Answered

When starting music with Alexa, cannot then use sonos app or physical buttons

• 31 December 2019
  • 2 replies

Hello

I know similar questions have been asked a while ago, but without an answer. 

I have an Alexa enables Sonos 1 in the lounge and a Sonos Play 1 in the kitchen.  If I say ‘Alexa, play music in Kitchen and Lounge’ it works (I created a group on the Alexa app).

The Sonos app shows Kitchen Lounge ‘Started from amazon alexa’.  However, if I go into the kitchen where the Play 1 is with no Alexa voice assistant, I can not stop, pause etc the music using the physical buttons on the Play 1, or on the Sonos App.

I assumed you could control any Sonos speaker using the buttons or the Sonos app, regardless of whether you started the music by Alexa, buttons or App.

Any ideas?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 1 January 2020, 11:10

Have you set-up the Preferred Speakers within the Alexa Group?  (Please see my post: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/an-overview-and-explanation-of-the-new-support-for-alexa-grouping-6817788) The Sonos system is designed to work with any combination of the following: Initiate via Google, stop via the app or physical buttons, and restart via Alexa.

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you set-up the Preferred Speakers within the Alexa Group?  (Please see my post: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/an-overview-and-explanation-of-the-new-support-for-alexa-grouping-6817788) The Sonos system is designed to work with any combination of the following: Initiate via Google, stop via the app or physical buttons, and restart via Alexa.

Hello UKMedia

Sorry for the delay in responding, I have only just had a chance to spend some time looking at this.  I followed your steps 1 and 2, ie giving all groups and devices unique names, removing the devices and adding them again, and removing the Alexa skill and linking to it again.

And now it all works fine!

So thank you, enjoy the wine!