• 12 December 2017
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Is there any scheduled date for alexa to be working on sonos one in ireland
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 12 January 2018, 18:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, alan G. Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. Currently, as you know, Amazon Alexa is not supported in Ireland. While we do not have information on when Amazon will get Alexa functionality to Ireland, I can still forward your request to the team. Thanks again.
Alexa is supported by Amazon in Ireland.. please do forward the request as it should be a simple job of allowing UK version to work in Ireland.
markftracey is correct - Alexa IS supported by amazon in Ireland - Alexa app now available for iPhone on Ireland Appstore.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks for all that but is it available on Android?
Don't have an android phone, but Alexa is showing up in google apps in Ireland too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.dee.app&hl=en
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Fair play thanks. Over to sonos so!
Amazon.co.uk website says that Amazon Echo only ships to UK and the Republic of Ireland. The Ireland bit is new and is only in the last week or two
Fair play thanks. Over to sonos so!

Yep!!
Userlevel 1
Yes Sonos, what's the next step. We are ready for voice recognition in Ireland with the release of Alexa. Pleas send update. Happy Christmas
Any update on this Sonos! ETA?
Would also like to know as got Sonos one for Christmas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Firstly Amazon need to offer Alexa in Ireland, which they appear to not currently. There are articles on how to hack your account to make this work (by faking a UK location), that might work for Sonos too.
Firstly Amazon need to offer Alexa in Ireland, which they appear to not currently. There are articles on how to hack your account to make this work (by faking a UK location), that might work for Sonos too.

Amazon now support Alexa in Ireland (shipping Echo units to the Republic and appearing in Irish App Store). Can you please tell us when this is going to be the case for Sonos skill - seems crazy to have a geo restriction on this use case...
[quote=RichMcG].........

Amazon now support Alexa in Ireland (shipping Echo units to the Republic and appearing in Irish App Store). Can you please tell us when this is going to be the case for Sonos skill - seems crazy to have a geo restriction on this use case...

I have an echo dot, live in Ireland and I was able to use the sonos skill up until about a 3 weeks ago. Then suddenly it stopped working. The geo restriction didnt exist when the skill was initially launched. Not that it really mattered as the skill didnt support spotify which was the only reason I wanted it.......All I could use was TuneIn Radio.....
I am like that kid who got the toy he always wanted on Christmas day but then to discover it has no battries.
I just got a play 1, the unit is beautifully built and sounds amazing...I was devistated to discover that i can not download the Sonos skills for the Amazon Echo as I live in Ireland. I dont know if this is a Sonos issue or an Amazon issue but I beg somebody to sort it out. Maybe somebody knows a workaround? Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
Sonos, seriously this a huge let down. I can't believe you are lagging behind like this. Please enable this skill for Alexa users in Ireland.
Thanks JP, its crazy that there is a restriction in Ireland. Ive been trying to setup a uk address etc, to try get the Sonos skill to work. I know having browsed the issue, some users have found a workaround but this is just silly having to spend hours trying workarounds. I know in the business im in, if we produced such an awful app, we would be out of business by now. Ive lost hours on this....does anybody in Sonos or Amazon bother reading these posts......I should have gone with Bose, a least they have an aux in....Ahhhhhhhhh
I am like that kid who got the toy he always wanted on Christmas day but then to discover it has no battries.

In India, we are in a similar boat, with Alexa available for 2 months now. However, I do have Sonos kit with line in jacks where I use Alexa, but if it is any consolation, at this time voice control of Sonos feels vastly overrated and a gimmick. It does not even scratch the surface of all the good stuff that the play 1/Sonos can already do - not quite the right phrase, but I hope it conveys the intended meaning. So it is nowhere as bad as missing batteries!

The only use being made of Alexa at home for music at this time is in the kitchen where the wife finds it useful when her hands are busy - but even a standalone Echo serves just as well there for her needs.
Really disappointed to discover the Sonos app is location restricted for Ireland. Amazon responed immediately to my query and pointed out that the issue was with Sonos restrictions. . My question to Sonos is not about when they will resolve this issues, but rather WHY this restriction was put in for Irish customers. An insult to its irish customers? I had been considering expanding my Sonos system but im not so sure... The lack of a response to these threads show just how poorly irish customers are considered.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Really disappointed to discover the Sonos app is location restricted for Ireland. Amazon responed immediately to my query and pointed out that the issue was with Sonos restrictions. . My question to Sonos is not about when they will resolve this issues, but rather WHY this restriction was put in for Irish customers. An insult to its irish customers? I had been considering expanding my Sonos system but im not so sure... The lack of a response to these threads show just how poorly irish customers are considered.

Then your Amazon contact told you an untruth.

Amazon Alexa is currently unavailable in the Irish Republic.
Hi Stuart. I have managed to set up my Amazon echo with local settings and it works fine. The issue arrises when adding skills apps from Sonos to connect both. When you try to download the Sonos app it tells you it's location location restricted. So Amozon echo appears to be woking fine for me, the issue is clearly wirh Sonos. Check it out.
As jpboyne points out, its the Sonos app which needs to be fixed. Why they put in the restrictions is puzzling. Certainly would put you off investing more in Sonos if they wont ensble customers to integrate their products with others..... Funny we still don't have an offical reply/commitment to fix this.
Until they do im not investing further in Sonos product.
Great speakers terrible customer focus.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well I did do a brief search and found numerous references to Alexa not being available, yet, in Ireland. Also the Sonos rep above stated the same.

I can’t do any more to test as I’m in England.
Hi Lads, I found the answer. I struggled all over Christmas trying to get the Sonos skill working with my Echo, but today a friend gave me the answer. You have to do the following from a PC or Mac and NOT from an Android device or Iphone. Browse for alexa.amazon.co.uk and from there add the Sonos skill. Dont be mistaken with amazon.co.uk/skills. Let me know how you get on. Cheers
One other thing to mention is that I had to enable popups in chrome, if that the browser you are using.
Well I did do a brief search and found numerous references to Alexa not being available, yet, in Ireland. Also the Sonos rep above stated the same.

I can’t do any more to test as I’m in England.

It is available in Ireland, it's been stated several times by people living in Ireland that it's available in Ireland. The Sonos rep is mistaken and whatever references you found about Alexa not being available in Ireland are out of date.

Given that Alexa is now supported in Ireland, do Sonos have any date for enabling it on the One?