Answered

volume delay when using alexa

Badge

Hi don't know if anyone else has came across this recently but whenever I ask alexa to play something it will play it but the first 10-12 seconds will play really quietly as if alexa hasn't stopped listening if you know what I mean... only started doing it in the last week any ideas peeps

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 August 2022, 15:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Has anyone figured this out yet? Incredibly annoying! Just started happening about a month ago for me.

Badge

I will just use Google for the time being till svc hopefully becomes compatible with Spotify and YouTube music the delay in volume really bugs me though

The way I understand it, there’s a part in Google’s agreement that doesn’t allow additional voice controllers to be in a device that is using Google Voice. 

Think I'll just give up on alexa. I've changed it to Google Assistant it works but still takes about 7 seconds into the song before the volume plays normal so frustrating 🤬

I would have suggested trying Sonos Voice Control instead, but the service does not yet support Spotify. I use SVC with Amazon Music & Deezer and it works side-by-side with Alexa too, but sadly not with Google.

Badge

Think I'll just give up on alexa. I've changed it to Google Assistant it works but still takes about 7 seconds into the song before the volume plays normal so frustrating 🤬

@Kevbhoy79,

Not sure why you chose to remove/re-add the Spotify skill in the Alexa App🤔?, but that screenshot appears to be an Amazon/Spotify issue, rather than a Sonos issue?

…maybe try the Spotify online ‘sign out of everywhere’ tool in your Spotify account settings and then try the account linking in Amazon again.

You may also want to consider removing the original sharing agreement in your Amazon account, which might appear under the ‘Login with Amazon’ area of your account (not sure?), but you should find that here (see below), but may need to change the URL for whichever country you are in - the example below is for a UK user:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ap/adam?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=ya_mb_login_with_amazon

Hope you sort it, but it seems you are changing some things that were likely not relevant to the issue we’re having originally. See the suggestions mentioned earlier in the thread.

Certainly suggests that Spotify’s authorization server is not responding to the request from the Alexa app. Have you reached out to Spotify? Or Amazon?

Badge

This is so annoying

Here is my Arc Alexa component properties to show you what you are looking for …

@Kevbhoy79,
That’s the Sonos speaker component in the Alexa device list, you need to look at the properties of the Arc’s Sonos Alexa component, assuming you have installed Alexa on the Arc and have the Skill installed?

Badge

https://youtu.be/mUuOCmwMZWU

This is the YouTube video I copied

Badge

This is what I get... no follow up mode showing 

Alexa says follow up mode isn't supported on the sonos arc. I did something from a YouTube video to try and sort it now when I ask Alexa to play something she just says "hmm to do that you'll need to enable the smart home skill in the alexa app and then ask me to discover devices" but it's already enabled and when I ask alexa to discover devices she finds nothing

‘Follow up’ mode is available on the Sonos Arc, at least I have just checked and have that option here🤔?

I’m not entirely sure what you are referring to in relation to the YouTube video - but think you maybe referring to removing & reinstalling the Sonos Skill in the Amazon Alexa App? - If so, on restoring that Skill it will scan to try to discover any new Sonos devices, but I don’t think that will have and bearing on the audio ducking issue .. you might be best to first check the ‘follow up’ mode directly in the Amazon Alexa App device list …and then your ‘other’ next step is to perhaps see if removing the Arc room from any of your Alexa ‘enabled’ Groups might resolve the issue for you.

Badge

Alexa says follow up mode isn't supported on the sonos arc. I did something from a YouTube video to try and sort it now when I ask Alexa to play something she just says "hmm to do that you'll need to enable the smart home skill in the alexa app and then ask me to discover devices" but it's already enabled and when I ask alexa to discover devices she finds nothing

@Kevbhoy79,
As Bruce mentions, go to the devices list in the Amazon Alexa App and look at the properties of the Alexa component that you’re speaking too (whether that is a Sonos device, or other product) and check the status of its ‘follow up’ mode setting - if it’s enabled then perhaps disable it, if not required.

Just to be certain, that is in the Alexa app, and not in the Sonos controller. 

Badge

I couldn't find that option in the app its not there for some reason

Do you perhaps have Alexa ‘follow up’ mode enabled, as that will usually cause a longer delay?…