Question

Virgin Radio UK only works on TuneIn

• 2 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

On a play one or one using Alexa to play Virgin Radio causes the sound to constantly drop out, using the command play virgin radio using tuenin works perfectly. I suspect the Virgin Radio Alexa skill has problems 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jhoranuk, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. We really appreciate your time and effort in bringing this concern to us. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

Do you use your Amazon account in another home or location?
When was the last time Alexa worked with your Sonos?
When you ask Alexa about time and the weather, did she respond correctly?

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you. 

1. Open the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device.
  2. Open the menu in the top left and tap on Skills & Games > Your Skills > Sonos > Disable Skill.
  3. Deregister your Sonos speaker from Alexa by following the instructions on Amazon's website: Deregistering a device.
  4. Disable Voice Control in the Sonos app. From the Settings tab, tap Services and select Amazon Alexa under Voice. Select the voice-enabled speaker from the list of Sonos Products, and tap Remove Alexa.
  5. Log out of all Amazon Apps on the mobile device, including the Amazon app, Alexa app and Amazon.com in your mobile browser.
    • To sign out of the Amazon mobile app:
      • On Android devices, open the app and tap Menu > Your Account > Sign Out.
      • On iOS devices, open the app and tap the menu icon in the top-left corner, and then choose Settings > "Not [name]?"
  6. Using the Sonos app, complete Alexa setup again. Follow the steps to log into the appropriate Amazon account when prompted to do so.
  7. Once completed, try giving Alexa another command.

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Badge

Hi,

Diagnostic number is 1540596218

Do you use your Amazon account in another home or location? No
When was the last time Alexa worked with your Sonos? It always has, except for Virgin Radio
When you ask Alexa about time and the weather, did she respond correctly? Yes

I think you may have misunderstood the issue.

Alexa is working fine on the play 1, except for when I try to use the speaker to play Virgin Radio using the command “Alexa play Virgin Radio”, (which uses the Virgin Radio Alexa skill) . When I do this playback starts but cuts out randomly.

If I use the command “alexa play Vitgin radio using TuenIn” it works perfectly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jhoranuk, thank you for your response. I appreciate you in answering the questions and for submitting the diagnostic.

The troubleshooting provided is one of the basic steps to perform if Alexa commands not working on Sonos. Trying specific commands may also work with Alexa like "Alexa, play Virgin Radio on TuneIn."
As you have mentioned, Alexa is working with Sonos except for Virgin Radio. 

Upon further checking on your concern, Virgin Radio UK will play on Amazon Alexa devices that you need to enable the skill in the Alexa app. In Sonos, Alexa will play the radio station from the music service that you added in the Sonos app, including TuneIn (no need to add TuneIn in the Sonos app, you can play music without a subscription) and linked to your Alexa app.

To further assist you on this, I recommend contacting Amazon and to check for options.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Badge

Thanks for the reply, I would add that every other Amazon Alexa echo device in my house plays Virgin Radio fine using the “play Virgin radio” command, only Sonos devices have the problem. I’ve talked to Amazon and their reply was “ since this issue is unique to Sonos devices, it sounds like it’s a problem their end”. So I’m afraid it’s back to you. 😊

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jhoranuk, thank you for your reply and for letting me know that you have Amazon Alexa Echo Dot aside from Sonos voice-enabled speaker.

Is Virgin Radio the default music service that you selected in the Alexa app? I have a few suggestions and see if it will work for you.

1. Add Virgin Radio in Sonos app:
    • If Virgin Radio is the default music service in the Alexa app, you can add the Virgin Radio streaming URL in the Sonos app.
    • You need to contact the station you wish to add directly is often the easiest way of finding the streaming URL. Just make sure the stream is of one of the compatible formats; MP3, AAC or WMA.
      • Using the Sonos App for iOS or Android:
      • From the Browse tab, select Radio by TuneIn
      • Tap My Radio Stations
      • Tap the three dots in the top right and tap Add New Radio Station
      • Enter the Streaming URL and Station Name and tap OK
  2. Set TuneIn as the default music service in the Alexa app
    • Virgin Radio is working in Sonos when asked Alexa to play it on TuneIn, you can set TuneIn as the default music service in the Alexa app
    • Open the Alexa App on your phone or go to alexa.amazon.com. 
    • Click the Menu button in the top right corner
    • Go to settings.
    • Scroll down to Alexa Preferences and find Music & Media.
    • Choose Default Music Service.
    • And, select Spotify or Amazon Music.
  3. Option 3: Alexa Group
    • Note: Playing music with Sonos voice-enabled speaker and Alexa Echo Dot at the same time is not available with Sonos. 
    • You can create an Alexa Group and selecting your one of your Sonos speakers (non-voice enabled speakers) as a preferred speaker. With Alexa's preferred speaker feature, you can put multiple Sonos products together in one Alexa Group, like “downstairs” or “outside,” then play music to all of them with a single voice command.

If you're still having the same issue, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process.  I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to remotely access your device and perform some tests

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. The Sonos Community is always here to help.