Volume commands stopped working

• 19 November 2017
  • 38 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Okay, more testing today. There are two accounts attached to my Alexa devices, the two adults in the Amazon Family.

The volume control still doesn't work properly but the message Alexa states is 'That command doesn't work on device bedroom/kitchen' rather than 'You don't have any Smart Home devices To get started, go to the Smart Home section of the Alexa App'.

So question, does the skill need to be enabled for both family accounts? Do the speakers need to be discovered for both?

The Sonos account is my account rather than my wife's, does that matter?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I did some testing with my 2 dots and 2 speakers this morning, a pair in the bedroom and kitchen.

1. After starting playback, a volume down command generally works; subsequent volume downs may or may not work;
2. After starting playback, a volume up command doesn't work.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Are you able to submit a Diagnostic and post the number in this thread?
Number 8120116.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'll submit a new one this evening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Are you able to submit a Diagnostic and post the number in this thread?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Problem still persisting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you use https://alexa.amazon.co.uk from a PC then the Remove All function is still available. Beware if you have created any Routines then this will wipe all actions defined within all Routines!

If your problem still exists, I suggest a reset of your voice control set-up as I've listed in this answer:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Try opening the Alexa app and select Smart Home>Devices and scroll down to the bottom and select 'Discover'. Make sure your two Play:1's are listed under devices.

They are already listed. New Alexa app doesn't allow for devices to be removed. I've already tried disabling them, powering off all 4 devices, disabling and re-enabling the skill.

Like I said, the only issue is consistent volume control.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In my case it's "You don't have any Smart Home devices To get started, go to the Smart Home section of the Alexa App". However occasionally it does work.

Can you detail your set-up and specific issue?

2 Play:1s - Bedroom and Kitchen. 2 Echo Dots - Bedroom Dot and Kitchen Dot.

Starting and stopping playback never fails. Volume control erratic. When not working the message is as previously stated

Try opening the Alexa app and select Smart Home>Devices and scroll down to the bottom and select 'Discover'. Make sure your two Play:1's are listed under devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
In my case it's "You don't have any Smart Home devices To get started, go to the Smart Home section of the Alexa App". However occasionally it does work.

2 Play:1s - Bedroom and Kitchen. 2 Echo Dots - Bedroom Dot and Kitchen Dot.

Starting and stopping playback never fails. Volume control erratic. When not working the message is as previously stated
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I suspect that you have duplicate device names for 'kitchen'. Try renaming your Sonos players to Room Name followed by 'Sonos'. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Lounge Sonos, etc