Question

Voice Control to Initiate Playback from Amazon Music Library

• 30 December 2017
  • 10 replies

Just set up a new SONOS One and Alexa seems to be working fine with one major exception--initiating playback from my Amazon Music Library. When asked to play any song in my Amazon Music Library or shuffle my Amazon Music Library, Alexa confirms the command correctly, and then suggests that it's beginning to play but there is either no sound or a brief cracking sound. Initiating playback of songs in my Amazon Music Library from the SONOS app works fine. Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I have the exact same problem with my play 1 and Amazon music, some tracks play and others just a brief crackle of static and no music but all the tracks play on the app.
Many of us have had problems with having Alexa initiate music playback. Some have noted success following suggested steps, but not a fix for everyone. I've contacted tech support and have been told that it's an issue with Amazon that they are aware of and are working to fix (this was over a month ago). I think there have been two firmware updates since, but still having the same problem. At least with the last firmware update, I don't have to yell for Alexa to hear me now, but music playback via Alexa is still a problem. At least for me, I still have until mid January to return to Best Buy, which I'll probably do. I really wanted to like this speaker and it has great sound, just poor execution.
Done. Even hardwired. Same issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That's strange then. Can you power down these devices for 10 secs before powering back up, please let each one complete it's boot sequence before moving to the next device:

- Router
- Any wired network switch
- Any wired Sonos products
- All other Sonos products

If this doesn't fix it, can you briefly connect your Sonos One to your Router with an Ethernet cable and retest?
Yes. I see it listed correctly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Amazon Music is selected.

This issue is not the SONOS communicating with Amazon via Alexa, it recognizes the command just fine and acts like it's playing the music, however only a cracking sound comes through the SONONS One. In order to successfully listen to any music uploaded into the Amazon Cloud, I am forced to use the SONOS app to initiate playback. Very disappointing.

Okay, one more thing to check:

If you open the Alexa App>Music, Video & Books>My Music Library, do you see your music listed correctly?
Amazon Music is selected.

This issue is not the SONOS communicating with Amazon via Alexa, it recognizes the command just fine and acts like it's playing the music, however only a cracking sound comes through the SONONS One. In order to successfully listen to any music uploaded into the Amazon Cloud, I am forced to use the SONOS app to initiate playback. Very disappointing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay thanks for that. If you select Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media>Choose default music service, what is selected?

I don't use the Amazon cloud myself but my understanding is that if you set My Music as the default, Amazon will search My Music library, then Amazon Prime, then any other streaming service.

FYI: Are you aware that Amazon are discontinuing the ability to upload your music library to their cloud in early 2018?
No, this is not a local music library. It is music stored in the Amazon cloud in my Amazon Music Library.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Is this your local music library? If so Alexa doesn't support voice control of music stored out of the cloud - please note this isn't a Sonos restriction. Your options are to initiate the music from the App and control via voice control or some people have had some success with Plex but personally it didn't work for me.