voice assistants either don't play a song or skip within the first second and play a related song pt 2

• 16 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi again!

I was the author of this link and I just wanted to update my progress on this since I have taken steps to try and solve it.

I missed an important detail in the old post which is that I have a Google Wifi system, which I have read is infamous for causing problems with Sonos systems. It also means that I cannot change the channel on which the wifi operates as I don’t think Google Wifi has that capability.

For the last few hours I have been browsing and seeing many different solutions for Google Wifi systems operating with Sonos and I keep seeing a) hook up a speaker to the main google wifi hub which connects directly to the modem b) disable DHCP on modem c) get a Sonos Boost.

I have done option A already. My setup here is a One, Five, Beam + 2 Surround Ones, and a Move. I moved the Five to be connected via ethernet to the main Google hub I mentioned. I also tried alternating between all the SonosNet channels on the app after I moved the Five, and nothing has changed.

I have not tried option B or C, since I don’t know exactly what disabling DHCP will do and I don’t want to invest in a Boost if there’s another solution.

I’ll likely talk to Sonos support soon, but I was wondering if there was an important step I missed or if there is further action I should take. Thanks again for all of the replies on the previous post!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You don’t mention what Voice Assistant that you are having issues with you may want to look at my article: Tips & Tricks - Resolving Most Alexa Issues | Sonos Community

You don’t mention what Voice Assistant that you are having issues with you may want to look at my article: Tips & Tricks - Resolving Most Alexa Issues | Sonos Community

If you look at what I attached as the previous article I wrote, I describe what I’m encountering in detail

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you look at what I attached as the previous article I wrote, I describe what I’m encountering in detail

Did you get this fixed?

If it isn’t too late…

You don’t need a Boost if you have wired a speaker to the primary Google puck.  Unless, that is, you want to move the speaker back to a location where it cannot continue to be so wired.

You can’t disable DHCP on a modem because a modem doesn’t do DHCP - that is a router function.  So I wonder if the puck is really wired to a modem / router?  I’ll work on that assumption for the moment.  The correct setup would then be to ensure that the only device wired to the modem / router is the primary Google puck (using the puck’s WAN port).  You can probably leave DHCP on on the modem / router but if that doesn’t give you a stable system disable it.  Definitely disable its WiFi.  Connect your speaker or Boost to the primary Google puck.

At least give it time to reconfigure.  Maybe reboot everything!

hi everyone! i thought i would update.

after months of frustration and confusion, i figured i would take a shot in the dark. on my sonos system we have two users of spotify, so there’s two separate accounts registered as music services in the sonos app. and as soon as i remove one of the accounts, the issue is fixed. no more skipping songs or playing random ones. everything is working normally with the voice assistants now!!! praise

i have no clue as to why two users of spotify would cause so much trouble with the voice assistants but whatever. i’m so happy it’s fixed now and i thought i would swing by just in case anyone else happens to be having the same issues :)

There is still time if it is not too late...

The Google puck can be connected to a speaker without the need for a Boost if you are using a wired speakerThe speaker will not be able to be wired up again unless you want to move it to a location where it will not be able to stay this way.

There is no way for you to disable DHCP on a modem as DHCP is not a function of a modem, it is a function of a router.  In other words, I wonder whether or not the puck is really connected to a modem / router through wires?  At the moment, I will be working on the assumption that I have made.  In this situation, the correct setup would be to make sure that the only device that is plugged into the modem / router is the primary Google puck (via the puck's WAN port).  There is a good chance that you can leave DHCP on your modem or router so that you have a stable system, but if you do not have a stable system, disable it.  The WiFi on this device should definitely be disabled.  Make sure that your Boost or speaker is connected to your primary Google puck.

Let it reconfigure itself at least for a little while.  Maybe you should reboot everything and see what happens!

Having a speaker wired to the primary Google puck does not require a Boost, as long as you have a speaker wired to it.  This is unless you plan on moving the speaker back to a location where it is not possible for it to remain wired, which would be inconvenient for you.

Modems are not capable of controlling DHCP on their own - that is a function of the router and not something you can disable on your modem.  Could you please let me know whether the puck is actually wired to a modem / router?  As a matter of fact, I will be working on that assumption for the time being.  If this is the case, then the correct way to set up your modem/router is to ensure that the only device that will be wired up to the modem/router is the primary Google puck (using the puck's WAN port on the device).  If DHCP is enabled on your modem or router, you can probably leave it on there, but if this does not give you a stable system, you should disable it.  I highly recommend that you disable its WiFi as soon as possible.  If you are using the Google puck as your primary speaker, you need to connect it to the speaker.

Let it have some time to re-configure itself.  You could try rebooting everything to see if that helps!