Answered

When asked to play Spotify Alexa says sorry that device is offline (Sonos One). The common fixes do not work

• 4 February 2019
  • 5 replies

When I first bought the Sonos One I was really happy with it. After the initial setup everything seemed to work fine and I enjoyed controlling Spotify via Alexa. A few weeks later that changed and for approximately two months now Alexa refuses to play Spotify telling me that the device is offline. I have already tried disabling and re-enabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa App. I also let Alexa forget all devices and rediscovered. I changed the name of the Sonos One and I disconnected Alexa in the Sonos App. Nothing seems to work and I am getting more and more frustrated with the Speaker and am thinking about selling it again. So this is my last resort, what other fixes are there or what did I do wrong? I appreciate your help.
icon

Best answer by bockersjv 4 February 2019, 13:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes I had this issue. I moved some speakers to my kitchen and when trying to get Alexa to work that was the response.

I tried everything to sort it using the Alexa app on my phone and nothing.

Then i read a thread that said you MUST use the Alexa web app, via a pc or mac. Removed the sonos speaker, re-scanned again using the web interface and all sorted. An odd one!

here is the thread
https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-sorry-that-device-is-offline-6809854
I don't know if I made a mistake but after that Alexa just said "Sorry I'm having trouble understanding, please try a little later". Then I went into the Sonos App and disabled Alexa and re-enabled it and weirdly enough it does work now. Thank you for your help! I just hope that it won't stop working again
After about 3 hours of troubleshooting this problem, the Sonos web help suggested I check the top of the speaker to see if the microphone was off.
It was! I turned it on and-Voila!- problem solved. (Almost as bad as if it had been unplugged, huh?). Remember Occam’s Razor-the simplest solution to a problem is usually the correct one! Good Luck!
Yes I had this issue. I moved some speakers to my kitchen and when trying to get Alexa to work that was the response.

I tried everything to sort it using the Alexa app on my phone and nothing.

Then i read a thread that said you MUST use the Alexa web app, via a pc or mac. Removed the sonos speaker, re-scanned again using the web interface and all sorted. An odd one!

here is the thread

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-sorry-that-device-is-offline-6809854

I think I am also facing this issue. Did you get any proper solution?
+1 on what @bockersjv said. use the web app to do the discover and group controls and the "offline" issue abates.