it. Glad I didnt as it would be a waste of time here in Ireland at the moment.
I have a sonos the last few months and love it. However just ordered my echo last week as it’s availablein Ireland now and am expecting delivery tomorrow. Got rid of my Apple Music acct so I could use amazon music thru Alexa in the echo. So I am really hoping it can get it all working together tomorrow. Currently my sonos app won’t pick up my amazon music app! So hoping I can link them via Alexa/echo tomoz!
Userlevel 1
I've no location set on my Sonos account but that wouldn't stop the Alexa app from returning the search for the Sonos skill. Reading the reviews of the skill just there and many people are having issues with it.
Userlevel 1
I am curious how you are getting it to work? Are you connecting your echo dot through a line in on the play 5?

All wireless Trevor. I've a standard Amazon & Sonos accounts based in Dublin myself. No vpns or smartdns, I'll double check my setup this evening.
I've my 5 & 1 (older version) working perfectly with my Echo Dot. No fancy setup just downloaded Alexa from the Irish App Store and enabled the Sonos Skill. Echo officially launched yesterday in Ireland

I had the skill working when it originally launched in the UK last year. despite the fact I live in Dublin and Alexa wasnt supported in Ireland. I had no problems setting it up. But just before christmas it stopped working. Alexa would say she was playing but nothing would play through sonos. When I went into alexa it said I didnt have access to the skill due to my location. Now I cant even find the skill when I search for it on the Alexa app despite Alexa being officially available in Ireland. The mind boggles..... I am curious how you are getting it to work? Are you connecting your echo dot through a line in on the play 5?
Userlevel 1
I've my 5 & 1 (older version) working perfectly with my Echo Dot. No fancy setup just downloaded Alexa from the Irish App Store and enabled the Sonos Skill. Echo officially launched yesterday in Ireland

https://www.rte.ie/news/technology/2018/0125/935901-amazon-echo-and-alexa-launch-in-ireland/

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/alexa-amazon-echo-ireland-skills

“The customer response to Alexa and Echo across the world has been incredibly positive, and we’re excited to make them available to customers in Ireland ,” said Jorrit Van Der Meulen, vice-president, Amazon Devices International
Badge
Hi guys.

Coming to this post late. Sorry.

I’ve had an echo before this functionality became available on Sonos so had to work around setting up the echo in Ireland to begin with. For those on iOS I can confirm that Alexa and Sonos communicate in Ireland but his may be due to the fact that I downloaded the Alexa app from the UK AppStore.

My workaround was to create a UK Apple account. I used my sisters address as she lives in the UK but I don’t think this really matters. You may be asked to add a credit card but you can skip this step and it still works.

Log out of your Irish iTunes account and log in with your UK account. Download the Alexa app from the UK store.

Log out of the UK account and back into your Irish account. The Alexa app should be there still on your phone.

Set up the Alexa using this app. The sonos skill is there and should work. It does for me in any case.

The app still updates from the Irish account so no need to change over and back to get updates.

I have both a UK and Irish delivery address in my Amazon account in case this is another variable that might be relevant. However if you guys have an Echo then you needed the UK address. To order one in the first place.

See how you get on. Fingers crossed
Hi Guys
I heard on news today alexa available in Ireland officially so SONOS lets get it done.
Userlevel 1
Hi Lads, I found the answer. I struggled all over Christmas trying to get the Sonos skill working with my Echo, but today a friend gave me the answer. You have to do the following from a PC or Mac and NOT from an Android device or Iphone. Browse for alexa.amazon.co.uk and from there add the Sonos skill. Dont be mistaken with amazon.co.uk/skills. Let me know how you get on. Cheers

Thanks for the tip. Tried it but got the same geo-restriction message unfortunately.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, thanks for asking! We're hard at work building up the Alexa Skill for Sonos while adding to it. When Alexa support is enabled in a new location, it takes some dedicated engineering work and testing to bring support to Sonos. We are committed to bringing Alexa voice control to Sonos in Ireland but don't have a timeline that we're ready to share just yet. Stay tuned for more.
Drpepperisation's reply above is right. I can now stream radio using echo to my sonos. I thought i had to say 'Alexa, ask Sonos to play radio in Kitchen' but once you use alexa - on web (DESKTOP) not an APP - to get Sonos skill & then use skill to detect your sonos speakers then just say Alexa, play radio on/in kitchen. I have not tried streaming non-radio and sadly it seems Sonos/Amazon are not currently looking to let you play personal music from yourl sonos libraries.... from looking at other conversations on this community it seems it is just radio or Amazon music at the mo
Userlevel 1
I "echo" this response!
Sonos - what a let down! Can you even give us in Ireland the courtesy of a reply to this thread?

From Keith N from Sonos, second post in the thread, also marked as the official answer:

Hi there, alan G. Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. Currently, as you know, Amazon Alexa is not supported in Ireland. While we do not have information on when Amazon will get Alexa functionality to Ireland, I can still forward your request to the team. Thanks again.

Keith, I'm sure everyone appreciates your response but your information is out of date. As stated by multiple contributors previously the echo and dot now ship to Ireland and Alexa is supported in Ireland as of December 2017 so the "official answer" is redundant and should not be used as a reference. Please update. Thanks
Badge
Hi Sonos Team, do you have a date when the Alexa Skill will be made available to Irish customers? Surely it is a simple fix that can be implemented quickly. I have been a loyal Sonos customers for many years along with a lot of the guys in this forum and it would decent of you to give us a date or tell us to forget about it. I feel like selling my Play One and starting over with another brand altogether along with the Google Home. A very very frustrated customer
Sonos - what a let down! Can you even give us in Ireland the courtesy of a reply to this thread?

From Keith N from Sonos, second post in the thread, also marked as the official answer:

Hi there, alan G. Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. Currently, as you know, Amazon Alexa is not supported in Ireland. While we do not have information on when Amazon will get Alexa functionality to Ireland, I can still forward your request to the team. Thanks again.
Userlevel 1
Well I did do a brief search and found numerous references to Alexa not being available, yet, in Ireland. Also the Sonos rep above stated the same.

I can’t do any more to test as I’m in England.

It is available in Ireland, it's been stated several times by people living in Ireland that it's available in Ireland. The Sonos rep is mistaken and whatever references you found about Alexa not being available in Ireland are out of date.

Given that Alexa is now supported in Ireland, do Sonos have any date for enabling it on the One?
One other thing to mention is that I had to enable popups in chrome, if that the browser you are using.
Hi Lads, I found the answer. I struggled all over Christmas trying to get the Sonos skill working with my Echo, but today a friend gave me the answer. You have to do the following from a PC or Mac and NOT from an Android device or Iphone. Browse for alexa.amazon.co.uk and from there add the Sonos skill. Dont be mistaken with amazon.co.uk/skills. Let me know how you get on. Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well I did do a brief search and found numerous references to Alexa not being available, yet, in Ireland. Also the Sonos rep above stated the same.

I can’t do any more to test as I’m in England.
Hi Stuart. I have managed to set up my Amazon echo with local settings and it works fine. The issue arrises when adding skills apps from Sonos to connect both. When you try to download the Sonos app it tells you it's location location restricted. So Amozon echo appears to be woking fine for me, the issue is clearly wirh Sonos. Check it out.
As jpboyne points out, its the Sonos app which needs to be fixed. Why they put in the restrictions is puzzling. Certainly would put you off investing more in Sonos if they wont ensble customers to integrate their products with others..... Funny we still don't have an offical reply/commitment to fix this.
Until they do im not investing further in Sonos product.
Great speakers terrible customer focus.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Really disappointed to discover the Sonos app is location restricted for Ireland. Amazon responed immediately to my query and pointed out that the issue was with Sonos restrictions. . My question to Sonos is not about when they will resolve this issues, but rather WHY this restriction was put in for Irish customers. An insult to its irish customers? I had been considering expanding my Sonos system but im not so sure... The lack of a response to these threads show just how poorly irish customers are considered.

Then your Amazon contact told you an untruth.

Amazon Alexa is currently unavailable in the Irish Republic.