Answered

Using Show 5 to control Sonos One and grouping question

• 3 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

PART 1: I have a Show 5 and Sonos One in my kitchen. I want the Show to be my Alexa device, but would like the One to be my speaker for music in the Kitchen. When playing music, I don't want to have to specify “kitchen” in my commands. I created a group called Kitchen, and added the Show and Sonos One to that group. The Sonos One is set as the speaker for this group the playback option is set to “Always.” 

Question… Did I set this up right? Should I turn the mic off on the Sonos One? If yes, is there a way to disable the mic so someone (i.e. one of my kids) doesn't press the button and turn on the One’s mic by mistake?

PART 2: I have a Sonos Beam in the living room, which is next to the kitchen. It is connected to my TV via HDMI. Sometimes I want to be able to play the same music through both the Sonos One and the Beam. I created a group called Living Room, and then grouped Kitchen and Living Room into a group called Downstairs. 

Question… Sometimes, when I'm in the kitchen and talking to Alexa, the Beam in the Living Room responds. I'm like 2’ feet from the Show, and 20’ from the Beam. Why the heck is the Beam responding? 

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 3 February 2021, 07:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

In answer to your questions:

1/ Yes, this is setup correctly. I have a similar set-up and in the end I found that the best option was to change the wake word on my Show to 'Computer' ;

2/ Any Alexa device within earshot will initially wake up, Alexa will then respond  from the device that received the strongest voice signal. In this case, your Echo Show.

Userlevel 7

If you are concerned about the One’s mic being turned back on, you can always remove Alexa from the One in the Sonos app.

Badge +1

If you are concerned about the One’s mic being turned back on, you can always remove Alexa from the One in the Sonos app.

Doing this won't impact my ability to play to the speaker via the Show? Thanks!

Userlevel 7

No, it won’t impact your ability to play music through the One from your Show.