Question

Using Alexa on the Sonos One without the Sonos skill

• 13 October 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Will Alexa work on the Sonos One without the Sonos skill?

ie, can I still use other Alexa functions such as turn on Hue lights?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Since Sonos One is an Alexa Enabled device, and this a functionality of Alexa Enabled devices, I think it's pretty safe to assume the answer is yes. To add to that, the Sonos skill should not be tied to any other smart skill, like controlling hue lights, in any way.

All that said, I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Sonos One and not turn on the Sonos skill. I would not be surprised if enabling the Sonos skill is a required configuration in some sort of way.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
So that's a yes then a no?! :D

I don't want the Sonos skill until they fix the issue they call 'ducking' but I want to use the Sonos One to replace my Echo Dot
Yea, I don't work for Sonos and obviously don't have a Sonos to do a test and confirm.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the Sonos One has to be setup with your Sonos account and with your Amazon account. You may not have to setup the skill, but only a Sonos employee can confirm that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Thanks! They have the 100 day returns if it doesn't work
I was going to suggest that too, but that sounded like a crappy answer when there is a strong chance a Sonos employee will read this thread and give you an answer.
Since Sonos One is an Alexa Enabled device, and this a functionality of Alexa Enabled devices, I think it's pretty safe to assume the answer is yes. To add to that, the Sonos skill should not be tied to any other smart skill, like controlling hue lights, in any way.

All that said, I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Sonos One and not turn on the Sonos skill. I would not be surprised if enabling the Sonos skill is a required configuration in some sort of way.

If I get the One, it will be my only Sonos device, I thought the skill was to control other non Alexa enabled Sonos devices?

If I get the One, it will be my only Sonos device, I thought the skill was to control other non Alexa enabled Sonos devices?

The skill is implemented in the cloud, not on any one particular device. If you are going to control any Sonos device via Alexa voice commands, even one with Alexa built in, I would imagine the Sonos skill needs to be enabled.

Think of it this way:

Microphones on device hears Alexa command, sends it to Amazon cloud
Cloud interprets command, sees that it is Sonos related, sends it to Sonos skill.
Sonos skill translates from Alexa to Sonos, sends Sonos command to Sonos cloud
Sonos cloud sends it back to Sonos device, which executes the command.
It's entirely possible that you don't need the skill. But as I said, I can easily see why the setup would require or push you to setting up the skill just so there is no confusion for those people that have multiple Sonos devices and or buy a second Sonos later on.

Regardless, if all you have is a Sonos One, enabling the skill shouldn't impact the functionality available to you one way or another.

Again, I don't work for Sonos. I just have debatably educated guesses.
It's entirely possible that you don't need the skill. But as I said, I can easily see why the setup would require or push you to setting up the skill just so there is no confusion for those people that have multiple Sonos devices and or buy a second Sonos later on.

Regardless, if all you have is a Sonos One, enabling the skill shouldn't impact the functionality available to you one way or another.

Again, I don't work for Sonos. I just have debatably educated guesses.

I think your probably right now that I think about it some more. And the skill would probably be needed to control the Sonos One from other Echo devices.